Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bug out bag help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 376 Times on 213 Posts

Good to know. Any tips on preseving large amount of water in 55 gal drums? Of course you could use bleach, but I know there are other methods like liquid oxygen drops. Haven't been able to reliably find "liquid oxygen" drops though. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:47 AM   #72

Liked 153 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Basically you would want to bring everything you bring on a backpacking hunting trip.

I don't see any good uses for gun cable locks though. I always just throw those away. Not durable enough for any practical purpose.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:58 AM   #73
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20920 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

i always keep a semi-BOB in my truck. has some cold weather clothing and some warm weather clothing as well. i keep a first aid kit in my truck at all times. my BOB contains extra batter sticks for my rechargeable LED flashlight, multi-tool and decent sized folder, gloves of several types, small container of my needed meds, extra ammo for my pistol, plus some other misc. things that might be needed.

first of all, i have no plans to bug out from our location. i live in a rural are where my closest neighbor is my father, and my brother owns land right across the road from our house. we have plenty of wild game of all types, and a source of constant water supply if needed less than half a mile away. even within a three mile radius, there are maybe five, or six families around us. we are much better suited to staying put and holding our own if things go south.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:04 AM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Wow, really?!? I've never heard of a filter capable of this! Is it a ceramic filter? A link would be appreciated, if you have it.

I have found them on Amazon, bought one and then while browsing through the bargain cave at Cabela's I found one in there for $30 bucks.

I quickly glanced at the web site but didn't read more into it. The bags seem to be Mylar. Do you only get a few uses out of the bags so you have to buy a bunch? What if the bag had a hole punched in it while hiking? How is their durability? Asking because I'm interested and you seem to have a good amount of experience with them. Thanks!

There are several ways to use these.

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Complete-2-Liter-Treatment-System/dp/B005SO94A0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1398304719&sr=8-8&keywords=sawyer+water+filter

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-PointTwo-Purifier-Bucket-Adapter/dp/B0051HHNJ8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1398304719&sr=8-7&keywords=sawyer+water+filter

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-3-Way-Inline-Water-Filter/dp/B0034VR8ES/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1398304719&sr=8-11&keywords=sawyer+water+filter

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Filtration-System-32-Ounce-Durable/dp/B0034VP4UI/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1398304719&sr=8-12&keywords=sawyer+water+filter

Hope this helps

Old 04-24-2014, 02:12 AM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i always keep a semi-BOB in my truck. has some cold weather clothing and some warm weather clothing as well. i keep a first aid kit in my truck at all times. my BOB contains extra batter sticks for my rechargeable LED flashlight, multi-tool and decent sized folder, gloves of several types, small container of my needed meds, extra ammo for my pistol, plus some other misc. things that might be needed.

first of all, i have no plans to bug out from our location. i live in a rural are where my closest neighbor is my father, and my brother owns land right across the road from our house. we have plenty of wild game of all types, and a source of constant water supply if needed less than half a mile away. even within a three mile radius, there are maybe five, or six families around us. we are much better suited to staying put and holding our own if things go south.
You bring up a great point about having a small container of needed meds, I bought those little hopefully water proof pill containers a year ago for my meds and never even put that together in my bag. Thanks for the reminder!! Now if I can only remember where I put those. Also one thing I might add is if you have glasses or contacts, you might want to throw a old pair in your bag.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:27 AM   #76
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20920 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag556 View Post
You bring up a great point about having a small container of needed meds, I bought those little hopefully water proof pill containers a year ago for my meds and never even put that together in my bag. Thanks for the reminder!! Now if I can only remember where I put those. Also one thing I might add is if you have glasses or contacts, you might want to throw a old pair in your bag.
i also keep a small supply of various OTC meds in case i need them.

good call on the glasses or contacts. plus if needed, the lenses of some eyewear could be used for a firestarter.
stag556 Likes This 
Old 04-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #77

Liked 171 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 144

On my Jeep bag , as I call it , I have what I call the pull before flight tag. Its just a tag with metal tie , like you see at small engine repair shops, but I write all the stuff I keep up in the front console or door pockets of the Jeep . In a real SHTF situation I may forget about these items in a rush to get going or away IE: my spare glasses , med fob, another spare light & batteries, more gloves, more knives & ammo , extra bottled water ( in the back )........ etc . You get the idea, just one more step today so I don't forget tomorrow in a rush Mickey

Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #78
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3002 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Default Bug out bag help

That's so funny you mentioned Sawyer. Until 6 months ago I thought they only made insect Repellant!
A few weeks back I bought the Mini, and went back for the STD. About 10 days ago.

I have Several different bags to load and go, plus one always filled. We are a Bugging "in" though, unless the area gets overrun or un-Inhabitable. Then our MAG bugs out as a group( 8 AWD or RV's) to a location " Above the Grand Canyon" on the Az./Ut. Border..
It's very imp. To map out a main, and a secondary location, and if those two are not attainable, a Third. All must be "Defensible locations." Reading this thread, not one person has mentioned personal communications and means to re-Charge, and in fact, any kind of usable portable power!! We have a hand crank/battery operated radio, with it's own solar panel, and two larger Panels with collector Batteries. We also have two portable power stations, And a small dual fuel Generator...we will get a larger one when we buy an RV.

All that being said. I think my MAG is going to get bigger in the next few weeks. We're doing a little recruiting...

Everyone has a skill! Put everyone's skills to good use! Don't exclude someone because you perceive them to be un-able to Shoot/Hunt or Fish...

Edit: if it's a "Flash" incident and we have to leave quickly, I'm reducing the Amt. Of weapons and Ammo I'm taking. I'd be more inclined to leave most of the Safe where it is, and take more Ammo and Less Guns. Take at least 3 knifes, 1multi-tool, and a small screwdriver set. Besides my Coleman Camp Axe( which this week took down two large Branches on a desert willow tree in my back yard, in 15 & 20 mins. Respectively( and I'm disabled with a host of issues), along with a Coleman Camp saw, are very imp.

I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks of 22LR as a survival round. One guy with a blog says 2 of his 5 Bug out Guns are a Mossberg AR in 22LR, and a 22LR handgun with an optic.( the others being Two 9MM's(one semi-auto and one Carbine-and a heavy Revolver for "Big hunting targets"). He feels a Bolt action big game Rifle isn't worth it's weight in an extended survival situation.
I also have, in a certain situation, access to a light Aircraft( Beechcraft 1900) to get me and the wife and some others, deeper into the boonies. The second available plane is an old WWII C-47(DC-3) which could take the rest of our group, and a whole load of stuff.
Also. Not long ago I saw a show( I think on Discovery CH.) on "Bunkers".

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 04-24-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #79

Liked 171 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Doc--Comm is like #10 on my list of things to get but right now working on the 3 B's & getting the wifey train with the weapons, her shotgun/ the AR's. As far as a 22lr, my 10/22 TD is my Jeep gun, at the on set of SHTF it should get me back home, any lead down range is still lead down range. The Call of Duty commandos are in for a rude awakening........... LOL

Old 04-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #80

Liked 376 Times on 213 Posts

In regards to the .22 question by Doc, I'd say one .22 is enough. I'd rather have a semi or bolt in .223. Technically, it's still a .22 round (sort of) and the ammo is light enough to transport a good amount. I think I'm going to more or less agree that a big game rifle and ammo might be too heavy. Although, a smaller lever action 30-30 or even a 45-70 would be ok if you were in big game country. The largest animals I'd be hunting in my area would be smaller white tail dear, so I wouldnt need a big bore rifle. I do have a gp100 in .357 but Is still use the mini 14 to take a deer if it was an issue of which rifle to bring for weight savings vs a large caliber bolt action. Thankfully my wife and I are young and in good health, so we could potentially carry quite a bit of gear. Although I, like many others, would be bugging in. I don't see a need to leave unless forced to. If I had to choose two guns to take when i did leave (make note I said if I HAD to take ONLY TWO) I would take my mini 14 and my 12 gauge. Reliability would be key, so thats why I would choose those. The 12 gauge is so damn versatile, I think I'd leave a hand gun behind in favor of that. Like I said that's only if I was forced to carry only two. If give my wife the AR and my walther ppq in 9mm. The heavy bolt actions can stay home haha. Or maybe I'd take the shotgun and the 9mm.....I just dont know lol. What I do know is I'd want something light, reliable, but semi hard hitting. I sold my .22 rifle (like an idiot) or else that would be coming too.

Last edited by FernandoTheCommando; 04-24-2014 at 02:22 PM.