bug out in the mountains - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > bug out in the mountains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Welcome PointBlank;
Here's the instructional video we like most...

Some adult language:

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-20-2013 at 11:47 PM.
People Like This 
Old 04-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Welcome PointBlank;
Here's the instructional video we like most...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6qWlSB6eOI
that's seriously getting old and kind of lame.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I can't find the link at the moment, but there was a great forum discussion with a guy that survived a year under siege in Bosnia with no plumbing, electricity, security, etc...

He said his most important survival advantage, was that he had a large number of relatives/partners, about 10 of them.

Bic lighters and liquor were like gold when it came to trading for needed items. Most people died from disease. Liquor could clean wounds and ease the mental pain. Lighters could start fires, cook food, etc. They had weapons and ammo, and they had numbers. Problem is... they had to venture out for necessities... one snipe, one shot, you're dead

Once you get to the mountains, you'll soon realize that you're screwed. Community and organization will trump location all day long. Make friends, not campsites

Old 04-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #24

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

"Run to the mountains" is a common theme among many survivalist conjectures. A valid thought too...

There are some issues though. I see one has been expounded on already, how familiar one is with the mountain terrain. Hunting? You're screwed unless you know how to hunt mountains. Finding water? If you don't know the terrain, you might get lucky. Shelter?

Where I am, if I have to "bug out" of my home, I'm sticking to the lowlands and swamps. I know them. I know that environment. And, anyone trying to find me would have to be abso****inglutely insane to attempt it if they don't know the environment.

I can slip into a swamp and thrive. People that don't know the conditions? If the gators don't get them (not really that big of a threat this far north), maybe snakes will. Mosquitos will make their lives a living miserable hell. Panthers (like gators, not a huge threat here). How about dysentery? That's always a favorite. Crapping your pants all over the place and dying from dehydration no matter how much water you drink (actually speeding up the process if you keep drinking it), is a real crowd pleaser. Foot rot? Reeeeaaallllly fun. Poisonous plants, stinging bugs, quick sand. It's not real hard to survive, but someone who doesn't know what they're up against simply can't do it. Not in the places I can. And I'm not trying to brag. There are others here on this forum who I suspect would be more at home in the bottoms than I would.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Man, you make Louisiana sound like a paradise. I gotta get down there and do me a little swamp time....

Old 04-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1309 Times on 851 Posts
Likes Given: 2747

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
that's seriously getting old and kind of lame.
I can't help it. I still love the first part.

I don't agree with the end of it, but the first 2/3's are still pretty funny. As for the end, none of us really know how to handle SHTF and this forum gives us a place to discuses ideas and try to figure out as much as we can. Some of us do have more experience than others with guns but it's still a guessing game.

I have no doubt that many are planning to "head for the hills" and aren't going to be prepared, but that still might be a better option than staying put depending on the situation? Personally, I plan on bugging in but my plans are always subject to change. "Heading for the hills" is currently plan E for me. I know the exact spot I would go to and what I would need to make it for an extended period. I have alternate routes including one route by water and another by rail. Both routes involve me being on foot. A boat or hoping train would be a bonus but I'm not counting on either. I'm very familiar with the area and have been camping there for over 20 years.

Odds of me actually surviving with that plan if SHTF are probably slim to none, but there could be a time where that would be better than not having that plan.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I can't help it. I still love the first part.

I don't agree with the end of it, but the first 2/3's are still pretty funny. As for the end, none of us really know how to handle SHTF and this forum gives us a place to discuses ideas and try to figure out as much as we can. Some of us do have more experience than others with guns but it's still a guessing game.

I have no doubt that many are planning to "head for the hills" and aren't going to be prepared, but that still might be a better option than staying put depending on the situation? Personally, I plan on bugging in but my plans are always subject to change. "Heading for the hills" is currently plan E for me. I know the exact spot I would go to and what I would need to make it for an extended period. I have alternate routes including one route by water and another by rail. Both routes involve me being on foot. A boat or hoping train would be a bonus but I'm not counting on either. I'm very familiar with the area and have been camping there for over 20 years.

Odds of me actually surviving with that plan if SHTF are probably slim to none, but there could be a time where that would be better than not having that plan.
problem is Hock uses that video everytime one of these threads comes up. for me, it's gotten old and lame. and almost to the point of being rather immature and childish.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Nobody is really gonna know what to do, or try, until the SHTF happens, it could be a million different scenarios. The best thing anyone can do is be prepared and be ready to move if NEED be. Have a plan to load all the weapons you need and the foodstuffs and bug out for where ever you think you might be safe. If it's really bad, the highways are going to be shutdown and travel extremely limited at best. Hopefully in a bug out situation, we're all going to see it coming down before it actually happens. It should be obvious and maybe we'll have time to get to where we need to be. I seriously feel sorry for people that live in cities and don't have relatives or friends somewhere out in the sticks. Cities will suck in a SHTF scenario and be the last place anyone would want to be, IMO.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1309 Times on 851 Posts
Likes Given: 2747

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
"Run to the mountains" is a common theme among many survivalist conjectures. A valid thought too...

There are some issues though. I see one has been expounded on already, how familiar one is with the mountain terrain. Hunting? You're screwed unless you know how to hunt mountains. Finding water? If you don't know the terrain, you might get lucky. Shelter?

Where I am, if I have to "bug out" of my home, I'm sticking to the lowlands and swamps. I know them. I know that environment. And, anyone trying to find me would have to be abso****inglutely insane to attempt it if they don't know the environment.

I can slip into a swamp and thrive. People that don't know the conditions? If the gators don't get them (not really that big of a threat this far north), maybe snakes will. Mosquitos will make their lives a living miserable hell. Panthers (like gators, not a huge threat here). How about dysentery? That's always a favorite. Crapping your pants all over the place and dying from dehydration no matter how much water you drink (actually speeding up the process if you keep drinking it), is a real crowd pleaser. Foot rot? Reeeeaaallllly fun. Poisonous plants, stinging bugs, quick sand. It's not real hard to survive, but someone who doesn't know what they're up against simply can't do it. Not in the places I can. And I'm not trying to brag. There are others here on this forum who I suspect would be more at home in the bottoms than I would.
The swamp is plan B for me.

I'll take a swamp over mountains any day.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:21 AM   #30

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
The swamp is plan B for me.

I'll take a swamp over mountains any day.
don't get me wrong, I love the mountains, and could probably survive there. But I would be out of my element in a big way. I would be way more comfortable in the swamps. Heck, a man could live off nutria around here.