Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Bov (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/bov-67594/)

lbwar15 07-04-2012 07:01 AM

Bov

I have seen threads on bug out bags, weapons and gear, even some bug out plans. I have not seen to much on bug out vehicles.

So here it is. In your opinion what would be the best vehicle to have? A big f-250 to push stuff out the way, something 4x4 with big tires to go places others can't, maybe a sports or muscle car for those quick git aways. How about the mighty m35 Duce and a half? What's more important to you, mpg,power, speed? Even tho the Duce is a multi fuel vehicle it gets some pretty crapy mpg could you really count on there being enuf fuel to power it to be around? You might no be able to just pull up at the pump and fill up.

jordan89 07-04-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15 (Post 858510)
I have seen threads on bug out bags, weapons and gear, even some bug out plans. I have not seen to much on bug out vehicles.

So here it is. In your opinion what would be the best vehicle to have? A big f-250 to push stuff out the way, something 4x4 with big tires to go places others can't, maybe a sports or muscle car for those quick git aways. How about the mighty m35 Duce and a half? What's more important to you, mpg,power, speed? Even tho the Duce is a multi fuel vehicle it gets some pretty crapy mpg could you really count on there being enuf fuel to power it to be around? You might no be able to just pull up at the pump and fill up.

I really haven't thought to much on a BOV. But me and my closest friends and family have a bug out location in the middle of nowhere...we plan on meeting there and working together. I'd say just as long as I can make it to said location I'd be ok. We have a couple ATVs in a barn at that location that would suffice for any transportation we needed.

But for sake of the thread I'd like to have a jeep.

dog2000tj 07-04-2012 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i'm secretly working on one of these ;) :p

lbwar15 07-04-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj
i'm secretly working on one of these ;) :p

It's not a secret now lol. You about as good at keeping a secret as Victoria is lol.

Axxe55 07-04-2012 07:47 AM

4wd SUV or truck with a camper shell, oversize all terrain tires, winch, mild lift kit, brush and grille guard would be some of the things i think might needed in a BOV.

lbwar15 07-04-2012 08:10 AM

The reason I started this thread was bc of a truck that passed me a few months ago. Black f-250 with a ram on the front and a sticker that said zombie apocalypse vehicle on the 1/4 panel.

BigByrd47119 07-04-2012 09:54 AM

The unfortunant truth is that, much like firearms themselves, you will likely not find a "one-size-fits-all" solution.

Sometimes you need that f-950 with a 12 cylinder motor (.50 BMG) and sometimes you need a bike because its quicker than walking but a lot quieter than a car (.22 handgun).

Just my .02

BallisticSurgeon 07-04-2012 11:45 AM

I have been leaning towards an early 90s model Jeep Wrangler. Small and agile for manuveuring, not horrible on gas, can be used off road when necessary and the maintenance is fairly easy on them to keep them running as long as you have fuel.

BigByrd47119 07-04-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallisticSurgeon
I have been leaning towards an early 90s model Jeep Wrangler. Small and agile for manuveuring, not horrible on gas, can be used off road when necessary and the maintenance is fairly easy on them to keep them running as long as you have fuel.

Seems like a great compromise. As an added bonus to your deduction, the Wrangler is a fairly common vehichle, at least around here, and spare parts should be plentiful which is great when coupled with the ease of maintainance.

Might consider a 90's cherokee for more room with the inline 6 cylinder as well.

clr8ter 07-04-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

The unfortunant truth is that, much like firearms themselves, you will likely not find a "one-size-fits-all" solution.

Sometimes you need that f-950 with a 12 cylinder motor (.50 BMG) and sometimes you need a bike because its quicker than walking but a lot quieter than a car (.22 handgun).
I agree +1