Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bov

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JD1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lockport,Illinois
Posts: 748
Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Default

I already have one. It's a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Has the 4.6L V8 (gets around 16 town and 22 hwy). I put on a 4 inch lift, 31x12.5 tires on steel rims, otherwise it is stock and will stay that way. Plenty of room for our two kids and the dog (sorry cat you're on your own) and enough cargo room to bring what we need (basket up top ads a ton of space). The upside is that there are hundreds of thousands of these things on the road, parts are easy to find and it is actually not bad to work on (a 8,10,12,13 and 15mm socket and a couple screwdrivers will fit 90% of the fasteners). It tows good and handles half decent, it will go through mild to moderate terrain with ease. It is my hunting/fishing rig that pulls double duty.

__________________
JD1969 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rex in OTZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NW AK
Posts: 572
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Best to stay home

A flat tire, wire wrapped axel, a puncterd radiator

Two of the pictures are from the Balkans conflict of the 1990's, they found it was easy to throw up road blocks and stop vehicles, roving patrols and outposts on high ground cut down allot of back country travel, contending with local farmers cooperating with the local gun toters to ensuer ther continued survival (work for us or die).

I grew up rural, we had trespassers cross our property allot during the diffrent hunting seasons, they useally ended up walking into our place for a extraction after they made a bunch of mistakes and buried their vehicles to the axel trying to follow seasonal trails and crossing fields & pastures that were only passible during the dryest part the year & winter.(We made a bit of Money off foolish tresspassers just on extraction cost and the charge for torn up pasture the hunter rarely got off for less than $300)wouldent be much of a stretch imagining how to bottle neck the country side as effectively as roads and highways, bluffs, washouts, cutbanks, marshes, tree groves, creek & stream fords and levy roads, fire roads and section lines, Water Holes in dry country.

A stranger can waste allot of gas and time back tracking trekking through unfamiliar country, the bigger and heavyer the vehicle the harder to cross certain types of ground or extract.

Two pic's are of fires caused by vehicles.
Modern Vehicles with catalytic converters traversing grass country have caused more than just a few range fires, burning hundreds of acres, and burning up vehicles in the process.















__________________

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 07-08-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Rex in OTZ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,097
Liked 7385 Times on 4273 Posts
Likes Given: 9507

Default

How about an RV? It can tow a smaller vehicle like a Jeep or Bronco, plus I can load up everything I need for a long time on the road, main fuel tank holds 125 gallons of diesel and I am installing a couple of reserve tanks, propane generator on board, solar PV on the roof, around-the-world short-wave radio communications capability, fully self-contained home on wheels!

The plan is to bug in here at home, but if there is some catastrophic event that necessitates leaving I am taking the RV.

__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rex in OTZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NW AK
Posts: 572
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Bov

off road vehicle



__________________
Rex in OTZ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigByrd47119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,401
Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
How about an RV? It can tow a smaller vehicle like a Jeep or Bronco, plus I can load up everything I need for a long time on the road, main fuel tank holds 125 gallons of diesel and I am installing a couple of reserve tanks, propane generator on board, solar PV on the roof, around-the-world short-wave radio communications capability, fully self-contained home on wheels!

The plan is to bug in here at home, but if there is some catastrophic event that necessitates leaving I am taking the RV.
Its a thought but makes you a huge lumbering target for just about anyone that may want what ever you have inside.

Best bet IMO would be to find somewhere very secluded to park it and just use it as a hideout, using the smaller vehichle to move around (would be even better if your other vehichle was diesel and had a way to transfer from the RV to roving vehichle as needed)...
__________________

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

BigByrd47119 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,097
Liked 7385 Times on 4273 Posts
Likes Given: 9507

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Its a thought but makes you a huge lumbering target for just about anyone that may want what ever you have inside.

Best bet IMO would be to find somewhere very secluded to park it and just use it as a hideout, using the smaller vehichle to move around (would be even better if your other vehichle was diesel and had a way to transfer from the RV to roving vehichle as needed)...
Yeah, there is that. But that is only a concern if the SHTF includes total social breakdown like in the movies. If that is the case I will be bugging in, not out.

I would like to have a diesel Jeep or Bronco, but unless I build it myself that is not to be. Maybe someday. I am also thinking of an electric vehicle charged by solar so I wouldn't have to worry about fuel availability.

Here is what I would like to build, in one way or another.

http://www.rockymountains.net/~m38mike/electrowillys.html
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigByrd47119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,401
Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Default

Thats not a bad idea but in the long run diesel would be more dependable, repairable, and replacable IMO.

Nice to get the juices going though!

__________________

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

BigByrd47119 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,097
Liked 7385 Times on 4273 Posts
Likes Given: 9507

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Thats not a bad idea but in the long run diesel would be more dependable, repairable, and replacable IMO.

Nice to get the juices going though!
Currently that may be true, but electric is becoming more and more dependable and available. As for repairable, electric has far fewer ways to fail and is easier to repair if you know what you are doing. Think about it this way, there are no oil changes, timing sets or valvetrain. You don't have to worry about contaminated fuel or fuel availability. Maintenance on an electric is pretty much tires and batteries. Oh, and the mechanical brakes, especially for vehicles that don't have regenerative braking. All factory new electric cars have primarily electric regenerative braking with the mechanical brakes as backup. This will soon be available for conversion vehicles as well.

Another benefit is that electric vehicles are nearly silent, especially at low speeds! Talk about stealthy!

The only downside is range and time to recharge, but even those are becoming less and less of an issue as time goes on.
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigByrd47119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,401
Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Currently that may be true, but electric is becoming more and more dependable and available. As for repairable, electric has far fewer ways to fail and is easier to repair if you know what you are doing. Think about it this way, there are no oil changes, timing sets or valvetrain. You don't have to worry about contaminated fuel or fuel availability. Maintenance on an electric is pretty much tires and batteries. Oh, and the mechanical brakes, especially for vehicles that don't have regenerative braking. All factory new electric cars have primarily electric regenerative braking with the mechanical brakes as backup. This will soon be available for conversion vehicles as well.

Another benefit is that electric vehicles are nearly silent, especially at low speeds! Talk about stealthy!

The only downside is range and time to recharge, but even those are becoming less and less of an issue as time goes on.
Now your talking my language!

Until such a time as electrics are caught up with diesels I will stick to diesels simply because I do know how to work on them.

I know next to nothing about electrical :-P
__________________

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

BigByrd47119 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The best place in the world,TEXAS by God
Posts: 1,046
Liked 456 Times on 283 Posts

Default

The problem with any vehicle is its only as good as long as you have fuel to run it.
If I have to bug out I plan on using Horse power. I have twenty or so to chose from.

__________________

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

SSGSF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes