Bug Out Bags - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bug Out Bags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman
I have an old USMC combat pack from the mid 90's. I like it bc its big enough i can get the essentials in it and yet i can still detach the the frame from it and use the frame. I have added some stuff like little pockets and nylon elastic bands for say a rifle. It also has a place where i can hook my quiver on it and hang my bow on the ther side from the quiver. All total wo a gun/bow on it it weighs bout 45 pounds. Its the one i usually use when hunting out west. I paid i think $30 for it at surplus city.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
I definitely won't something I can put my bow or another gun on I'll look around and see if I can find one

Old 03-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman
I have an old USMC combat pack from the mid 90's. I like it bc its big enough i can get the essentials in it and yet i can still detach the the frame from it and use the frame. I have added some stuff like little pockets and nylon elastic bands for say a rifle. It also has a place where i can hook my quiver on it and hang my bow on the ther side from the quiver. All total wo a gun/bow on it it weighs bout 45 pounds. Its the one i usually use when hunting out west. I paid i think $30 for it at surplus city.

And if your hunting with it I take it its camo or od green something like that

Old 03-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #13

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15

And if your hunting with it I take it its camo or od green something like that
OD green w strips of camo burlap sewed onto it. I made my bow hooks and my rifle loops. My quiver i used leather sewn onto the side of the pack w heavy grade industrial magnets inside the leather strips. Then i have two sets of rawhide tether to tie around the quiver shaft

Old 03-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #14

See if the Army surplus has any old Vietnam Alicepacks.

Gone to Nepal for the summer, be back in Sept. No computer service there. Be good

Old 03-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #15

My bag I use it for camping hicking and its my BOB always loaded and in the truck

forumrunner_20120319_142107.jpg

Old 03-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #16

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Do you know what it's called
There called US Army Mountain Packs... They were used during WWII through Vietnam, when they were replaced by the ALICE packs..

Old 03-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #17

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have a Red Rock pack. Very well made and not much money. They make several different sizes.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 03-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1242 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 2513

Two things I've been thinking about regarding the pack itself is what it look likes and what I need to limit the weight to (which determines the size).

1. I think looks are important because we make judgments about others based on looks, but I'm not really sure what look a BOB should have? I don't want a tactical bag because it says militant to nice people and supplies to bad ones. I'm starting to think the shopping cart and homeless look is the way to go? I might be making too much out of this but I really do think the look of the pack is important (first impressions and all that). What type of person would you want to come across while bugging out?

2. Size really does matter. Too big and I'm going to try and carry too much stuff. I know with a large load I'm going to travel slow (with a lot of breaks) and burn way too many calories. I want a smaller pack just so I have to limit my load.

Right now I've got a patrol pack and fanny pack. It works well for lighter loads which I like but I'm rethinking it.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:41 AM   #19

This is an awesome topic, I have been doing some research on it, came across a few good articles on where to start with what you should have in it at a minimum, there were a few things i didn't think about that really make sense...
Here is the link: http://twenty2tactical.com/2012/03/doomsday-preparedness-keeping-your-family-safe/
Hope it helps someone...

you can have my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers

Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker
Two things I've been thinking about regarding the pack itself is what it look likes and what I need to limit the weight to (which determines the size).

1. I think looks are important because we make judgments about others based on looks, but I'm not really sure what look a BOB should have? I don't want a tactical bag because it says militant to nice people and supplies to bad ones. I'm starting to think the shopping cart and homeless look is the way to go? I might be making too much out of this but I really do think the look of the pack is important (first impressions and all that). What type of person would you want to come across while bugging out?

2. Size really does matter. Too big and I'm going to try and carry too much stuff. I know with a large load I'm going to travel slow (with a lot of breaks) and burn way too many calories. I want a smaller pack just so I have to limit my load.

Right now I've got a patrol pack and fanny pack. It works well for lighter loads which I like but I'm rethinking it.
Get one that looks buggy or baggy lol jk. But I do se your point. A shopping cart might be to hard to get some places tho. And in my case it would look kind of strange. (Hey Tom is that a hoe bow with an tactical ar15? Take a pick you don't see that everyday.) I guess I could throw something over my guns. And it would help with the wait problem. D*** now you got me thanking.