Bug out bag help - Page 11
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Bug out bag help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 10:57 PM   #101
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Any pack of industrial razor blades, dental floss, and needles will do. You will need to sharpen sewing needles with a file. Then boil everything first.

There are med supplies stores where you can buy scalpels, suture kits, etc. Google is your friend.

Generally outside of a hospital you are not going to want to stitch anything up except an artery. Everything else will heal on its own in an open wound configuration, as long as you rinse it out a lot with clean water.

Anyone knowing anything about surgery knows that already.
simply put, unless a person has some very extensive medical training in suturing arteries and other medical procedures, trying to do such things without that knowledge will lead to more problems than it fixes in the long run.

i am pretty sure outside of very few here, i doubt anyone else has any surgical training. and i don't care what you can buy on Ebay or anywhere else as far as surgical equipment, without the knowledge and training in using them, they are pretty much worthless to you.

having the tools to do a job doesn't qualify you to do that job.
widowmaker Likes This 
Old 04-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #102
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Bug out bag help

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
Any chance you can provide a link to a small surgical kit? I was having trouble finding a decent one.

I will look on their website. I was noting it from Their Catalog

Edit: medals ofamerica.Com and select Gear and Accessories then from that pull down click FIRST AID

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 04-25-2014 at 11:11 PM.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #103
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
simply put, unless a person has some very extensive medical training in suturing arteries and other medical procedures, trying to do such things without that knowledge will lead to more problems than it fixes in the long run.

i am pretty sure outside of very few here, i doubt anyone else has any surgical training. and i don't care what you can buy on Ebay or anywhere else as far as surgical equipment, without the knowledge and training in using them, they are pretty much worthless to you.

having the tools to do a job doesn't qualify you to do that job.

Correct. Even though I have EMT A and B, and AFA courses. I would never do it unless it's a Dire Emergency...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-25-2014, 11:11 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Correct. Even though I have EMT A and B, and AFA courses. I would never do it unless it's a Dire Emergency...

exactly! unless someone has extensive medical training, they ain't stitching on me, no matter how much medical gear they have they bought off Ebay!

i'll take my chances without their help.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:57 AM   #105

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
More ammo too! ��

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
My philosophy of how much ammo is enough is the greater of 1 year's supply or else as much as I can carry on my person.

I don't like to stockpile more than this at any given time.

So a couple of hundred rounds of 5.56 and a couple of hundred rounds of 45ACP, and the rest shotgun and scoped rifle.

Note -- my definition of a rifle is 22 inches or more barrel length. Anything less is a carbine not a rifle.

The M-14 is right on the border of a carbine and rifle, most commonly known as a battle rifle, since it is a short 308. I am happy to call it a rifle, although it functions mostly as a carbine -- a really big carbine.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:59 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post

The salient point being, that if it IS a dire emergency, you are going to need to do it -- no choice.

So you need to have the gear to do it ...

-- dental floss

-- needle

-- file to sharpen the needle.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:26 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
The salient point being, that if it IS a dire emergency, you are going to need to do it -- no choice.

So you need to have the gear to do it ...

-- dental floss

-- needle

-- file to sharpen the needle.
so are you capable of suturing an artery or a vein?

what are your medical qualifications?

just how many arteries or veins have you sutured? how many times have you sutured anything on a person?

Old 04-26-2014, 03:45 AM   #108

Liked 576 Times on 341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
so are you capable of suturing an artery or a vein?

what are your medical qualifications?

just how many arteries or veins have you sutured? how many times have you sutured anything on a person?
I think we are mostly talking about a "without rule of law" scenario. If my brother was bleeding out, and doctors were non existent, id sure as hell do anything I could to stop it, including tying off an artery if I could. This is absolute dead bottom worst case scenario. I'm not about to come upon a car accident and start sewing profusely bleeding wounds just because I "think I might be able to". We are talking the last line of care if you are beyond help from a doctor or medical professional. Check out the two books "ditch medicine" and "where there are no doctors". Pretty good reads and some interesting stuff on medicine in the field.
rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 04-26-2014, 04:18 AM   #109

Quote:
I think we are mostly talking about a "without rule of law" scenario. If my brother was bleeding out, and doctors were non existent, id sure as hell do anything I could to stop it, including tying off an artery if I could. This is absolute dead bottom worst case scenario. I'm not about to come upon a car accident and start sewing profusely bleeding wounds just because I "think I might be able to". We are talking the last line of care if you are beyond help from a doctor or medical professional. Check out the two books "ditch medicine" and "where there are no doctors". Pretty good reads and some interesting stuff on medicine in the field.
rule of law has nothing to do with the questions i posed. nor does it change the answers to the questions i posed.

so answer the questions i posed. then tell me if you think your brother is going to survive after you have answered those questions.

same scenario and it was my brother, yes, i would try to save his life, but the reality and i know it, he probably going to die. i don't like it one bit, but i accept it as a fact of life.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:29 AM   #110

Quote:
Exactly. Not only your brother, but your wife, your sister, your kid, and the stranger within your gates.
rifleman1 Likes This 

Newest Threads