Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bugging out,SHTF,ect..WHAT IF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Bugging out,SHTF,ect..WHAT IF

I enjoy these survival topics and have learned alot. Like what to do if the ammo paint starts to rub off the ammo can and other cool stuff.

But I had a thought hit me like a ton of bricks. My mom and aunt came down to visit this weekend.

My parents aren't going to be able to "bug" out. I'm not leaving them. I know some of you crazies will find some way to justify leaving them. "oh their old" "they told me to leave them" blah blah blah...

If you're the kind of person who could leave you're parents behind you're not the type of person I want in my camp. How long till you/they betrayed the camp?

What do you all think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I beleive you will find two schools of thought here.

First of all, bugging out is not recommended unless it is fairly certain that remaining in place will result in life being threatened in the near future. The majority of people in populated areas have no clue how to survive for more than one day out in the wilderness. I'd give myself three days in a worst case scenario. While my wife and I have been studying this topic for years now, we lack enough practical experience. Our best chances is to hunker down with enough food and water for three weeks. Stay indoors until the danger has passed.

From my research I have concluded the following, take it for what its worth and I'm sure some Prepared Citizens with real experience will be along to comment.

If you are bugging out you'll need to consider everyone's ability to take care of themselves - of course you'll take your immediate family, but you are responsible for them. Any other able-bodied adult who can contribute to a team effort, able to take the lead as well as follow directions, physically and mentally fit would be an asset - there is strength in numbers. But at the other end of the spectrum, if things are really desperate, you will only want to consider what is best for yourself, your spouse and your children - everyone else will have to look out for themselves. Sounds harsh, but it could your best strategy for survival.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, I'm not sure what you are asking exactly. You've made up your mind to stay with/rescue family who may not be able to save themselves. Some might say that this is dumb - which it may be in the strictest sense of personal survival - and others will applaud you for your humanity and loyalty.

I think that each persons level of compassion is different, and they should account for it in their planning. Since you know now that you will try to save others, then you must prepare yourself to do that. When stockpiling, stockpile for a group, since you can't expect the others to come with supplies, this means to store enough food, water, weapons, toiletries blankets etc for many people - all provided by you at your expense before a disaster!

It could be good to know the skills of the people you expect to have around, ie if they are doctors or hunters etc. You should use these peoples strengths as much as possible to help make them a boon, and not a burden to you.

Also prepare yourself for patience, since you are carrying the team, everyone is looking to you, you will need to have a plan for everything, and must put up with their weakness if they slow you down (which they probably will).

In the end you become responsible for everyone that you save, they will rely on you, and be a drag on you, possibly endangering your life. Know these facts and prepare for them. I believe that compassion is good and that we should save others as much as possible because in the end it takes more than one man to rebuild society, but that compassion can be expensive and risky for those who burden themselves with the safety of others.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 09-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

But if you're asking whether or not to bug out with family... well you do what you need to. Bugging out is usually a last resort, unless you bug out in the earliest stages of a disaster. Since most people miss that stage, they all try to bugout in the middle of a disaster, which makes everything harder - sometimes it is too late to make a mistake!

Anyways, unless you can make it out before the disaster - which is unlikely for anyone to do. Then you should only bugout when its absolutely necessary, and staying where you are will result in death.

So I guess my advice for you is to BugIn. Since you plan to save others bugging in allows you to have more supplies and space to save several people. And staying in one spot is easier than trying to move a group of people who are in different states of physical fitness and speed. Bugging in will be your best choice.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 09-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't think anyone would be so cold as to abandon family to die--or at least few would admit it.

Bugging in sounds like your only option, unless your home is being overrun by flame or zombies.

As far as the "they told me to leave" issue goes, I'd like to think that if my parents knew they weren't going to survive, they wouldn't want me to risk my life trying to save them if they knew I would likely get away if I left. I don't imagine any decent parent would feel any different. Hell, if the roles were reversed, I'd still want them to leave if I, for example, had broken legs or something and danger was approaching too fast for us all to escape together. I'd rather go out knowing I did everything I could to save the others around me, than die knowing I took all my loved ones with me...

Old 09-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Bugging in sounds like your only option, unless your home is being overrun by flame or zombies.
"flaming zombies" rofl..if that happens I'll just put on celine dion with some cheese and crackers...that should give me plenty of time to get out safe whiles they mingle and talk about Ellen.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8439 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Dodger- I understand (I think) your feelings- but I will ask you to give some thought to what you said in your first post.

Yes, I understand- you would not want to abandon your parents. Are you married? What about your WIFE'S parents? If they cannot leave where THEY are, do you think your wife wants to abandon them?

My folks passed away some years ago. I am a father, grandfather, great grandfather. So- who gets me??? (Answer- the highest bidder )

Now, in our case, our plans are that we already ARE where we want to be- and there is room for the whole clan at Casa de C3. But I realize that OUR kids have spouses, and in-laws- and that THEIR plans may be different from OUR plans.

I DO applaud you for honorable intentions- but ask that you consider that other folks may have other circumstances.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If we have to bug out, we have to move to even higher ground. But I don't know if we could/would. My wife is ill and her condition at that time will determine if we stay or go.

I plan for this place to be a rally point for some friends from town if they can get here.

I've given this a great deal of thought and I just can't project what will happen or what the best decision will be. I guess when the times comes the decision will be made.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-12-2011, 01:19 AM   #9

C3, were lucky. not married no kids. My GF has little to no contact with her parents. Weve been together 8 years and have never met her mom and her dad once. They're on their own. Were going to be pretty mobile. I only really have 3 people I deeply care for. Parents and GF

IF, im able to get to them, my parents, that's all I plan on securing unless a few get picked up along the way.

You always good points C3 keep it up bud

Old 09-12-2011, 03:08 AM   #10

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Anyone shtfing, bugging out or whatever, that has not already laid in place the plan for friends / family, has only half assed prepared.

They will likely regret this if a catastrophic situation ever arises, and will wish they had prepared more completely.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?