Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > bug out in the mountains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 AM   #31
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16875 Times on 9779 Posts
Likes Given: 43998

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
don't get me wrong, I love the mountains, and could probably survive there. But I would be out of my element in a big way. I would be way more comfortable in the swamps. Heck, a man could live off nutria around here.
i've heard they taste like chicken!
Old 04-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #32

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i've heard they taste like chicken!
More like rat, but hey, meat's meat!
Old 04-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #33
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
More like rat, but hey, meat's meat!
throw some BBQ sauce on it while it's cooking and you'll never know the difference!
People Like This 
Old 04-21-2013, 01:52 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

I spend a lot of time up in the high mountains. Several months per year. I have for most of my life. The mountains can sustain you and protect you if you know what you're doing, but the mountains are completely unforgiving. You only get one mistake.

No one in their right mind wants to winter in the high country. Those who know the mountains best, would never consider long term relocation to the high country.

Even the Indians came down to the deep valleys in the cold weather.

People Like This 
Old 04-21-2013, 01:56 AM   #35
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

a lot of people don't also consider that the higher in the mountains you get, even in summertime, it can get downright cold at night. there have been people who have died during the summer from hypothermia when they have gotten lost and without proper protection from the elements.

People Like This 
Old 04-21-2013, 02:50 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 145 Times on 99 Posts

I'll shelter in place as long as I can. I have resources here that I won't if I head to the hills.

That said I'm diabetic, and my survivability will be pretty low, about three weeks max once my meds run out.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #37
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2126 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 2145

Yeah that's a real problem, a lot of us older guys sort of rely on meds for different things. Blood pressure meds, diabetes and so on. It wouldn't be fun if they're suddenly cut off.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:48 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
Yeah that's a real problem, a lot of us older guys sort of rely on meds for different things. Blood pressure meds, diabetes and so on. It wouldn't be fun if they're suddenly cut off.
A group will always fare better than an individual. Right here in my neighborhood we have two LEOs, a surgeon, a civil engineer, a high school science teacher, and a retired infantry colonel. And other skills as well. working together, we can pretty well cover each other.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #39

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
A group will always fare better than an individual.
While this statement may be sometimes(or even often) true it obviously is not always the case. Many many times humans do not play well together. In the situation we are discussing, you have to have 100% total trust in those in your "group".

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #40

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

I will leave my home when they pry my cold dead fingers from the door knob. Ink runs, stockings run, fish row or prunes will give you the runs, but I love my home, and will stay, thank you very much. I made a decision 30 years ago to have a reasonably secure home, surrounded by land that I know every crook, cranny, defile, tree and gully.

On you way to "the mountains" will you stop at the convenience store for gas, beer and cigarettes?

If you are not living there now, you won't be in an emergency. National emergencies are not video games, you can't re-start the game at will. There would be no warning, no time to prepare and plenty of competition for the necessary resources for both travel and protection.

For everyone trying to get to "the mountains" there will be one who does not wish them to be there. The present inhabitants will not want a bunch of city slickers horning in on their game or their space. Present inhabitants will have the upper hand. If you are not my family, I will not tolerate you setting up a tent on my place or shooting my deer or squirrels. I will do everything in my power to make your S. Hit the Fan. There won't be a back road in the rural nation that is not covered by bushwhackers wanting your stuff. Myself included; you better bring a tank.

Some people just don't think these scenarios through. They will be among the first causalities. It reminds me of an old song, "Dream on, little broom-stick Cowboy"

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 04-21-2013 at 02:25 PM.
People Like This