Books - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Books

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenntyrant View Post
What are some good books to read on prepping? I have the prepper's pocket guide by Bernie Carr but would like to know some more good ones to order. I want to learn as much as I can.
Check out the Recommended Reading "sticky" at the top of this forum.

A great resource for prepping is The Survival Podcast (google it). Jack Spirko does a daily podcast and he's well worth listening to. His website and forum are great resources for preppers. It's very down-to-earth and friendly to newbies.

The Survival Blog is another one I enjoy and recommend.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #12

Liked 4450 Times on 2204 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
Mosin what is the exact name of that book and author? Thanks
Look up "Peterson Field Guides" There's a comprehensive list of books there. I use the guide to edible plants of north america, animal tracks and the seashore, which identifies animals along americas coasts.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #13

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin

Look up "Peterson Field Guides" There's a comprehensive list of books there. I use the guide to edible plants of north america, animal tracks and the seashore, which identifies animals along americas coasts.
Thanx mosin ill check out that one too. Anybody read the Foxfire books? A coworker was talking about them about a month ago.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1426 Times on 934 Posts
Likes Given: 3046

I posted a similar questions for recommended reading some time ago and got some really good responses. You can do a search for that thread and other similar threads.

On a side note, I think there are three types of books for preparedness and all have their uses. The first are books on prepping and they have good advice for things like storing supplies and emergency preparedness. Other books are more general knowledge type books like the Firefox books and those are my favorite type of books. Finally there's fiction and those are great for keeping your mind open to different possibilities along with giving some good ideas for things that could be used in an emergency while being entertaining.

Also, I've heard good stuff about the Firefox series. That's the one series I've been meaning to add to my library.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8713 Times on 5037 Posts
Likes Given: 11330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
I really like my Petersons Field Guide of Edible Plants in North America. Where I am water isn't an issue, but food could be. It's amazing the resources provided in this book. Pine needles for vitamin C, dandelion greens, Cat Tails as flour, Syrup, Clover, etc.. etc.... I could survive off the stuff in my yard that I would have never thought twice to even touch. I highly recommend this book.
I believe it is Douglas Fir needles that is recommended in that book. Pine needles are too nasty. Maybe if I got scurvy I would eat pine needles but not before. Dandelion greens are sold in whole foods stores around here. The cattail root can be made into flour but the acorns of the White Oak are much tastier.

Reading the books does you only a little bit of good. Better that you go out and learn it out in the field.

I really want to learn more about mushrooming. I know a few delicious ones that grow around here but not as much as I would like to know.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #16

Liked 4450 Times on 2204 Posts
Likes Given: 956

I apologize in advance, because I cant remember the name of the book and it isn't with me, but it's about early colonial living. That thing is loaded with info. I'd look for books along those lines. One cool thing I really liked was how colonists made windmills which pumped water up into a trough. The 1st section was for drinking, then the second part contained milk and cheese, in that manner it stayed "refrigerated". The trough then flowed to a drinking section for farm animals, and the overflow irrigated crops. Pretty ingenious.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #17

Look up Ragnar benson he's got some good books.. Just take some of it with a few grains of salt