Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bug out bag help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 05:11 AM   #111
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2754 Times on 1896 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
The salient point being, that if it IS a dire emergency, you are going to need to do it -- no choice.

So you need to have the gear to do it ...

-- dental floss

-- needle

-- file to sharpen the needle.

I have Dental Floss. I also have 2.0 and 3.0 Silk( surgical thread). I have 2 full sets of instruments. I have 10 different type of bandages. I Still would not attempt anything unless it was a dire emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-26-2014, 05:29 AM   #112

Liked 127 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I have Dental Floss. I also have 2.0 and 3.0 Silk( surgical thread). I have 2 full sets of instruments. I have 10 different type of bandages. I Still would not attempt anything unless it was a dire emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Nor would I. It all depends on the situation.

If you are on a yacht out to sea, or on a backpack trip without a satellite phone, marooned on a deserted island, or stranded on a road trip in the wilderness of Canada or Alaska, in those cases you may need to do everything possible, including stitching an artery or major vein, to keep the other person alive and help them to get well ... as I am sure you know.

Whenever I encounter an emergency medical situation, I have been trained to follow the acronym --

- stop the bleeding (since someone profusely bleeding can bleed-out in a few minutes

- check the heartbeat (since someone with no pulse requires immediate CPR within 5 minutes)

- check the breathing (since someone not breathing can suffocate to death within 15 minutes or less)

- treat for shock (since loss of blood or any near death experience will likely result in a numbing shock induced self-preparation for death).

Naturally after having performed all the above, it is time to summon the professionals. But if there are no professionals to summon, then you are on your own. That's when --

- you stitch the arteries and major veins

- set the broken bone(s)

- flush out the wound(s) with clean water

- cover the wound with clean bandages or immobilize the limb for the healing process to begin (which normally takes 2 weeks to several months)

- feed the person and make them comfortable and warm

- clean up after them

- give them fluids to drink

- set up an I/V drip if you have the sterile bags to do so

- nurse the person back to health.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #113
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19821 Times on 11254 Posts
Likes Given: 49957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Nor would I. It all depends on the situation.

If you are on a yacht out to sea, or on a backpack trip without a satellite phone, marooned on a deserted island, or stranded on a road trip in the wilderness of Canada or Alaska, in those cases you may need to do everything possible, including stitching an artery or major vein, to keep the other person alive and help them to get well ... as I am sure you know.

Whenever I encounter an emergency medical situation, I have been trained to follow the acronym --

- stop the bleeding (since someone profusely bleeding can bleed-out in a few minutes

- check the heartbeat (since someone with no pulse requires immediate CPR within 5 minutes)

- check the breathing (since someone not breathing can suffocate to death within 15 minutes or less)

- treat for shock (since loss of blood or any near death experience will likely result in a numbing shock induced self-preparation for death).

Naturally after having performed all the above, it is time to summon the professionals. But if there are no professionals to summon, then you are on your own. That's when --

- you stitch the arteries and major veins

- set the broken bone(s)

- flush out the wound(s) with clean water

- cover the wound with clean bandages or immobilize the limb for the healing process to begin (which normally takes 2 weeks to several months)

- feed the person and make them comfortable and warm

- clean up after them

- give them fluids to drink

- set up an I/V drip if you have the sterile bags to do so

- nurse the person back to health.
and you have learned how to do all of this?

how to set bones?

how to suture veins and arteries>

how to do an IV properly?

if so please tell us how it's done so we can learn as well.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #114
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
exactly! unless someone has extensive medical training, they ain't stitching on me, no matter how much medical gear they have they bought off Ebay!

i'll take my chances without their help.
What if you tube was also available?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #115

Liked 349 Times on 200 Posts

Quote:
and you have learned how to do all of this?

how to set bones?

how to suture veins and arteries>

how to do an IV properly?

if so please tell us how it's done so we can learn as well.
I don't understand why you seem to need validation by one of us admitting we can't do simple surgery?! Well, here I go then. I'll have my piece of humble pie so we can rest this argument. I can't suture a vein. I probably would botch it up if I tried to suture a wound. 90% of us here would have the same result. None of us are surgeons or even nurses. What we can all agree on, before you tried desperately to get us to admit we "cant", is that we have the supplies to TRY to save a loved ones life. "please tell us how it's done so we can all learn as well" is a snarky remark and it contributes nothing to our discussion. This thread has gone PAGES without any of us arguing or pointing out the inadequacies of each other's kits or methods. Anyone who preps wants to be PREPARED for anything. None of us have claimed to be surgeons or doctors. I have read tons..and I mean tons of info on first aid and trauma. I've taken classes in trauma and my wife is a nurse. I didn't do all that so I could just start tying off people's veins at will and saving lives at the drop of a hat. You keep poking at the fact that you want us to admit we can't do it, but there's been plenty of cases of people performing remarkable tasks in emergency situations, that they wouldnt normally be capable of. Combat medics, half the time , are 19 yr old kids with a few months of training, yet they are able to stop massive bleeding and save lives on the battle field. All we are saying is that we would like to be as prepared as possible if the situation arrives. The chances are like .0001% that ill ever have to do it. The chances of a WROL situation are also very very slim. But, I have preps in place to help if that .0001% turns into 100%. Prepping is a little bit of fantasizing in a way. You read the books, you buy the gear, you practice, and you feel better about handling an emergency. Is it a false sense of security to keep a suture kit in case all hell breaks loose and theres no doctors? I guess so....but it's still a "sense" of security. There in absolutely no substitute for proper training with everything that takes someone's lives into your hands. But, in a prepped mind set, there are a lot of "what ifs". One of my "what ifs" is that what if a person had severe bleeding and needed to be sutured or have an artery clamped. My answer to that is to read read read on the subject of emergency medicine and have the supplies handy. Does it mean I could do it without flaw? Hell no it doesn't! But if it was life or death I would sure as hell try. So can we go back to talking about survival gear and stop arguing about who is the best arm chair surgeon? I've got more gear I want to talk about and I'm tired of arguing a pointless topic that is getting us nowhere. I commend those who are prepared and I hope to god we never have to attempt anything that would put someone's life at further risk should we screw up.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
I don't understand why you seem to need validation by one of us admitting we can't do simple surgery?! Well, here I go then. I'll have my piece of humble pie so we can rest this argument. I can't suture a vein. I probably would botch it up if I tried to suture a wound. 90% of us here would have the same result. None of us are surgeons or even nurses. What we can all agree on, before you tried desperately to get us to admit we "cant", is that we have the supplies to TRY to save a loved ones life. "please tell us how it's done so we can all learn as well" is a snarky remark and it contributes nothing to our discussion. This thread has gone PAGES without any of us arguing or pointing out the inadequacies of each other's kits or methods. Anyone who preps wants to be PREPARED for anything. None of us have claimed to be surgeons or doctors. I have read tons..and I mean tons of info on first aid and trauma. I've taken classes in trauma and my wife is a nurse. I didn't do all that so I could just start tying off people's veins at will and saving lives at the drop of a hat. You keep poking at the fact that you want us to admit we can't do it, but there's been plenty of cases of people performing remarkable tasks in emergency situations, that they wouldnt normally be capable of. Combat medics, half the time , are 19 yr old kids with a few months of training, yet they are able to stop massive bleeding and save lives on the battle field. All we are saying is that we would like to be as prepared as possible if the situation arrives. The chances are like .0001% that ill ever have to do it. The chances of a WROL situation are also very very slim. But, I have preps in place to help if that .0001% turns into 100%. Prepping is a little bit of fantasizing in a way. You read the books, you buy the gear, you practice, and you feel better about handling an emergency. Is it a false sense of security to keep a suture kit in case all hell breaks loose and theres no doctors? I guess so....but it's still a "sense" of security. There in absolutely no substitute for proper training with everything that takes someone's lives into your hands. But, in a prepped mind set, there are a lot of "what ifs". One of my "what ifs" is that what if a person had severe bleeding and needed to be sutured or have an artery clamped. My answer to that is to read read read on the subject of emergency medicine and have the supplies handy. Does it mean I could do it without flaw? Hell no it doesn't! But if it was life or death I would sure as hell try. So can we go back to talking about survival gear and stop arguing about who is the best arm chair surgeon? I've got more gear I want to talk about and I'm tired of arguing a pointless topic that is getting us nowhere. I commend those who are prepared and I hope to god we never have to attempt anything that would put someone's life at further risk should we screw up.
you're exactly right. so i'll depart this discussion and step back into the real world where i have real issues to deal with. good night.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #117

Liked 349 Times on 200 Posts

Quote:
you're exactly right. so i'll depart this discussion and step back into the real world where i have real issues to deal with. good night.
Thankfully I get to get away from my real world issues for a bit of fun every once in a while. Going to the shooting range, hiking, practicing with my gear, and reading this forum, are all nice escapes from the real world. We are just having a good time. There are plenty of prepping and survival courses that allow us to feel better about life and the bad situations that might come about. Maybe we all don't see eye to eye on everything, but that's part of learning new things. Goodnight man and thanks for all the good advice over the course of my time at this forum. I don't mean that sarcastically in any way at all. Picking up that walther ppq in a few hours. Pics to come on my other thread. Have a good night Axxe!

Old 04-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
Thankfully I get to get away from my real world issues for a bit of fun every once in a while. Going to the shooting range, hiking, practicing with my gear, and reading this forum, are all nice escapes from the real world. We are just having a good time. There are plenty of prepping and survival courses that allow us to feel better about life and the bad situations that might come about. Maybe we all don't see eye to eye on everything, but that's part of learning new things. Goodnight man and thanks for all the good advice over the course of my time at this forum. I don't mean that sarcastically in any way at all. Picking up that walther ppq in a few hours. Pics to come on my other thread. Have a good night Axxe!
the point i was trying to get across was simple. reality is that regardless of what equipment you have doesn't mean a thing unless you have the skills or the knowledge to use them. a sense of security isn't going to save your life or anyone else's life. that's a fact of life. another fact of life is that people die and there is nothing we can do many times to change that fact. i learned a long time ago to accept certain things in life. doesn't mean i just give up or give in, just at some point you have to accept things as they are and no matter what you do, you can't change them.

i just happen to be more like my father as days go by and have learned to live my life in a more pragmatic and practical sense and leave the escaping from reality to those who can afford such luxuries. i can't afford such things as reality is still there when you step back into the real world. i concentrate on things i can change and do what i can do.

Last edited by Axxe55; 04-26-2014 at 11:26 AM.