Bug out bag help - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bug out bag help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2514 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post

One thing I found interesting was the difference between a survival kit and a bug out bag. The bug out bag is ONLY to go from point A (place of disaster) to point B (safe haven) in 72 hours.
GREAT POINT! Sooo, all you guys with the BOBs already have a

solid "point B" hooked up, RI-I-IGHT ?? Because, (and not to piss

on anybody's parade here) without a serious, dedicated destination,

the BOB is pretty much useless. If you are taking off, refugee style,

without a set, dedicated destination, you need to re-factor in water

filters and other survival kit-style gear.

Last edited by therewolf; 04-16-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Mason609 Likes This 
Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #32

Liked 389 Times on 225 Posts

I hear you on the trioxane, but I actually keep it as a fire starter, not a camp stove fuel. I'm ordering one of the emberlit flat folding "any fuel" stoves. Very light and it can burn wood and other combustables besides "wet fire" or "trioxane". I like the trioxane tabs because they are lighter than liquid fuel and they burn long enough to ignite wet tinder.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #33

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
I love the idea of coffee filters and am thinking I should add that to my own kit. They could also serve as bandages and fire starter material. Filtering water for murkiness isn't always necessary to be drinkable, but anything that makes it more clear and can make your water purifier last longer is a good thing.
These would work as great prefilters on my MSR , it has a prefilter but not that fine . If were using it in creek water which looks fairly clear , my filter is a train wreck after a couple gallons , the ceramic filter is gooped up with mud , yes it washes / scrubs off but what a PITA . Crystal clear streams provide better water than I get from the tap at home

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 04-17-2014, 12:47 AM   #34
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post

Yes sir, got two main destinations and a backup. Also, if your decision is to bunker in when SHTF, the BOB can be used as a Get Home Bag and should be carried whenever away from home. This should be separate of Auto Survival Kit which is for automotive emergencies like ice, snow, breakdown, and may share some similarities but have two different primary purposes.

By the way, does anyone have Detroit as a bug out location? I imagine it's current problems will so resemble an SHTF situation that the event won't even be noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
I hear you on the trioxane, but I actually keep it as a fire starter, not a camp stove fuel. I'm ordering one of the emberlit flat folding "any fuel" stoves. Very light and it can burn wood and other combustables besides "wet fire" or "trioxane". I like the trioxane tabs because they are lighter than liquid fuel and they burn long enough to ignite wet tinder.
I will admit that I have a card of six trioxane tabs for wet fire or emergency fire starting. Cooking is leaves and twigs and taking some time. If injured or needing to stave off hypothermia quickly, I don't want to be fighting to get a fire going! Nothing helps start a fire more than a fuel source. In desperate times, I have opened a few centerfire rifle rounds and mixed the gunpowder with leaves to get it going fast. It's better to be prepared than have to cobble something together at the last minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
These would work as great prefilters on my MSR , it has a prefilter but not that fine . If were using it in creek water which looks fairly clear , my filter is a train wreck after a couple gallons , the ceramic filter is gooped up with mud , yes it washes / scrubs off but what a PITA . Crystal clear streams provide better water than I get from the tap at home
Anything that puts off cleaning the water filter is a good thing in my book! Always best to look for the cleanest possible source to start with, but there are so many microscopic elements to plug the filter that it's impossible to find it completely clean.

Have you tried other models than the MSR? If so, why did you settle on MSR? I have a portable Berkey for my auto kit, but I need something smaller for a BOB. Also, something of which to be wary: most filters that use screens or carbon allow contaminated water to pass through when they get blocked up and fail. This allows human consumption of the very bacteria you were trying to filter out. A safer filter plugs up completely and does not allow water through the filter to be consumed, keeping the user safe. It's an important distinction when buying a filter system to know if it can possibly wind up poisoning you when the filter is worn out.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-17-2014, 02:04 AM   #35

Liked 467 Times on 259 Posts

My 2 cents on what to add. A knife sharpener!

Old 04-17-2014, 02:48 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 345 Times on 237 Posts

Good read guys. I have recently started to think about building some serious BOB bags. I have some half ass supplies at home such as plenty of ammo, extra charcoal, water and some canned goods. I am good at home for at least a week or two before life gets tense. Good short term emergency preparation. But I travel a lot for work and have been in every crappy storm in the East this year. After my 2 days in the Atlanta ice storm I think I should have a basic kit in my car. So last night my hotel lost power for a few hours. No big deal, but I could hear other people out in the hall starting to get panicky. I read my iPad copy of the SAS survival guide, and decided I should carry a good, basic pack with me that is good for about 3 days, and/or a trip back to home base if necessary. It could be just weather, civil unrest, or slimy terrorists, but I should be more prepared. Funny thing was last night a simple flashlight would have been handy. Funny how the simple things are huge when you don't have them.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 04-17-2014, 03:14 AM   #37

Liked 186 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARlover View Post
I got $300 to spend should I buy 1 or make 1 looking at a 72ish hr bag pleas help new to prepping I got guns but no gear

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Guns but no gear ... you'd be surprised how many, many others are in the same boat. Not only that, but many, many guns, and still no gear.

At most, in most cases, people only *need* two firearms -- a good pistol and a good carbine -- with a load of ammo to boot (whatever can be carried at one time -- say 100 rounds of carbine and 3 rounds of pistol).

As for other gear, imagine a backpack that contains everything else you would need in a backpack camp -- including sufficient water.

I suppose that if someone had never gone backpacking, then they might be bewildered.

But for backpackers and campers, the solution is simple -- backpacking gear and camping gear -- with some kind of light weight food in addition.

You may not be able to live off the land, if the land is picked clean.

But ultimately you will need to kill and eat something eventually.

You will also need to defend yourself against others trying to kill you.

That's where the carbine, pistol, and ammo come into play.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:20 AM   #38

Liked 186 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post

Unless it amounts to a coming hurricane, flood, chem spill, or nuclear plant radiation release, I would not be taking off immediately. I would first sit tight for awhile -- actually for as long as I could.

I have food and water for several months.

I also have stored gasoline (which I rotate through use, since gasoline does not keep for very long). So when the time finally comes to bug out, I can gas up and pack my gas and other gear and go.

So defending the castle is priority #1.

My alternate location is a town in the mountains that I regularly visit and where I know a lot of people there. I can claim to be one of their cousins, to get in, with my supplies and gear.

Just like in "One Second After," towns won't let you in unless they know you and you are useful to them.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
My 2 cents on what to add. A knife sharpener!
I keep a smiths diamond field sharpener in my edc bag and a smiths sharpening kit in my bob bag. The Smith's field sharpener is awesome. The two sided stone (coarse and fine) stores in the handle. Its small, lights, and works great for under $20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
Good read guys. I have recently started to think about building some serious BOB bags. I have some half ass supplies at home such as plenty of ammo, extra charcoal, water and some canned goods. I am good at home for at least a week or two before life gets tense. Good short term emergency preparation. But I travel a lot for work and have been in every crappy storm in the East this year. After my 2 days in the Atlanta ice storm I think I should have a basic kit in my car. So last night my hotel lost power for a few hours. No big deal, but I could hear other people out in the hall starting to get panicky. I read my iPad copy of the SAS survival guide, and decided I should carry a good, basic pack with me that is good for about 3 days, and/or a trip back to home base if necessary. It could be just weather, civil unrest, or slimy terrorists, but I should be more prepared. Funny thing was last night a simple flashlight would have been handy. Funny how the simple things are huge when you don't have them.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
The SAS survival guide is a great read! I have the hard copy so I can take it with me if there's no power to charge the tablet. If you want another good book that is geared towards disaster first aid, you should check out "Ditch Medicine" or "Where there are no doctors". Ditch medicine has some seriously good stuff on how to treat everything from the flu, to horrible wounds right in the field with basic supplies and natural remedies. It's got what the SAS guide was lacking in first aid. But, the SAS guide did have a pretty good first aid section. My wife is in nursing school and she was impressed with the book as a whole.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Unless it amounts to a coming hurricane, flood, chem spill, or nuclear plant radiation release, I would not be taking off immediately. I would first sit tight for awhile -- actually for as long as I could.

I have food and water for several months.

I also have stored gasoline (which I rotate through use, since gasoline does not keep for very long). So when the time finally comes to bug out, I can gas up and pack my gas and other gear and go.

So defending the castle is priority #1.

My alternate location is a town in the mountains that I regularly visit and where I know a lot of people there. I can claim to be one of their cousins, to get in, with my supplies and gear.
I agree. My bob bag is more of a place to store survival gear that's all in one place until I needed to leave if forced to evacuate. First priority is to defend the home. Unless my home burns down or is in immediate danger from weather, I'd stay here for as long as I could. I guess I'm more prepared for a "without rule of law" scenario rather than a natural disaster. But then again, prepping for both is very similar. Without rule of law and facilities, you lose clean water AND the stores would be robbed of food and supplies.