Bov
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bov

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lbwar15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,016
Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default Bov

I have seen threads on bug out bags, weapons and gear, even some bug out plans. I have not seen to much on bug out vehicles.

So here it is. In your opinion what would be the best vehicle to have? A big f-250 to push stuff out the way, something 4x4 with big tires to go places others can't, maybe a sports or muscle car for those quick git aways. How about the mighty m35 Duce and a half? What's more important to you, mpg,power, speed? Even tho the Duce is a multi fuel vehicle it gets some pretty crapy mpg could you really count on there being enuf fuel to power it to be around? You might no be able to just pull up at the pump and fill up.

__________________
lbwar15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 07-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jordan89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Defiance,Ohio
Posts: 1,255
Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
I have seen threads on bug out bags, weapons and gear, even some bug out plans. I have not seen to much on bug out vehicles.

So here it is. In your opinion what would be the best vehicle to have? A big f-250 to push stuff out the way, something 4x4 with big tires to go places others can't, maybe a sports or muscle car for those quick git aways. How about the mighty m35 Duce and a half? What's more important to you, mpg,power, speed? Even tho the Duce is a multi fuel vehicle it gets some pretty crapy mpg could you really count on there being enuf fuel to power it to be around? You might no be able to just pull up at the pump and fill up.
I really haven't thought to much on a BOV. But me and my closest friends and family have a bug out location in the middle of nowhere...we plan on meeting there and working together. I'd say just as long as I can make it to said location I'd be ok. We have a couple ATVs in a barn at that location that would suffice for any transportation we needed.

But for sake of the thread I'd like to have a jeep.
__________________

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

jordan89 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dog2000tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,309
Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Default

i'm secretly working on one of these

shtf-1.jpg  
__________________

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

dog2000tj is offline  
nhsuper44 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lbwar15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,016
Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj
i'm secretly working on one of these
It's not a secret now lol. You about as good at keeping a secret as Victoria is lol.
__________________
lbwar15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

4wd SUV or truck with a camper shell, oversize all terrain tires, winch, mild lift kit, brush and grille guard would be some of the things i think might needed in a BOV.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lbwar15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,016
Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default

The reason I started this thread was bc of a truck that passed me a few months ago. Black f-250 with a ram on the front and a sticker that said zombie apocalypse vehicle on the 1/4 panel.

__________________
lbwar15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigByrd47119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,401
Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Default

The unfortunant truth is that, much like firearms themselves, you will likely not find a "one-size-fits-all" solution.

Sometimes you need that f-950 with a 12 cylinder motor (.50 BMG) and sometimes you need a bike because its quicker than walking but a lot quieter than a car (.22 handgun).

Just my .02

__________________

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

BigByrd47119 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BallisticSurgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 57
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I have been leaning towards an early 90s model Jeep Wrangler. Small and agile for manuveuring, not horrible on gas, can be used off road when necessary and the maintenance is fairly easy on them to keep them running as long as you have fuel.

__________________
BallisticSurgeon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigByrd47119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,401
Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSurgeon
I have been leaning towards an early 90s model Jeep Wrangler. Small and agile for manuveuring, not horrible on gas, can be used off road when necessary and the maintenance is fairly easy on them to keep them running as long as you have fuel.
Seems like a great compromise. As an added bonus to your deduction, the Wrangler is a fairly common vehichle, at least around here, and spare parts should be plentiful which is great when coupled with the ease of maintainance.

Might consider a 90's cherokee for more room with the inline 6 cylinder as well.
__________________

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

BigByrd47119 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,285
Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Default

Quote:
The unfortunant truth is that, much like firearms themselves, you will likely not find a "one-size-fits-all" solution.

Sometimes you need that f-950 with a 12 cylinder motor (.50 BMG) and sometimes you need a bike because its quicker than walking but a lot quieter than a car (.22 handgun).
I agree +1
__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes