Bugging out when and why? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bugging out when and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Think about an EMP attack or type of failure. Very few cars will run, most communications will be shut down, basically a complete loss of power, semi's won't roll with supplies and food, etc.

I think this is a very real danger and possibility. I suggest everyone read "One Second After" by William B. Forstchen.

We are only an hour from Sacramento, a major city full of the unprepared, the snivelers and whiners, the entitlement community, the socially crippled, the criminal and the sheep. Some would make their way here. I do not plan on giving them welcome to my home or the results of my forethought and hard work.

I have some trusted friends who will be welcome here, but they must bring as many supplies and necessities as they can. Our supplies, while pretty well stocked, are finite.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #22

Look at the warnings NASA has been putting out about solar flares. Many experts agree that a solar flare has the potential to disrupt communication and power. Depending on the intensity it could be for an extended period of time.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #23

no, see this is where i run into a personel dilemma. with a colapse would come chaos. with chaos comes destruction. where do you begin to draw the line between storing food, then storing ammo? where is it you determine that the johnsons are good people, but you know the franklins are already insane and you gotta do what you gotta do. because if people know u have food and supplies, chances are there not going to waste time to get to know you and ask. they want it and they want it all and they dont give a damn about you. i understand in the country its different. small town, people know you. but you cant tell me while walking through the grocery store in that hickville you call home, you dont spot the 2 or 3 families in there and immidiatly think, "nope, f**k them all."

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 07-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
no, see this is where i run into a personel dilemma. with a colapse would come chaos. with chaos comes destruction. where do you begin to draw the line between storing food, then storing ammo? where is it you determine that the johnsons are good people, but you know the franklins are already insane and you gotta do what you gotta do. because if people know u have food and supplies, chances are there not going to waste time to get to know you and ask. they want it and they want it all and they dont give a damn about you. i understand in the country its different. small town, people know you. but you cant tell me while walking through the grocery store in that hickville you call home, you dont spot the 2 or 3 families in there and immidiatly think, "nope, f**k them all."
What's the quandry?

Do what you can afford to do. Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance. When all else fails, squeeeeazzzze...

Old 07-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #25
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1827 Times on 1052 Posts
Likes Given: 3749

I am on the outer area of the suburbanites world. The hard part is, do not have the land to bug out to, since moving around with the military all these years. Family, no relatives remaining, zero, nothing! The wife has relatives - in Germany!

When I do do to the grocery store for some goods. The local stores near my area will be picked clean in a few hours of the essential items. More population than grocery stores to go around.

Bugging out would be hard, we have 2 main arteries into Albuquerque - Interstate 25 (North/South) and Interstate 40 (East/West); both will be bottle necks. We a few other routes, pass South Valley their is non-interstate heading south and west. Going North you could hit 550 and go Northwest or go to Placitas route which connects to other back roads to the east.

Scenario would be stay put and move last. It is based on what is happening at the time.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPat View Post
What's the quandry?

Do what you can afford to do. Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance. When all else fails, squeeeeazzzze...
my quandry is, well its not mine it seems to be the others ive talk to about this, where do you draw the line between helping and, for a lack of a better word, terminating.

people ive talked to about surviving or hording i should say, focus intently on stockpiling and thats it. they talk about having a survival rifle, some piss ant .22 or some bolt action piece for hunting. none of these (not here) hermits seem to even humor the fact that, if someone like me, who didnt have morals and honor, was out of food, and i have a starving 2 year old. im coming for you. im not going to beg nor plead for help or hand outs. im going to destroy your nest and take all i want. and i wont be carrying a wuss ass .22.

where does one draw the line between surviving, and fortifying, and more importantly, knowing what is really coming from others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
I am on the outer area of the suburbanites world. The hard part is, do not have the land to bug out to, since moving around with the military all these years. Family, no relatives remaining, zero, nothing! The wife has relatives - in Germany!

When I do do to the grocery store for some goods. The local stores near my area will be picked clean in a few hours of the essential items. More population than grocery stores to go around.

Bugging out would be hard, we have 2 main arteries into Albuquerque - Interstate 25 (North/South) and Interstate 40 (East/West); both will be bottle necks. We a few other routes, pass South Valley their is non-interstate heading south and west. Going North you could hit 550 and go Northwest or go to Placitas route which connects to other back roads to the east.

Scenario would be stay put and move last. It is based on what is happening at the time.
one thing in the zombie survival guide states that actually carry over to other things is stay the hell off of the main road ways. best way is to just travel on foot. in the first moments and few weeks off, the road will be packed with cars fleeing, then as time passes it will be filled with dead cars and people following the roads, then even later it will be filled with dead cars, bodies, and raiders. ill stay in the treeline myself.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Last edited by usmcprofessional; 07-29-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I will help who I can, when I can, when I choose. My wife is ill and she's my number one priority. After that, close friends and after that, what is left may be up for charity.

Professional, I understand what you're saying. Children are a precious gift. However, the onus is on you to prepare beforehand. Then you can take care of you and yours and maybe help some others.

I'm not shooing anybody unless they come for me or mine. Then, the Devil take the hindmost.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #28

Thats why I store everything, food, water, ammo, medical supplies, fuel, the works!
I will help all I can, my primary focus is my family, my town, myself....in that order. Order will be maintained in our little hamlet and security is foremost in all planning. Luckily we have tilled farmland, working dairy farms, chicken farms, and plenty of non hybrid seeds and even hybrid seeds. Hybrid seeds are genetically manipulated to be able to survive less than ideal growing conditions and non hybrids allow you to collect their seeds to plant again.
Being a member of the local Church and FD I know everyone and everyone knows me. We hunt the land, play in the river, and ride the land on ATV's snowmobiles and horses. We know the land and all of the neat little places to overlook the valley. Confidence in a good pre-plan is key.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #29

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I bugged out last night, grabbed what I could and jumped out the second story windown. Dam near broke a leg doing it. Her Hunband came home early while we were half undressed.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #30
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1827 Times on 1052 Posts
Likes Given: 3749

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
one thing in the zombie survival guide states that actually carry over to other things is stay the hell off of the main road ways. best way is to just travel on foot. in the first moments and few weeks off, the road will be packed with cars fleeing, then as time passes it will be filled with dead cars and people following the roads, then even later it will be filled with dead cars, bodies, and raiders. ill stay in the treeline myself.
I wish I could follow the treeline, mostly sand and open desert. Getting out will be a fight if you go out in the daylight. Travel at night and no lights! Still the roads in either direction will be jammed. Heading into the mesa with no 4x4 is too risky.