Bugging out? Where to?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Bugging out? Where to?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1148 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Bugging out? Where to?

It seems that "bug-out" bags are a must have fashion accessory these days. Don't get me wrong, I have one in each of my vehicles, only I refer to them as my "get home" bags. I am frequently working in Pittsburgh, but live about 65 miles north of the city. My concern is getting back, as I have made the decision to try to get by at home in most SHTF situations. My stuff is here; my water supply is here; my ability to grow food is here. It is difficult to imagine a situation where I would be better off elsewhere.

But, for those of you who do feel that the best plan in a real emergency would be to leave your current location and go elsewhere, how may of you have a specific destination in mind?
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9483 Times on 5122 Posts
Likes Given: 19654

Victims in urban areas might need to get out of the city.

No offense and none taken

Old 06-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #3

Liked 1148 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Victims in urban areas might need to get out of the city.

No offense and none taken
Sure. But have they given a thought as to WHERE they're going, or is the only goal to "get out of the city". Do they have friends or family that own rural property; do they head for national parks; plan to trespass on private property on the basis of "need"?

Just curious how many with bug out bags have thought out the next step.
People Like This 
Old 06-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 570 Posts

I have a get home bag for when I travel for work. As far as bugging out goes, I have a wife and two kids that will have to be bagged and bugged too! We are in the planning phase of building a weekend place with 6.5 acres about 2.5 hours away up in the mountains. It has a fresh water spring, and is in a more defensible area than our house. So my plan is to haul ass up there if we feel the need to leave the home front.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 06-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1089 Times on 580 Posts

I stated this before, I watched a program where a Dept of Fish and Game (forgot what his title was but he helped track the numbers of game to decide number of tags to be given out) state in a SHTF situation we would kill almost every large animal in N America inside 3 days. How many people would shoot every wild animal on site with or without need. It would get horrible for everyone fast, if you don't face a huge reason to leave home don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
rn-cindy Likes This 
Old 06-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #6

Liked 3504 Times on 1789 Posts
Likes Given: 5430

Another thing to think about...If you plan to stay where your at (as we do).. You are going to need help..It wont be long before the people who decided to "bug out" will have starving children, etc. And will do anything to survive. Including killing you off / burning you out, whatever it takes to take what you have... You will need help to be on watch, and defend your location 24/7....You might need a Dozen adults to pull this off. If its just you the wife and kids..? You wont survive the first wave of desperate people...So include in your plan, enough provisions for more than just yourself....
People Like This 
Old 06-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #7

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
I stated this before, I watched a program where a Dept of Fish and Game (forgot what his title was but he helped track the numbers of game to decide number of tags to be given out) state in a SHTF situation we would kill almost every large animal in N America inside 3 days. How many people would shoot every wild animal on site with or without need. It would get horrible for everyone fast, if you don't face a huge reason to leave home don't.
Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
In NC the average is 35 deer to the square mile. There are areas of the state that have over 100 deer to the square mile. Most people don't have a pack of dogs to drive the deer out of dense cover. In a SHTF situation we would shoot anyone who interfered with our hunt. It wouldn't take long for a band of 35 men to clear out all the people who might encroach on our hunt. There is such an abundance of fish and game in many areas if you had to steal from others we would just be putting the thief out of his misery. The area I would go to has everything from runs of millions of fish to bug migrations. yes, I would eat a lot of bugs in a SHTF situation. Uncle Sam spent a lot of money training me to live off the land. I would not let that training go to waste.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #8

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
It seems that "bug-out" bags are a must have fashion accessory these days. Don't get me wrong, I have one in each of my vehicles, only I refer to them as my "get home" bags. I am frequently working in Pittsburgh, but live about 65 miles north of the city. My concern is getting back, as I have made the decision to try to get by at home in most SHTF situations. My stuff is here; my water supply is here; my ability to grow food is here. It is difficult to imagine a situation where I would be better off elsewhere.

But, for those of you who do feel that the best plan in a real emergency would be to leave your current location and go elsewhere, how may of you have a specific destination in mind?
TxP, you may be right about bugging-in, and you may be wrong. It all depends on what happens around you.

Are you downwind of any nuclear power plants like Three Mile Island? If so, that might become your need to bug out.

Are you near any railroad tracks? If so, then a chemical spill might become that reason.

Are you in a flood plain?

Is there a big freeway close to you?

Read 'One Second After' by Forstchen, and then make up your mind about it.

Ultimately we would need to have a good water source -- unpolluted -- and be able to grow vegetables, grains, and rabbits to survive a major disaster -- such as the kind that might reduce the population by 50% or more over time.

The book and its story pretty much discuss the whole event.

Bugging out from the US West Coast might be necessary to avoid an advancing army such as from China or Russia. In 1941 the risk was from Japan.

Bugging out from the US Southwest might be necessary to avoid the same thing from Mexico.

An approaching mega hurricane could force bugging out from the US Gulf Coast.

Generally speaking, anyone living within a few hours' drive from a major city might need to bug out to get away from the exodus of refugees and the criminal element.

There are lots of reasons.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
In NC the average is 35 deer to the square mile. There are areas of the state that have over 100 deer to the square mile. Most people don't have a pack of dogs to drive the deer out of dense cover. In a SHTF situation we would shoot anyone who interfered with our hunt. It wouldn't take long for a band of 35 men to clear out all the people who might encroach on our hunt. There is such an abundance of fish and game in many areas if you had to steal from others we would just be putting the thief out of his misery. The area I would go to has everything from runs of millions of fish to bug migrations. yes, I would eat a lot of bugs in a SHTF situation. Uncle Sam spent a lot of money training me to live off the land. I would not let that training go to waste.
If you read 'The Second After,' everything like that pretty much got picked clean in no time. And if its a war that you want, then the road warrior packs would give you a war, sure. You would lose.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
Another thing to think about...If you plan to stay where your at (as we do).. You are going to need help..It wont be long before the people who decided to "bug out" will have starving children, etc. And will do anything to survive. Including killing you off / burning you out, whatever it takes to take what you have... You will need help to be on watch, and defend your location 24/7....You might need a Dozen adults to pull this off. If its just you the wife and kids..? You wont survive the first wave of desperate people...So include in your plan, enough provisions for more than just yourself....
Exactly ...

It would take a village to survive such a crisis -- a whole village.

One with doctors, and nurses, and a mayor, and a council, and a militia -- the most daunting challenge would be the exodus of road vagabonds and the road warriors in their wake.

I supposed that if you could make it up to northern Canada or to Alaska, you might be able to survive alone. But anywhere else in the lower 48 it would not be possible to survive alone outside of an organized and fortified village.
People Like This