Boil water for how long? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Boil water for how long?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Bring water TO the full boiling point -- you're done, as are the buggies. This has been making the rounds recently. Sorta Pasteurization...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-06-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #22

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

how much bleech per will say gallon of water is recomened in cleaning it?

Old 05-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #23

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default From FEMA

Chlorination

You can use household liquid bleach to kill microorganisms. Use only regular household liquid bleach that contains 5.25 to 6.0 percent sodium hypochlorite. Do not use scented bleaches, color safe bleaches, or bleaches with added cleaners. Because the potency of bleach diminishes with time, use bleach from a newly opened or unopened bottle.

Add 16 drops (1/8 teaspoon) of bleach per gallon of water, stir, and let stand for 30 minutes. The water should have a slight bleach odor. If it doesn’t, then repeat the dosage and let stand another 15 minutes. If it still does not smell of chlorine, discard it and find another source of water.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #24

Liked 4525 Times on 2252 Posts
Likes Given: 1017

Or you can use the "Obama method" to boil water. Collect water, collect firewood. Start fire and boil for 10-15 minutes. Cool water, then treat with chemical tabs. Let sit for 4 hours, test to see if it's safe. Then give it to those who took no effort to make their own water.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thank you all. I think I have the info I was looking for. The general census is, even at 180 degrees (like 2 miles up), the time it takes to boil and cool the water its safe. Thank you all.

Couple comments on these replies;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Ive never encountered a situation where the water was so scarce that I couldn't boil it for long periods. I boil for 10-15 minutes.
Its not about the water supply, but the limited fuel resouces. You are boiling your water for 10-15 minutes past what you need to and are wasting fuel. When you pass 180 degrees and hit 212 (a rolling boil) you have to wait about 10 minutes for the water to cool. That ten minutes = pasteurization. You do not need to go past 1 second of a rolling boil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Bring water TO the full boiling point -- you're done, as are the buggies. This has been making the rounds recently. Sorta Pasteurization...
yes, but there was some concerns made by a few that there were dangerous bugs (spores) at higher altitudes that can survive 180 degrees. Since the water is boiling at 180...some say you need to keep going which will eventually "cook" the spore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchhatchery View Post
Good info here The best tip I have heard was if you need to be able to smell the bleach in the water after 2 minutes. Then leave the water in the sun [covered] for 30 minutes. If you can not longer smell the bleach..drink away. If you can still smell the bleach, put it back in the sun and wait another 30 minutes. Use like 8 to 10 drops of 1% Cl at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Chlorination

You can use household liquid bleach to kill microorganisms. Use only regular household liquid bleach that contains 5.25 to 6.0 percent sodium hypochlorite. Do not use scented bleaches, color safe bleaches, or bleaches with added cleaners. Because the potency of bleach diminishes with time, use bleach from a newly opened or unopened bottle.

Add 16 drops (1/8 teaspoon) of bleach per gallon of water, stir, and let stand for 30 minutes. The water should have a slight bleach odor. If it doesn’t, then repeat the dosage and let stand another 15 minutes. If it still does not smell of chlorine, discard it and find another source of water.
^ Good stuff here.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #26

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchhatchery View Post

Old 05-07-2012, 04:33 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
A filter would not stop a virus, correct.

But viruses normally need to be spread by blood to open cut transmission (the origin of AIDS from monkeys to monkey hunters), or person to person (the common influenze virus), or animal to person (in China where the influenza viruses get their start).
Viruses cannot survive in water alone.
Anywhere you have contamination from human waste, there is a chance for Virus. That is why cities disinfect both their drinking water supplies and treated wastewater.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:36 AM   #28
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

The only way to gaurantee water is as safe as possible is to use a good filter .2 Micron.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:41 AM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
I have.

Whenever I go to Cozumel or Cancun or LaPaz or Cabo, I only drink Corona's. No time to boil anything then. And dare not drink the water.
If I'm going to drink Corona, it will be from a poolside bar in the good old USA. Not wearing seatbelts is a whole lot safer than a trip to Mexico.

I will take a Coors over a Corona any day.