Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bov

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex in OTZ View Post
A flat tire, wire wrapped axel, a puncterd radiator
Make no mistake, I understand full well the limits of my vehicle. I too grew up rural. We owned 30 acres in north west Maine and were surrounded by hundreds of acres of wilderness. I have no thoughts of going bush-wacking in my Jeep in SHTF situation. However, I like the idea that I can driver over a fallen tree, median, cross small streams etc. In fact last week we had a really bad wind storm (85mph+ winds) hit my town. There we downed trees all over and I was 15 miles away at my in-laws, my wife and kids were home alone and I was in my car. I had to back track and take several alternate routes to get to my house and I was lucky, most streets were blocked with downed trees. If I had the Jeep I would have been able to cross a couple medians and be home about 45 minutes sooner.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #22

Liked 614 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 577

My diesel was a total pain. The injector pump went out, it cost a fortune, wasnt rebuildable, and a total pain to change out.. It had to be timed with the motor.. Ill stick with my IH's... Everything is rebuildable on them even the fuel pump, Im already use to fabricating many of my own parts and gaskets. As a bonus 90% of the parts were made by other companys, it seems the only parts IH made were to connect all the other parts together...

As for fuel me and a friend are working on how to make it from something common in the desert ..

Old 07-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #23
Texas Ranger Fan!

Liked 16806 Times on 9743 Posts
Likes Given: 43865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Currently that may be true, but electric is becoming more and more dependable and available. As for repairable, electric has far fewer ways to fail and is easier to repair if you know what you are doing. Think about it this way, there are no oil changes, timing sets or valvetrain. You don't have to worry about contaminated fuel or fuel availability. Maintenance on an electric is pretty much tires and batteries. Oh, and the mechanical brakes, especially for vehicles that don't have regenerative braking. All factory new electric cars have primarily electric regenerative braking with the mechanical brakes as backup. This will soon be available for conversion vehicles as well.

Another benefit is that electric vehicles are nearly silent, especially at low speeds! Talk about stealthy!

The only downside is range and time to recharge, but even those are becoming less and less of an issue as time goes on.
the biggest advancement in electrical vehicles is the battery technology. one of the biggest problems was the size and weight of the batteries and short run times between chargings. batteries are getting much better, lighter, more powerful, longer run times and smaller. battery advancement is where i see the key factor in making electrical vehicles more adaptable to everyday driving. until the batteries get much better than even now, the hybrids are IMO the best way to go. not nearly as restrictive as a full electrical vehicle. i think there are going to be some major advancements and improvements in electrical vehicles over the next few years.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #24

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

the biggest advancement in electrical vehicles is the battery technology. one of the biggest problems was the size and weight of the batteries and short run times between chargings. batteries are getting much better, lighter, more powerful, longer run times and smaller. battery advancement is where i see the key factor in making electrical vehicles more adaptable to everyday driving. until the batteries get much better than even now, the hybrids are IMO the best way to go. not nearly as restrictive as a full electrical vehicle. i think there are going to be some major advancements and improvements in electrical vehicles over the next few years.
There better be for the amount of money we are putting toward this technology (and incentives) with our tax dollars...

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 07-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #25
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7311 Times on 4246 Posts
Likes Given: 9421

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Quite true. Batteries are the lynch pin and they need more improvement. The Tesla cars have the best range on the market right now and can go some 250 miles on a single charge, but those battery sets are upwards of $40K to completely replace them. From what I understand they cannot be depleted completely either or you trash the whole pack and it is not covered under warranty.

But it is improving......

If you read through M38Mike's Electro-Willys project you will see that he is planning a trip on the Alascan Highway, he has built a Bantam trailer up that will be hauling an extra battery pack of lithium ion batteries to extend his range. Not sure what he will expect out of it though.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #26

Liked 292 Times on 221 Posts

Right now I have a 78 power wagon with a 360 bored and stroked to a 408. Custom grinned cam by comp cams. Port and polished heads with a 4 angle valve job ext.... Np205 transfer case Dana 44 axels and 9" of lift.
It's grate for off road but it's super loud and gets like 60 yards per gallon lol. Good thing it's not a daily driver.

I like the idea of a grand Cherokee. Sadly I sold the one I had. I am also thanking about buying my brothers 93 explorer and just using it. (the wife won't let me have a Duce ;( )