Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bug out bag help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 126 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
I too keep some basic meds in my bag. I'm not on any long term prescriptions, but I keep aspirin, immodium, vitamins, and allergy meds like benadryl caplets. So, I've got pain, diarrhea, mild allergic reactions, and vitamin deficiencies covered. I'm sure I could use some more, but those are what I feel would get used the most. Currently looking to get a good water filter (probably the msr) and a good camp cook set. I've seen some stuff from GSI that I liked, but they are always pricier than most other brands. I need a decent sleeping bag too, but I'm not trying to spend $200 on a bag that might get used 2 or 3 times a year.
I keep an anti-bacterial ointment, and anti-fungal ointment, aspirin, ibuprofen, allergy pills, and tequila.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Ok I understand how this works but what do you back flush it with if your out in the woods? I wouldnt want to back flush with dirty water . I will be camping a weekend here coming up soon , I will take some pics the next time I clean my filter . I dont think I could get it clean with a syringe . I usually have to use a rubber scraper to clean the muck off and then lightly scrub it clean
The best thing -- at home or in the woods -- is take the filter apart and boil the parts. That will kill everything.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #93

Quote:
Any chance you can provide a link to a small surgical kit? I was having trouble finding a decent one.
Any pack of industrial razor blades, dental floss, and needles will do. You will need to sharpen sewing needles with a file. Then boil everything first.

There are med supplies stores where you can buy scalpels, suture kits, etc. Google is your friend.

Generally outside of a hospital you are not going to want to stitch anything up except an artery. Everything else will heal on its own in an open wound configuration, as long as you rinse it out a lot with clean water.

Anyone knowing anything about surgery knows that already.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #94

Liked 346 Times on 199 Posts

Thanks. I've seen some suture kits but they looked a little sketchy online. I keep 2 packs of celox in my IFAK to stop severe bleeding. There's a video online (if you have the stomach) of surgeons severing a femoral artery in a pig, and then using celox to completely stop the bleeding. Good stuff apparently.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #95

Just out of curiosity, do you keep the tequila as an anti septic AND for a drink? Lol I figured it would work great for both haha.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #96

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, do you keep the tequila as an anti septic AND for a drink? Lol I figured it would work great for both haha.
1800 is my favorite tequila -- it is crystal clear and great for both.

I need to buy more.

I have several months' supply of rice and water.

And 1000 rounds of ammo.

I need more tequila though.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #97

Quote:
Thanks. I've seen some suture kits but they looked a little sketchy online. I keep 2 packs of celox in my IFAK to stop severe bleeding. There's a video online (if you have the stomach) of surgeons severing a femoral artery in a pig, and then using celox to completely stop the bleeding. Good stuff apparently.
"Stopping the bleeding" is only a temporary step until you can get the person to a hospital and surgeons.

Ultimately if an artery is severed, it needs to be stitched back together.

That is the only thing you would ever "need" to stitch.

All other wounds heal whether stitched or not.

And stitching all other wounds could actually lead to gangrene if you did not cleans the wound correctly first.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #98
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 155 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Ok I understand how this works but what do you back flush it with if your out in the woods? I wouldnt want to back flush with dirty water . I will be camping a weekend here coming up soon , I will take some pics the next time I clean my filter . I dont think I could get it clean with a syringe . I usually have to use a rubber scraper to clean the muck off and then lightly scrub it clean
After you filter the water you can save a small amount of clean water to flush the filter through the syringe, is my thought. I can definitely understand where if your in a area that would be fairly muddy this may not work for you. My intention for this filter would be to use it to filter rain water not to go in the back woods with it, I have a katadyn combo for that. I didn't read through all the posts (ok I did but am to lazy to do it again to see what type of filter your using) but would look forward to those pics from your upcoming trip. I'm sure you have read or you this as well but just in case coffee filters are a good way to help pre-screen some of the mud from getting in and clogging the filter. Any ways have fun on your trip, I cant wait to go camping once the weather warms up a bit. Right now where I usually go there is still snow on the ground in some spots and a foot of ice on the lakes, makes it hard to go with two young kids.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
"Stopping the bleeding" is only a temporary step until you can get the person to a hospital and surgeons.

Ultimately if an artery is severed, it needs to be stitched back together.

That is the only thing you would ever "need" to stitch.

All other wounds heal whether stitched or not.

And stitching all other wounds could actually lead to gangrene if you did not cleans the wound correctly first.
Oh I agree, it's just nice to have something capable of stopping the bleeding relatively quickly. Obviously with a severed artery you would not have a blood supply to the limb, so repairing the artery is critical. I'd only use the celox if absolutely necessary. I'd consider myself well versed in first aid, but my wife is better....she's a nurse.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #100

Liked 228 Times on 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
1800 is my favorite tequila -- it is crystal clear and great for both.

I need to buy more.

I have several months' supply of rice and water.

And 1000 rounds of ammo.

I need more tequila though.

More ammo too! 😃

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk