bug out in the mountains - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > bug out in the mountains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1715 Posts
Likes Given: 17669

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
Yeah that's a real problem, a lot of us older guys sort of rely on meds for different things. Blood pressure meds, diabetes and so on. It wouldn't be fun if they're suddenly cut off.
That one particular area I,ve been research for quite a while now ..! I,ll make it .
Many of the choices I,ve made in the past two years is through intense searches and other ways ,natural ways to combat my personal afflictions . I,ll make it , no doubt....! Anywhere , anytime ...!

There is with altitude , a cutoff point..! No trees , birds , vegetation , animals , not much of anything unless you brought it..! You,ll find water but once around 11'000 ft or so , not much else..!

One other question comes to mind...! You do know there are already people living there and may not be so accommodating.! I live in such a place , (off the grid) and we have a way of protecting what is ours..!
I personally welcome any useful people's to the cause , but to think someone would come and try to take it would be ........?

Should events take a bad turn , let me know you,re coming and you,ll probably live longer and happier..! I would never turn useful people away and no man is an island , it,ll take a group effort..!

Last edited by dango; 04-21-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #42

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I find it so funny that when comparing life to video games, people still make reference to the reset button on the old NES... y'all so silly! These days you just respawn mid game!

Old 04-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2995 Times on 1715 Posts
Likes Given: 17669

Trip , you and the lady always welcome....! HOoooooo. Yaul....!

Old 04-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 322 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I grew up living in the pucker brush, you can have it...but at my age, I'm staying in my home and if this so-called SHTF event happens, they'll find me sitting in my comfy recliner near a fireplace with a bottle of Pendleton holding my .45 and eating OREO's....I ain't running from nobody.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

People Like This 
Old 04-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #45

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
Trip , you and the lady always welcome....! HOoooooo. Yaul....!
If we ever end up that way, we'll be sure to drop in and bug ya!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #46

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Don't argue, he knows everything, and he's right, you're wrong.
Yeah, people generally suck. We are animals. Just watch how quickly people are willing to push others out of the way in a fire drill when no-one knows it's one but the klaxon's sounding!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #47

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post
I'll shelter in place as long as I can. I have resources here that I won't if I head to the hills.

That said I'm diabetic, and my survivability will be pretty low, about three weeks max once my meds run out.
Jigs, what can and are you doing about that? Can you have surplus meds and if that's difficult, why? How are you going to get around that!? Are there halfway decent natural things that'd help, etc...
Old 04-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #48
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21265 Times on 12075 Posts
Likes Given: 53062

bugging out to any wilderness area is very bad idea for many reasons.

any of the people already living in the area will not want you there, and more than likely see you as a threat, and either kill you or let you die on your own and then they will take your stuff.

majority of people are ill-equipped to live in the wilderness for extended periods of time. they may think they are, but sadly they are not.

and many will try and get to the mountains or the woods, and will probably die before they ever get there in the first place.

myself, i'll just bug-in. much safer and better equipped.

People Like This 
Old 04-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 221 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis

Jigs, what can and are you doing about that? Can you have surplus meds and if that's difficult, why? How are you going to get around that!? Are there halfway decent natural things that'd help, etc...
The primary med is a new one still under patent. It will cost me around $390 for every months extra supply I stock up, and it must be refrigerated for storage, but can't freeze. Which will be difficult to accomplish in a shtf scenario. So, I don't plan to have more than a few months supply.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #50

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Already have my BO place. It's not in the mountains but is in the middle of twenty thousand acres with only one way in and one way out. It has springs and a creek with pure water . It has 1000s of deer, turkeys, quail,and ducks. I have put in a one acre spring-fed pond stocked with bream and bass. I have acres of hardwoods with plenty of available firewood. I also have about a dozen like-minded friends who are joining my family out there. We hope that we will never be in that situation but as my DI once said,"Those that fail to prepare,prepare to fail."