Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bow and arrows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 03:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah mine is mostly for shtf prepping stuff part of my thinking is if anything happens everyone takes all the ammo and forgets the arrows

Old 12-02-2012, 03:17 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1166 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 2203

Forget the bow. Your not making your own arrows with a compound because wood isn't stiff enough for today's bows. You could make arrows for a recurve but your accuracy is going to suck. Arrows need to be exactly the same (weight, length, flex, vains, and so on) to be really accurate. You'll also need years of practice to get really good and you're still not going to take down a deer over 30 yards away. And small game would be very tough.

If things ever got really really bad, i.e. stone age, you might go with a bow then but that's about it.

Just my .02

Old 12-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker
Forget the bow. Your not making your own arrows with a compound because wood isn't stiff enough for today's bows. You could make arrows for a recurve but your accuracy is going to suck. Arrows need to be exactly the same (weight, length, flex, vains, and so on) to be really accurate. You'll also need years of practice to get really good and you're still not going to take down a deer over 30 yards away. And small game would be very tough.

If things ever got really really bad, i.e. stone age, you might go with a bow then but that's about it.

Just my .02
I need everyone's .02 cents for now and yes if I get one itl be a recurve I have rifles and pistols and shot guns

Old 12-02-2012, 04:09 AM   #14

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

I beg to differ. The first time I shot a bow I was getting great groups on target at 25 yards. I practice a lot at 30 yards. They make tips for bagging squirrels and small rodents. I've never shot one with a bow, but know I could hit a stationary one at 20 yards, no doubt.
30 yards I have no doubt I could hit a turkey.

I've stated it here before but what if the 'collapse' was just super hard economic times, and there were still cops and game wardens around and you wanted to get food quietly? A bow would be great for shooting onto a feed plot.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 04:21 AM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Ok what's a great recurve bow for around 150$ Martin jaguar?

Old 12-02-2012, 04:28 AM   #16

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_c2000
Ok what's a great recurve bow for around 150$ Martin jaguar?
If you've decided to purchase a bow, ignore everyone here and call your local archery shop. NOT a big box store. An actual archery store. Explain your situation, price, and etc... They'll hook you up.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 12-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #17

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post

If you've decided to purchase a bow, ignore everyone here and call your local archery shop. NOT a big box store. An actual archery store. Explain your situation, price, and etc... They'll hook you up.
+1000
My mom did this. A good, no BS archery shop is a great thing to see in action, especially if the employees are good.

In 3 hours, they had her set up with the perfect bow for her, with the perfect draw weight, the perfect arrows, and shooting silver dollar size groups at 20 yards at their indoor range.

It was the first time she'd ever even picked a bow up. And I was impressed that the young man took his time, was courteous and patient, and really seemed to care about treating his customer right.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #18
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1544 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 7877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
+1000
My mom did this. A good, no BS archery shop is a great thing to see in action, especially if the employees are good.

In 3 hours, they had her set up with the perfect bow for her, with the perfect draw weight, the perfect arrows, and shooting silver dollar size groups at 20 yards at their indoor range.

It was the first time she'd ever even picked a bow up. And I was impressed that the young man took his time, was courteous and patient, and really seemed to care about treating his customer right.
+10,000 on the bow. Both are QFT. Call an archery shop in your area, then go see them. After you are set up, practice, practice, and then practice some more. My wife and I both bowhunt, and our bows are hanging right next to our BOBs in the "hidden room" off our bed room. Yep, our apartment has a couple hidden rooms in it, great for keeping preps out of sight!

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1166 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 2203

If you are going with a bow for prepping then you need to keep it simple. 99% of bows today are compound bows set-up for a couple of weeks of hunting. They have all sorts of little gadgets to make them extremely accurate, but those gadgets are pretty fragile. Those are what most archery shops specialize in and that's not what you want. It's great that you're going with a recurve but that's old school stuff now and you might have to look around for a shop that can help with that. You'll want heavy wooden arrows and the old style broad heads. You'll also want some arrows setup with field tips for most of your practicing. Shoot the broad heads occasionally just to make sure they shoot the same. You'll also want to learn how to sharpen them, which is do-able with the old style.

I've used bows for much of my life and have shot big and small game with them. It takes a lot of practice to get good especially shooting with a recurve. Keep in mind that just because you can hit a target doesn't mean you're going to be able to take game or use it for defense when it counts. After you get your bow and practice with it find a 3d course in your area and go shoot it. That will let you know just how good your skills are, and take 3 times as many arrows as you think you'll need. You'll probably loose a lot of them on the first trip; everyone does on that first trip so don't let it get you down.

You might want to get lessons on shooting as well. The archery shop can help with that but again you might have to look around or travel to find one that can help with a recurve.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #20

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I've also been practicing with a recurve bow, I also have two compound bows but don't have any arrows for them yet. All my bows were given to me, my dad gave me his Indian hunter compound bow about a week ago cause he never uses it anymore. It currently doesnt have anything extra on it, just the bare bones bow. I may put an arrow rest and basic sight on it but that's all I really care to do to it.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380