Bugging out when and why? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bugging out when and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Depends on the scenario. I would stay as long as possible but there are just cases when you have to bug out ASAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPat View Post
No matter where you are, or what your preparations, if you aren't situated to move, and move fast with whatever you feel it will take to keep you and your loved ones alive, then you're only half prepared.

Anything could force you to move, even from a "hardened" site. Forest or prarie fires, disease, weather (hurricanes and tornadoes come to mind), flooding, enemy action - a hundred other things.
Indeed. Take total advantage of your current shelter/situation, until it doesn't offer you any more advantages.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #12

ive always had a problem with survivalist mentalities. other than an invading enemy army, theres no real reason to move with bulk loaded supplies. if its a natural disaster its not really bugging out, its more like fleeing and hoping you have home owners insurance. not even a collapsed government is a big deal. hell, even the people who lived in neighborhoods in egypt banded together and provided local security for everyone. people can govern themselves.

If it came down to the bigger problems such as a dynamic social change, im not sure what would cause that, but the collapse of the major social structure what so ever. my idea was that i already have about 2 weeks worth of food in my place. after that i dont need to just survive. i just need to survive you.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 07-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #13

i can see the government collapsing pretty soon. the way things rae going it seems likey, especially with goings on in the military. ive seen my unit purchase multiple items that cost tens of thousands of dollars... just for them to sit on a shelf rather than purchasing stuff we have asked for or even things that would be useful. so i can see that happening fairly soon. luckily i have a well armed family that is pretty well spread out among the country and i know exactly where i would go if the government did collapse. up into a close knit community in the mountains of utah. i know from experience there is a lot of game there. a ton of farmland. a lot of cattle, dairy and meat. but as for my preparations, im stocking up on ammunition. ammo is one thing that can provide some of the most essential things in the situation, food and defense. and a few other simple items would provide everything else i need. i already have clothes. a few duffel bags full of military gear from a stint through ranger school. but it really is surprising how simple a survival kit can be.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
ive always had a problem with survivalist mentalities. other than an invading enemy army, theres no real reason to move with bulk loaded supplies. if its a natural disaster its not really bugging out, its more like fleeing and hoping you have home owners insurance. not even a collapsed government is a big deal. hell, even the people who lived in neighborhoods in egypt banded together and provided local security for everyone. people can govern themselves.

If it came down to the bigger problems such as a dynamic social change, im not sure what would cause that, but the collapse of the major social structure what so ever. my idea was that i already have about 2 weeks worth of food in my place. after that i dont need to just survive. i just need to survive you.
With the uncertainty of todays world and how fragile farmland is and has become some feel it is wise to be prepared for the unknown. In my case I was working EMS during a major flood in our area 5 years ago. Our little town ended up a virtual island. We were cut off from all points north and south. It took a week before roads were passable to go get supplies. During that time We responded to multiple calls where people simply ran out of items they needed. Everything from food to O2 and drinking water. Luckily I have been a prepper for the past 10 years and have amassed a tidy collection of items to ensure the continuity of basic needs. That was for a simple flood and clean drinking water. If the drought continues in the country's major farmlands, food prices could go through the roof and shortages could result. Having a strong supply is just good planning.
In the 2003 northeast blackout we lost power for a few days and even after it was restored we still had rolling blackouts that lasted almost 5 days. During that time the local grocery store to the north of us ran low on almost everything and ran out of a lot of items. It was a little over a week and a half before they were restocked to normal levels. Even after that there was an abnormally amount of bare necessities that were being purchased up at higher than normal rates.
These are two examples that happend in our little town in the past 8 years. Having family that works for ISO NY (Independent system operator of NY) and hearing their concern about our incredibly fragile and vulnerable power grid, I am not worried about government shutdown, terrorist attack, or zombies exiting their graves, I am concerned with the reality of a crumbling infrastructure and the realities of natural events that could isolate my family from needed items.
If you want to see a productive society turn into a scary mess, simply turn off the power for a week. Things will get real bad in a real hurry.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
ive always had a problem with survivalist mentalities. other than an invading enemy army, theres no real reason to move with bulk loaded supplies.
Really? I can probably imagine a dozen. Easy.

Quote:
if its a natural disaster its not really bugging out, its more like fleeing and hoping you have home owners insurance.
Using different words to describe it doesn't change what it is...

Quote:
not even a collapsed government is a big deal. hell, even the people who lived in neighborhoods in egypt banded together and provided local security for everyone. people can govern themselves.
Uh. Given that most people in this country can't cut a grocery store chicken up for frying, much less butcher one even if they were available; and literally millions of people exist off the government tit I think you're mildly understating the danger there...

Quote:
You're not sure what could cause a societal breakdown? Two weeks, hell, a week without power and water and the ability to purchase a steak at Ingles. Good luck man, you're gonna need it.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #16

hahah im just being optimistic about it homie. if people start rioting cause the welfare checks stop coming i could care less. 500 yds around the house will be forever secured and if i need to, i got ma in the ozark hills and enough cows for supply they'd evolve into a higher species before i could eat half of them.

then id waste my days bulls**ting with all of you on the FTF forum: HAM style.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 07-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
enough cows for supply they'd evolve into a higher species before i could eat half of them.
I snorted hot coffee when I read that. Too funn!

Old 07-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #18

I agree, all it would take is for the power to go off for a couple weeks I was discussing this with the wife just this week. She asked if I really thought the power would get shut off. Darn right! That would be the easiest way to upset most people's life. We all know that the power grids are set up so that different areas can be shut off at any time. Then most would be herded into so called "shelter", which is a big mistake for them. Then the masses can be controled.

During the hurricanes in 2005, power was out for over a week to the houses behind me in my subdivision. We only lost power for about 12 hours. They are on a different grid then us. I ran extension cords to the 2 neighbors directly behind me so that they could have enough to run thier refrigerator and a lite or two. They stayed the entire time. Most of the homes around them were fled from and were empty for most of the time. I know that will happen again if the power goes off. I am ready with generators and fuel if it happens to my wife and myself.

No electricty means no fuel and food because most stores would be shut down from the lack of power. How many do you know that have back up generator to keep them open? Not even to say get re-stocked. Then what? If you don't have your own stash you will be out of luck and will be scavaging to fullfil your needs. That is what I am most worried about! Other people seeing that I am prepared will want my supplies. Well good luck! I will defend my stash as will everyone else that has planned.

Sooner than later? Well we will see but I am going to be as prepared as possible. We will stay as long as we can or decide that we need to move.

Bottom line is that you do not know what tommorrow will bring! Make sure you plan for the worst and pray for the best.

Mark

Last edited by MLRDist; 07-29-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #19

I forgot to mention. Yes, we do have 2 different places to go if and when it is time to go. They both have shelter and good water. Both have pleanty of wildlife as well as farms bordering them. Disscussions have taken place with the people from both places and we are all in agreement as how to handle different situations.

Mark

Old 07-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLRDist View Post
I agree, all it would take is for the power to go off for a couple weeks I was discussing this with the wife just this week. She asked if I really thought the power would get shut off. Darn right! That would be the easiest way to upset most people's life. We all know that the power grids are set up so that different areas can be shut off at any time. Then most would be herded into so called "shelter", which is a big mistake for them. Then the masses can be controled.

During the hurricanes in 2005, power was out for over a week to the houses behind me in my subdivision. We only lost power for about 12 hours. They are on a different grid then us. I ran extension cords to the 2 neighbors directly behind me so that they could have enough to run thier refrigerator and a lite or two. They stayed the entire time. Most of the homes around them were fled from and were empty for most of the time. I know that will happen again if the power goes off. I am ready with generators and fuel if it happens to my wife and myself.

No electricty means no fuel and food because most stores would be shut down from the lack of power. How many do you know that have back up generator to keep them open? Not even to say get re-stocked. Then what? If you don't have your own stash you will be out of luck and will be scavaging to fullfil your needs. That is what I am most worried about! Other people seeing that I am prepared will want my supplies. Well good luck! I will defend my stash as will everyone else that has planned.

Sooner than later? Well we will see but I am going to be as prepared as possible. We will stay as long as we can or decide that we need to move.

Bottom line is that you do not know what tommorrow will bring! Make sure you plan for the worst and pray for the best.

Mark
Yep. Ever had the power go out while you're standing in line at Wal-Mart? Yeah, you ain't buying crap. I've watched people literally flip out when that happens. If the sheeple masses react so negatively for a simple power outage at the Wally world checkout line... think about it.