Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Bugging out when and why? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/bugging-out-when-why-45782/)

cpttango30 07-25-2011 10:15 PM

Bugging out when and why?

I keep seeing When SHTF i'm buggin out.

Not to pick on Gus but in his medical supply thread. He lines out his small community. If I were in a small tight nit community I would think it would be better to build up and fortify your position and stay put. If a rural area where you can grow plenty of food and feed for animals you have people who you know can work hard and fight good. Why leave? You know the area well enough to get around outside the wire to hunt and get back in without being noticed.

So when and why would you bug out.

Me I am a heavily populated area with a bunch of suburbanites who can hardly survive 2' of snow. When the power is out more than 24 hours everyone freaks out. 6" of snows and people are buying 100 rolls of tp and 9 gals of milk. Canned food will be gone in a matter of hours.

Seven 07-25-2011 10:49 PM

Honestly? I plan on bugging in if the SHTF.
I'm safer, I don't have to carry food or water, there's a roof.

But, I keep a bag packed. ;)

JonM 07-25-2011 10:56 PM

im heading back to texas if shtf. im waaaay too close to the cesspools of milwaukee and chicago.

Poink88 07-25-2011 11:15 PM

Depends on the scenario. I would stay as long as possible but there are just cases when you have to bug out ASAP.

dnthmn2004 07-25-2011 11:44 PM

If it was total government meltdown and riots everywhere, I'd pack up everything I needed and bring my whole family to my Grandmother in law's house in VT. Its the quietest place I can think of - she basically has an entire side of a mountain to herself. My goal would simply be to stay out of the way until the dust settles.

Dennis845 07-25-2011 11:52 PM

House bout a radioactive dust cloud heading your way :eek:

Or the un-dead zombies rising out of your local cemetery at dusk :confused:

And last but certainly not least. The telephone rings, you just found out your mother-in-law is coming for a visit :mad:

wmille01 07-25-2011 11:56 PM

what was said before depends on the situation, I have a bag packed in the house then my work bag in the truck. I always have just in case supplies in my truck for like if I break down in the middle of BF egypt. If it going to possibly hurt my family or the people I care about and I can't stop it right then and there (riots, government collapse...etc) I'm leaving just because my family comes first, Ide rather be safe then sorry.

deathkricket 07-26-2011 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis845 (Post 549806)
House bout a radioactive dust cloud heading your way :eek:

Or the un-dead zombies rising out of your local cemetery at dusk :confused:

And last but certainly not least. The telephone rings, you just found out your mother-in-law is coming for a visit :mad:

They are all good reason to scream and bug the F out.

Gus556 07-26-2011 02:00 AM

Why would that be pickin on me tango? I made the choice to be small town johnny and I know for me and my family it is the right choice.
Anyhow, history is one of those subjects I have spent my free time studying. The history of the human race is one of the most amazing tales one can read. One thing that has been repeated time and time again is the meltdown of societies. The greater the society, the more they THINK they are impervious to it. The more affluent the kingdom, the more they think nothing will ever happen to them. Yet time and time again, things beyond their control or things because of their control has caused them to collapse. I have kept this in mind every time my wife or I have had oppertunities to move to greener pastures. As a medic, I could have moved to more populated areas and made 4x (or more) the money I made locally. As a chemical technician I could have made 2 or 3x the money and have stock options and benefit packages that are to weep for. I could never actually load up the family and make the move. It isnt that I live in fear but when I see current events, I know there is an internal political strife that we as a nation will not be able to sustain. I see what is happening in European nations with the collapse of their financial systems and the Euro is droppin like a sinker that fell off it's line and it's not even 20 years old.
Point is, I think people are going to have to bug out sooner rather than later. I dont think any current mainstream political party has the American people's best interest in mind while they spend all of the money they take out of our paychecks with the promise of a better tomorrow. When people finally KNOW they have been screwed over, it is going to get real ugly real fast.
To that extent, I have spent a better part of my adult life prepping. I have 60+ acres of tilled land around me. I have a small community where I know everyone and everyone knows me. I belong to the local fire department, I go to the local church, and when it is harvest season you can find my ass on an International harvester helping out the local farms ensuring that when the SHTF, I have milk and beef and all I have to do is ask. I get no money for my work and tell them to reinvest it in their farm when they offer. I dont need money, I need security for my family and my community.
When the SHTF I will be right here with a well armed local yokel malitia that is ready to do whatever is needed to keep all of us safe, fed, and secure. If I am bugging out.......I cant think of any reason I would but if I am it is because this spot will not sustain life.

FatPat 07-26-2011 12:56 PM

No matter where you are, or what your preparations, if you aren't situated to move, and move fast with whatever you feel it will take to keep you and your loved ones alive, then you're only half prepared.

Anything could force you to move, even from a "hardened" site. Forest or prarie fires, disease, weather (hurricanes and tornadoes come to mind), flooding, enemy action - a hundred other things.