Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bug Out Bags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 72 Times on 42 Posts

I have a large alice pack, looks don't bother me, because, if im bugging out I will be trying to avoid others seeing me, if not, then hopefully I have more firepower than they do.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 909 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 1501

I figure it's going to be impossible to not run into other people if it actually came to bugging out. Some of those people will not know you're even there, and there will be people that see you and you won't know they are there. I also wonder how others, and even myself, will react to running across other people while bugging out. I would probably invite a Mormon, Mennonite, Amish, priest, or orthodox Jew to dinner because it would be the right thing to do, and I would easily be able to tell they weren't a threat. I'm not sure how I would react to seeing someone armed to the teeth but I almost certainly wouldn't invite them to dinner simply because they could be a threat. I'm also not sure how I would react to someone that appeared to be an obvious threat such as someone wearing a Hell's Angels jacket or someone flashing gang signs. I'm assuming that others would react similarly to myself, and based on how I might react, I wouldn't want to appear to be an obvious threat to anyone. At the same time I wouldn't want to appear to be an easy target either or supply depot either.

There's also no telling how any of us would react after meeting a few punks. It could easily get to the point that you would just drop anyone with a gun in their tracks rather than risk putting up with any more BS, and others might do the same? All of this hypothetical but I think appearance could be really important.

Last edited by TLuker; 03-20-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #23

Liked 292 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker
I figure it's going to be impossible to not run into other people if it actually came to bugging out. Some of those people will not know you're even there, and there will be people that see you and you won't know they are there. I also wonder how others, and even myself, will react to running across other people while bugging out. I would probably invite a Mormon, Mennonite, Amish, priest, or orthodox Jew to dinner because it would be the right thing to do, and I would easily be able to tell they weren't a threat. I'm not sure how I would react to seeing someone armed to the teeth but I almost certainly wouldn't invite them to dinner simply because they could be a threat. I'm also not sure how I would react to someone that appeared to be an obvious threat such as someone wearing a Hell's Angels jacket or someone flashing gang signs. I'm assuming that others would react similarly to myself, and based on how I might react, I wouldn't want to appear to be an obvious threat to anyone. At the same time I wouldn't want to appear to be an easy target either or supply depot either.

There's also no telling how any of us would react after meeting a few punks. It could easily get to the point that you would just drop anyone with a gun in their tracks rather than risk putting up with any more BS, and others might do the same? All of this hypothetical but I think appearance could be really important.
It would be a difficult situation for sure. But in some cases it might be a good idea to travel with a partner armed as well as you. But trust would be an issue. Maybe we should start some sort of group and git some sort of visible mark so you know they are in the group. You got swat cia FDA .... The list goes on and on why not a doomsday task force or something lol

Old 03-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #24

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Mutual aid group is a nice, non threatening name for what you are describing. No?

NEVER FORGET

Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #25

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth
Mutual aid group is a nice, non threatening name for what you are describing. No?
Sign me up. I can get a few others around me in it i do believe.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 03-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

is this what you're thinking of?

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 03-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #27

Liked 292 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr
is this what you're thinking of?
Yea that's it lol we could build a moat. Jk

Old 03-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #28

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

What about a light day packer bag? On the cheap.

Something like this: http://airsoft-club.com/shop/tactical-gear/bag-case/gun-bag-case/tactical-molle-patrol-rifle-gear-backpack-black
Or this: http://airsoft-club.com/shop/tactical-gear/bag-case/backpack/molle-patrol-series-rifle-gear-backpack-coyote-brown

They are airsoft products but but look decent for the price. Apparently it they will even take a camelback. Comes in black, coyote brown, od green, and multi camo.

Finding bags that will hold rifles is harder than I thought.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 03-23-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #29

Liked 3678 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

So I ended up getting a large ALICE pack at the surplus store. It isn't ideal IMHO, but the price, at $12.00 was right. There were some very nice bags by Condor, but they were in the $120 price range.
Review:
It doesn't have separate compartments, for gear storage, but by putting items in zip lock bags, I managed to keep it very organized.
It also doesn't have a waist strap, but neither did the 2 backpacks I was carrying before.
There are 3 large external pockets, which I like. One pocket is large enough to carry 100 rounds of .45 ammo, and 4 magazines with magazine holders.
The shoulder straps don't have webbing to clip stuff onto, which I liked. I will figure a way around this.
There is webbing on the sides of the bag, and it fits my folding shovel perfectly, as if were designed to carry a shovel.

Overall:
The price was right, and the side webbing for the shovel was the deal maker for me. It is camouflaged, which is a plus, and it is rather comfortable to wear. I have to say it is a good bag so far, and genuine surplus, so it seems much more durable than the cheap India/Chinese crap. For example, the shoulder straps are sewn into the bag at another webbing, not just some single stitch directly onto the nylon, which never lasts.
While not ideal, and required re-designing the way I packed my gear, for $12.00 I am happy thus far, and would recommend to others.

FYI, my gear weighs in at a little over 50 lbs, minus the rifle, but including ammo.
My bug out situation would be different than others here, so a good deal of gear is needed, and can increase depending on the seasons.
Hope the mini-review helped.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #30

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Can you put a rifle easily on the side of that pack?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary