Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Building up a Bug Out Bag (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/building-up-bug-out-bag-26143/)

SnoMan 04-16-2010 08:20 PM

Building up a Bug Out Bag

I've seen tons of excellent articles about how to assemble a BOB, and I've written an article myself on the topic. But first, some caveats:

1. I'm still testing the shelf-life of the pemmican I've made. I made it three weeks ago and left it in the bag. Tasted it today and it's still good. I'm going to see how long before it goes rancid, and then decide how much to make as I'll need to rotate the stock.

2. The bag is way too heavy for a Bear Grylls situation, but it'll work for short hops and access to a bug out vehicle. If I need to lighten the load for a long haul I'll decide that on the spot.

3. The medical kit is overkill for a BOB. I'm going to store it at the bug out location and carry a smaller kit.

4. This BOB is designed for my particular situation. I live in a rural environment and my home is my primary BOL. Your situation may vary!

Here's the article. Enjoy, and I welcome your comments!

Gus556 04-17-2010 12:03 PM

What did you make your pemmican out of?

I use venison/squirrel, pork fat, and cranberries.
I vacuum seal a bar of that w/ 3 bars of hardtack (in a seperate chamber). I have 10 in dry storage that is about 4 years old and is still good. Overall I have about 6 months supply for four people.

SnoMan 04-17-2010 12:54 PM

Hi Gus, I made pemmican with dried beef, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, dates, raisins, and salt. But I want to adjust the recipe because it gets too runny at room temp. The coconut oil I used was extra-virgin and has a strong coconut flavor, too strong to use alone. My next batch I'll use either non-aromatic coconut oil, lard, or a combination of both, and omit the olive oil.

Gus556 04-17-2010 02:38 PM

You are going to need to choose a fat that is solid at room temp. Of course any cardiologist would advise against such a thing but you are talking about survival food, not a steady diet. If you are down to eating this stuff, you are working that fat off just staying alive.
Also, use dried fruits to absorb any of the looser oils. If you bought a package of jerky from the store, it may have contained too much moisture. You need to make sure the meat is really dry. Grind it up before you mix in the fat. You can dry it further in the oven at low temp.

Mongo 04-25-2010 12:17 AM

Bob

I chose radio & lamp with crank handles No batteries needed.

GatorDude 04-26-2010 03:21 AM

Good article. When I think bug out bag, I think about getting the wife and dog out of the path of a hurricane. While everyone else has 300 rounds of ammo, I'm just thinking having a copy of my insurance policies would be a good idea. I must have the most mundane bugout bag imaginable:

Creating An Emergency Bugout Bag

However, your grandfather's story makes me think a little more seriously about a bugout bag that covers splitting from the whole program...