Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bug Out Property

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bug Out Property

The title is a little misleading. !st of all I honestly hope I'd never have to "run" anywhere but I have been giving some serious thought about buying a small piece of land, bug out land hopefully is a function it will never have to serve but anyway it's about an acre & 1/2 and borders Hoosier National Forest in far Southern Indiana. It's rural w/ a capital R but it's been surveyed has electric and water and a new gravel road and level building site. No structures on the property but no restrictions either other than no trailer homes older than 5yrs allowed. On a good day it's a 6ish hr drive.
Any suggestions as to the pros & or cons of living next to a Nat'l forest? The distance?
Growing up in Chicago I've always had a pretty strong aversion to the State of Indiana in general wich I now attribute to ignorance. I rekon because really all I knew about it was passing thru Gary. I gotta say though, I took a ride that led me thru the Southern part of the state and it is wooded with really nice rolling hill country.
Anybody familier with the area? All thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

"BE NOT AFRAID"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5635 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 4721

The only national forest i'm familiar with is the Desoto National Forest, down here in MS. If you like bacon, the Desoto would be a great area to be near; it is fairly full of game to hunt, especially wild hogs.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 08-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Stray Dog, I must applaud you on something that I think far too many people don't even consider (or maybe that's just my perception).

I can't tell you the number of people that I have heard over the years that talk about bugging out. Only when asked "Where are you bugging out to?" have a response of "the woods". That irks the crap out of me. Because I live Rural. I drive an hour into the city to go to work. And I can tell you that if someone thinks they are going to come out to the "woods" and just set up camp . . . . . they should probably make other plans.

So kudos to you good sir for thinking ahead.

Sorry, but I don't know the area you are asking about, so I'm no help there. And I don't want to sound stereotypical, but I live down in Texas, so a six hour drive isn't bad to get to your bug out place. I've always thought though that having land that bordered a National Forest was a pretty good plan. I'd say if you can afford it, then why not. It never hurts to have your own little retreat in the wilderness and at the very least wouldn't be a bad place to take little camping trips with the family.

Good Luck.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
EdH

My Bug Out Property is the same as where I live currently. I work 40 miles from where I live so I've got to make it home. I have a couple acres in the farmland and woods of South Central Pennsylvania. I've got a well, sand mound and a small generator and wind turbine for emergency. I also own 7 horses for transport in order to save fuel.

I suppose if the SHTF while I'm at home I'll be Buggin In..

Wife and I bought 20 acres in the Ozarks of Southern Missouri 3 years ago. deed in hand. I can retire in about 7 years and we are heading out there.

Make a plan, stick to it as close as possible. If you get off track get back on as soon as possible.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:58 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

As stated, having a place to go just in case is a good idea. I'm not sure how much an acre or 1/2 acre will serve as a Bug Out Place. If it has utilities, then there are other lots around about the same size, I imagine. Who is to say that there will be electric service in whatever SHTF situation you encounter. Forget water service if no electric. Nuttin from nuttin, but to me a true bug out place is like 1000 acres with a cabin directly in the center. That way, if you see another human, you know they are trespassing.

Still, a small plot of land away from the city is always a good idea in my book. If it makes you feel better, then go for it.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
As stated, having a place to go just in case is a good idea. I'm not sure how much an acre or 1/2 acre will serve as a Bug Out Place. If it has utilities, then there are other lots around about the same size, I imagine. Who is to say that there will be electric service in whatever SHTF situation you encounter. Forget water service if no electric. Nuttin from nuttin, but to me a true bug out place is like 1000 acres with a cabin directly in the center. That way, if you see another human, you know they are trespassing.

Still, a small plot of land away from the city is always a good idea in my book. If it makes you feel better, then go for it.
I hear ya friend. Yeah, it's property that they cut up into lots for sale. Theres somewheres around a dozen available ranging in size from 20acres down to a couple one and a half to 2 acre plots but nothing is written in stone at this point. Heck, I havn't even been up there yet. I'm shootin' for next wknd. My situation at home is kind of unique and getting away for any period of time, even a coupla days is difficult.
I'm willing & prepared here as much as I believe I can be in a 2 bdrm condo to ride out whatever I had to but a Plan B would be nice. I'm sitting just outside the bullseye of a target zone and considering the current political situation both here and abroad not to mention the rest of the mess........Anyway, I 'preciate the well wishes. I'll keep ya updated.

You bring up a good point about the water. It will be a major factor in any decisions. After doing a little research nitrates from fertilizer seems to be a pretty big issue across the country. Anybody familier w/ that problem?

"BE NOT AFRAID"

Old 08-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like a good idea to me.
And being right next to the forest is great IMO. You could always put a cabin on the land and use it as a hunting shack for you and your buddies!

Old 08-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've sen places out in west Texas for pretty cheap on eBay. 40-80 acres. I bet some like minded individuals could go in on a piece of land and make a pretty nice compound.

I guess that was not very germane to the topic, was it?

Old 08-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know Ineff, they tried that in Waco and Janet Reno massacred the lot of them. We have to keep it on the QT.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:25 AM   #10
EdH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
I've sen places out in west Texas for pretty cheap on eBay. 40-80 acres. I bet some like minded individuals could go in on a piece of land and make a pretty nice compound.

I guess that was not very germane to the topic, was it?
You can find land in the Sangria De Cristo Mountains of Southern Colorado for pennies on the dollar.