Building a fallout shelter
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Building a fallout shelter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Default Building a fallout shelter

How does one go about building a fallout shelter in their basement? We are building a house pretty soon and are going to have a storm shelter in our basement and thought we might just make it into a storm/fallout/zombie appocolypse shelter.

Just wandering what you would need like air pump and who you would get to do it.

Now I dont want this thread to get into a big debate of why we would even need this and who your hiding from and things like that.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

There is all kinds of stuff on the internet. Wanted to subscribe.

NEVER FORGET

Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

You might want to be more specific regarding how much radiation/zombie/fallout resistance you think you want to prepare for, as well as listing off other threats you wish to be prepared for.

I would think a filtered air system would be needed for airborne radioactive particals.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9137 Times on 3946 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

There is a TON of info out there, far more than I can put into a posting here- but in general, there are two different things- immediate radiation from the detonation of a nuke, and residual radiation.

Residual radiation, mainly in the form of soil that is sucked through the fireball of a nuke, is fallout. Fallout is a physical particle that happens to be somewhat radioactive. Your goal is to keep that dust away from your body, and not breathe it.

First distance is your friend. The inverse square law has ALL radiation drop sharply as distance increases. Second, you are seeking an air filtration system. That includes pump AND a filter that will pull that dust out of the air before you breathe it. Third, you need a space that will hold that filtered air. Please note that is NOT an airtight space, but one that you can maintain a positive air pressure inside, so that air flowing OUT does not pull dust IN.

Finally, you need a space where you can live- that means eat, drink, sleep, and defecate for at least 2 weeks. Without going outside that sheltered space.

The details will vary, depending on how many people you want to hold, how you are planning to POWER that air pump for two weeks (Con Edison is probably out) It IS possible to build your own manual pump and filter, and you can even make your own basic radiation meter (mine is better, but I am a grad of Nuke Warfare school from years back)

See if our library can score your a copy of "Pulling Through" by Dean Ing. Paperback, but prices on this one are about $20.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #5

Liked 4132 Times on 2022 Posts
Likes Given: 798

If you're worried about fallout I'd suggest a decontamination station where you could wash off with soap should you be out when the nukes hit.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #6

Hey C3, how much $ are we talking in total for a non stocked SHTF shelter for 4 people?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #7

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote of deleted post removed by Mod

You seemed to have missed this scenerio. Which really surprises me because you speek with such certainty in all post, while so easily dismissing other peoples opinions.

http://www.eutimes.net/2011/12/chinese-general-threatens-us-with-world-war-3-over-iran/

NEVER FORGET

Last edited by c3shooter; 01-13-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #8

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Quote of deleted post removed by mod

Guess you didnt read my first post of this thread asking not to make this inro a debate thread about whats more likely to happen. And noone mentioned the russians and noone actually knows what went on with the governtment achieving peace we only know what we are told and im sorry to say that is the bare minimum.

Now back to this threads subject

Last edited by c3shooter; 01-13-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9137 Times on 3946 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Jon- WAY too many variables to name a single $$$ cost. Low end- $1,000. High end- ummm.... how much money did you say you had?

Our place is double duty- storm shelter (had home demolished by tornado in 86) NBC shelter (downwind from a couple of nuclear reactors- ask folks in Japan about that) and wine cellar (nobody said you had to be miserable waiting out the tornado)

Yes, will probably never use it as an NBC shelter. Will probably never use that 20 lb ABC extinguisher in my shop either. But it is there just in case.

We equipped our place over the years, and on the cheap. Radiation meter? Paid $17 for mine, including shipping. Good surplus Civil Defense Victoreen 717 meter, runs on 1 D cell. Yes, been calibrated. You can spend a LOT more.

Filters? Series of filters, coarse to fine. Less than $40. Blower? Farm auction- blacksmith's forge blower- hand cranked. Potty? Camping store going out of business sale- but you CAN use a 5 gal bucket, trash bag liners, and a toilet seat. Lights? LED, Ni-cad, hand generator. Shielding? Filled core block, lined with books. Learned to lay block pretty good.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:02 AM   #10

I would think that building a bunker with railroad ties and covering it with those old asbestos lined refrigeration panels would be a cheap way to set up a fortified shelter. If the asbestos panels are done right and provide enough insulation you might even be able to survive the house burning down around you, and I know the railroad ties provide some serious load bearing support because I helped build an underground bunker with similar looking lumber during some training with combat engineers.

As for air exchange and filtration, I would want the unit inside the bunker along with a gas powered generator that's vented out. Kill the electricity, button down the vents, and your ready for armageddon, at least until your air runs out, then open it up enough to breath. Then again I really don't have any clue what I'm talking about so don't put my idea at the top of the list. Do you think an excercise bike chained to an air pump is a good idea or a waste of space?