Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Boil water for how long?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 118 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Anywhere people or animals have gone, there is a chance for biological or organic contamination. It only takes a little contamination to mess you up, and there is no visual test to tell the difference between safe and likely safe water. So unless it comes from a municipal tap, you take a risk if you don't treat the water.

Boiling is effective for biological contaminants, but not organics like pesticides. At altitude, 5 minutes is a common recommendation.

Mixed oxidant is effective on biological contaminants but not organics, but needs sufficient contact time, usually 30 minutes. MiOx is best, but chlorine will work well in a pinch.

Filters work pretty well on organics, but may miss biologicals like virus. MSR makes a filter and includes MiOx drops to knock off the biologicals...a nice combination.
A filter would not stop a virus, correct.

But viruses normally need to be spread by blood to open cut transmission (the origin of AIDS from monkeys to monkey hunters), or person to person (the common influenze virus), or animal to person (in China where the influenza viruses get their start).

Viruses cannot survive in water alone.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #12
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Most organisms grow and thrive in the temperature range between 40-140 degrees. 165 degrees kills just about everything. By the time you get to a rolling boil everything is dead.

A post above mentions boiling canned goods for 10 minutes. This applies to home canned goods. If the can or jar is not properly sanitized prior to canning, it is prime for botulism. It is the toxin not the bacteria that makes you sick. It grows in a non oxygen environment. This us why its a good idea to throw away bulging or dented canned goods.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:50 AM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1656 Times on 902 Posts
Likes Given: 528

And dont melt yellow snow.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:56 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5106 Times on 2656 Posts
Likes Given: 310

http://www.doh.wa.gov/phepr/handbook/purify.htm

Quote:
Purifying Household Water
The treatments described below work only in situations where the water is unsafe because of the presence of bacteria or viruses. If you suspect the water is unsafe because of chemicals, oils, poisonous substances, sewage or other contaminants, do not use the water for drinking.

Storing water safely

Store one gallon of water per person per day.

Store at least a three-day supply of water per person.

Collect the water from a safe supply.

Thoroughly washed plastic containers such as soft drink bottles are best. You can also purchase food-grade plastic buckets or drums.

Seal water containers tightly, label with date, and store in a cool, dark place.

Replace water every six months.

Never reuse a container that contained toxic materials such as pesticides, solvents, chemicals, oil or antifreeze.

Water purification

There are two primary ways to treat water: boiling and adding bleach. If tap water is unsafe because of water contamination (from floods, streams or lakes), boiling is the best method.

Cloudy water should be filtered before boiling or adding bleach.

Filter water using coffee filters, paper towels, cheese cloth or a cotton plug in a funnel.

Boiling

Boiling is the safest way to purify water.

Bring the water to a rolling boil for one minute.

Let the water cool before drinking.

Purifying by adding liquid chlorine bleach

If boiling is not possible, treat water by adding liquid household bleach, such as Clorox or Purex. Household bleach is typically between 5 percent and 6 percent chlorine. Avoid using bleaches that contain perfumes, dyes and other additives. Be sure to read the label.

Place the water (filtered, if necessary) in a clean container. Add the amount of bleach according to the table below.

Mix thoroughly and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes before using (60 minutes if the water is cloudy or very cold).

Treating Water with a 5-6 Percent Liquid Chlorine Bleach Solution
Volume of Water to be Treated/ Treating Clear / Treating cold or Cloudy Water:

1 quart-1 liter / 3 drops / 5 drops
1/2 gallon-2 quarts/2 liters / 5 drops / 10 drops
1 gallon / 1/8 teaspoon / 1/4 teaspoon
5 gallons / 1/2 teaspoon / 1 teaspoon
10 gallons / 1 teaspoon / 2 teaspoons
its wise to always include a gallon of bleach in your survival gear. if you cant get a fire going or dont have a container capable of boiling water bleach is an excellent substitute

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-06-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:24 AM   #15

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

By the time you get to 185 degrees, it's safe.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8310 Times on 3592 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Have drunk from glaciers, rivers, streams, swamps, mud puddles, and rice paddies (when real thirsty, hold nose, drink)

Do not assume that altitude has removed ALL biohazards. Birds fly higher than you are. Have been at 14000 feet and looked up at birds.

Yes, getting water to a boil kills biohazards. Chemical additives such as chlorine or hyper iodide kills MANY of the biohazards- but some it takes time to kill (Giardia, liver flukes). I use a PUR Katadyn filter good for 0.3 microns, keep iodine tabs with canteen JIC.

CHEMICAL contamination is another matter.

Of course, there is the old school additive for purification.........

rum.jpg

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Have drunk from rivers, streams, swamps, mud puddles, and rice paddies (when real thirsty, hold nose, drink)

Do not assume that altitude has removed ALL biohazards. Birds fly higher than you are. Have been at 14000 feet and looked up at birds.

Yes, getting water to a boil kills biohazards. Chemical additives such as chlorine or hyper iodide kills MANY of the biohazards- but some it takes time to kill (Giardia, liver flukes). I use a PUR Katadyn filter good for 0.3 microns, keep iodine tabs with canteen JIC.

CHEMICAL contamination is another matter.

Of course, there is the old school additive for purification.........

Attachment 45095

C3 you are definitely a manly man. Nice beverage list.

I cannot drink that rot-gut on backpack trips however.

I therefore normally plan my backpack trips around natural springs.

And for hikes I bring my water (usually Gatoraide actually) with me.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #18

Liked 3679 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Ive never encountered a situation where the water was so scarce that I couldn't boil it for long periods. I boil for 10-15 minutes.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Ive never encountered a situation where the water was so scarce that I couldn't boil it for long periods. I boil for 10-15 minutes.
I have.

Whenever I go to Cozumel or Cancun or LaPaz or Cabo, I only drink Corona's. No time to boil anything then. And dare not drink the water.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #20

Liked 3679 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
I have.

Whenever I go to Cozumel or Cancun or LaPaz or Cabo, I only drink Corona's. No time to boil anything then. And dare not drink the water.
Yeah, okay. I give you that. I was in Rosarito and only drank Pacifico.