Bug out bag help - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bug out bag help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1866 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 690

I really don't see the need for a bug out bag. In less than 30 minutes I can go through the pantry for food and the barn for first aid supplies (Zee fills my first aid kit every month) to get enough stuff for 3 days.

I just need enough food to keep my blood sugar normal (1 meal per day).

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 04-17-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #42

Liked 405 Times on 230 Posts

In less than 30 minutes you can grab 3 days worth of food, medical supplies, emergency shelter, sleeping bags, weapon and ammo, survival tools, water filtration, emergency signaling, and a way to carry all that gear? All of us currently posting already have all of that ready to go within ...60 seconds. If someone in your family is injured or you only have 5 minutes to get out of dodge, that thirty minute window isnt going to help much. I feel like you're fishing for an argument like I see you doing in all the other forum posts about guns. If you don't see a need for a bug out bag, then why are you posting with a dozen guys who do see a need and are sharing gear suggestions? Your point is taken.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #43

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I really don't see the need for a bug out bag. In less than 30 minutes I can go through the pantry for food and the barn for first aid supplies (Zee fills my first aid kit every month) to get enough stuff for 3 days.

I just need enough food to keep my blood sugar normal (1 meal per day).
1 meal a day might keep your blood sugar normal but its not going to keep you healthy for long. Sure I could empty my cabinets in totes and all the other things I think I would need . Anyone can do this but what your forgetting most is what you actually need to make it out in the sticks . 30 minutes is a rushed time for anyone . For those that have actually packed up and lived out of one of these for a few days know what it takes to make it work or be a total failure for your stay .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
TLuker Likes This 
Old 04-18-2014, 02:34 AM   #44
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
Good read guys. I have recently started to think about building some serious BOB bags. I have some half ass supplies at home such as plenty of ammo, extra charcoal, water and some canned goods. I am good at home for at least a week or two before life gets tense. Good short term emergency preparation. But I travel a lot for work and have been in every crappy storm in the East this year. After my 2 days in the Atlanta ice storm I think I should have a basic kit in my car. So last night my hotel lost power for a few hours. No big deal, but I could hear other people out in the hall starting to get panicky. I read my iPad copy of the SAS survival guide, and decided I should carry a good, basic pack with me that is good for about 3 days, and/or a trip back to home base if necessary. It could be just weather, civil unrest, or slimy terrorists, but I should be more prepared. Funny thing was last night a simple flashlight would have been handy. Funny how the simple things are huge when you don't have them.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
CC, that's exactly what the BOB is for! A top quality bag, food, bottled water and enough survival gear to keep you going for three days. This would also be the ideal setup for someone travelling for work. You may also work in a mechanical door lock to secure your hotel room door from forced entry. Just a few additions and it'll be perfect for your needs.

C3Shooter put together a travelling survival kit, I believe. I'll see if he'll share some tips here.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-18-2014, 03:18 AM   #45
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9166 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Depends on mode of travel- a lot I cannot take by air.

Traveling by car- A good backpack for the carrier- Add water, calories, warmth and shelter.

Water is HEAVY. I will take some, but rely on iodine tabs and or filter.

Calories- mainly carbs, Canned food is again, heavy. Freeze dried- you need water. take yer pick. A few rolls of lifesavers need neither.

Shelter- disposable space blanket, plastic tube tent, poncho.

Warmth- couple of disposable lighters, waterproof matches, magnesium fire starter.

tools- small knife, Leatherman or Swiss Army knife, couple of hacksaw blades, duct tape.

First aid- aspirin, immodium, wound dressings, antibiotic ointment. Alcohol hand sanitizer (doubles as fire starter)

Clothing- good sox, knit gloves, knit watch cap, windreaker w/ hood (waterproof) bandana.

Accessories- LED light and mini LED light. Rubber door stop (hotel room) OC pepper spray (try getting into some places with a gun) 72 inch bootlaces (multiple uses) Disposable N95 respirator.

Depending on food/ water choices, weighs around 15 lbs,

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:23 AM   #46
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9166 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

my filter- and yes, coffee filters wrap over the pre-filter.

water-filter.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 04-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #47

How does the katadyn compare to the msr filter? Both ceramic elements?

Old 04-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #48

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
How does the katadyn compare to the msr filter? Both ceramic elements?
The kayadyn is a pleated fiberglass filter , Its a good filter but the filter its self isnt scrubable if you get into really really bad , or dirty / muddy water . Both are equivalent in filtration but we dont have alot of clean streams here where I live so I went ceramic scrubable . Both produce roughly 1 liter per minute and both get all the basic stuff , neither will kill viruses, pore size is .20 microns on the MSR , .30 on the Katadyn Im not sure the on the katadyn will filter out chemicals / toxins but the MSR does . I could not find that info any where on the Katadyn . Honestly a flip of the coin for either of these filters as they both do a great job . I just chose the scrubable filter for my needs and I like the fact that it will screw onto my wide mouth bottle and hydration bag for easy filling

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 04-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 419 Times on 278 Posts

Good thoughts. Is it worth adjusting the bag for time of year and climate?Being in the south it seems I might be better off trading off extra clothes, hats and gloves for other things. Ammo, tools, water and food maybe. I've got a nice little Boyt backpack I bought from Midway. I'm going to put a nice knife and flashlight in there this weekend. It has room for a handgun or two and some ammo. I'll stop on this week's trip at Bass Pro or Gander Mtn, and pick up a blanket, some basic food, water filter/life straw, and some first aid supplies. I like the idea of some sort of lock for the hotel door. If I had to hunker down somewhere that might help. Matches and fire starters are a must also.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
Good thoughts. Is it worth adjusting the bag for time of year and climate?Being in the south it seems I might be better off trading off extra clothes, hats and gloves for other things. Ammo, tools, water and food maybe. I've got a nice little Boyt backpack I bought from Midway. I'm going to put a nice knife and flashlight in there this weekend. It has room for a handgun or two and some ammo. I'll stop on this week's trip at Bass Pro or Gander Mtn, and pick up a blanket, some basic food, water filter/life straw, and some first aid supplies. I like the idea of some sort of lock for the hotel door. If I had to hunker down somewhere that might help. Matches and fire starters are a must also.

Yeah definetly don't skimp on fire making tools. I live up north and the only thing I take out of my bag for summer is extra clothes and a winter hat. I keep the hand warmers in the bag. Hand warmers are good even in summer because you can use them as an instant "hot compress" to draw out an infection or sooth a headache.