Bug Out Property - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bug Out Property

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 04:12 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Where as a bug out property would be good, it would depend on what you are running from.
My wife's family lives in Bedford, Indiana. One of the largest employers in the area is Crane Navel Surface Warefare Center which is pretty much butted up against where you would run to.
It is a wonderful area though. I take the wife down, unload the sport bike, and ride through the twisties running through the roads though the hills and woods run from my in-laws.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Last edited by CourtJester; 08-26-2010 at 04:15 AM.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:24 AM   #12

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

In most SHTF situations, getting there will be the most difficult. I would love to get to my in-laws in such a situation. It is only 3.5 hours north of me.

But there are only a few roads there, and over a couple dozen bridges. In most SHTF scenarios, I'm not going to be able to make it.

If it is a LONG-term problem, I may consider walking there, but it would take a week and I may have to ford a few rivers. Lame!

I'm going to bug-IN!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
Where as a bug out property would be good, it would depend on what you are running from.
My wife's family lives in Bedford, Indiana. One of the largest employers in the area is Crane Navel Surface Warefare Center which is pretty much butted up against where you would run to.
It is a wonderful area though. I take the wife down, unload the sport bike, and ride through the twisties running through the roads though the hills and woods run from my in-laws.
I hear ya. Wheres anybody really gonna go if things get ugly. Who can tell how it'll play out, GOD forbid it does. As far as the Naval Ctr, I'm not sure what your implying the significance of that is but...... theres gotta be thousands of defense contractors in the U.S. not to mention dams, nuclear power plants, military bases.........the list is endless. Shoot, even that big train repair yard, you know the one that 'they' say has the razor wire on top of the fences pointed INWARD. From what i've heard thats in Indiana as well.
Out the gate I said the title may be a lil bit misleading and right after pulling the trigger on the submit button I regrettted using it.

"BE NOT AFRAID"

Last edited by StrayDog; 08-27-2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Edit to change the word SH*T to SHOOT

Old 08-27-2010, 03:10 AM   #14

"You bring up a good point about the water. It will be a major factor in any decisions. After doing a little research nitrates from fertilizer seems to be a pretty big issue across the country. Anybody familier w/ that problem?"

During The Civil War the North blockaded The South and cut off their supply of foreign Salt Peter. As domestic sources began to fall also, The Confederates began to collect "night soil" to make their powder. Bat manure or guano was a source, too. So, when the sh** hits the fan just make sure you collect it and extract the nitrates. Sort of gives recycling a whole new name.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:12 AM   #15

deleted.....

Last edited by MajorCordite; 08-27-2010 at 03:20 AM.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCordite View Post
"You bring up a good point about the water. It will be a major factor in any decisions. After doing a little research nitrates from fertilizer seems to be a pretty big issue across the country. Anybody familier w/ that problem?"

During The Civil War the North blockaded The South and cut off their supply of foreign Salt Peter. As domestic sources began to fall also, The Confederates began to collect "night soil" to make their powder. Bat manure or guano was a source, too. So, when the sh** hits the fan just make sure you collect it and extract the nitrates. Sort of gives recycling a whole new name.
Thats very interesting not to mention ingenious on the part of the South. Theres alotta caves up where I'm looking so theres probably no shortage of bats.. I sure would like to learn more about that. No sh*t (J/kiddin' bout the no sh*t part) I'm a Yankee, just could'nt resist. Thank Ya Major.

"BE NOT AFRAID"

Last edited by StrayDog; 08-27-2010 at 04:03 AM.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #17

I've been making my own powder for years. You can also extract nitrates from seaweed, also. The Germans did it during WWI. Currently I'm getting a lot of bang for my buck. I'm still working on the smell, however. Don't laugh. My poot-gun loads are accurate out to several hundred yards. So, if you hear that Major Cordite has "cut one" you had better duck!