Which BOB
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Which BOB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Default Which BOB

I am looking for a new BOB. I have had mine on a couple of small, crappy duffel type bags. I want to get something that is more along the lines of a backpack but is reasonably priced and well made. What are your recommendations?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

How big of a backpack do you want to be carrying? What kind of size are you needing?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #3

A 3 day pack. I have looked at 5.11, Voodoo Tactical and Condor but don't know what quality the last two are. I have even entertained the thought of a full backpack but am unsure.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would recommend you definitely check out Maxpedition. Jack and I both own the exact same backpack ( I think it's the Monsoon Gearslinger ) for daily commuting travel and it's awesome. I think someone, might have been Goju or Yunus, bought the same pack and I believe they liked it as well.

I have an OLD, like before he had a website and was just a local guy, two-stage backpack from Tactical Tailor. It used to be called his 3-day Assault Plus pack, but I don't think he is marketing the same one any longer.

This one is a big, full sized backpack with a padded waist strap and the whole nine. Then it has a normal, everyday backpack top that zips off, so you actually have two packs in one. The top pack has been, literally, all over the world with me and it's still going strong. With the "Tactical Tailor" logo though, it's not real popular at airports, especially post 9/11. If I ever take it, I get the full frisk job and the white glove bomb wipe down on it EVERY time like clock work.

The guy who runs Tactical Tailor is named Logan Coffe and if you e-mail him, he is known for doing special runs of really cool gear. I can get you some photos if you are interested, but I bet it costs you a few bills these days. This thing was hardcore before there was Blackhawk Tactical and those types of places.

JD

Old 06-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I've been thinking that this one would be the ultimate camouflage model:

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This is the matching BDU shirt:

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

In all seriousness, what about an Alice pack?

Old 06-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The guy who runs Tactical Tailor is named Logan Coffe and if you e-mail him, ....

JD
He is gone JD, killed in a car accident a while back. Sad deal.
TT still exists though.

Cant go wrong with their stuff. I would stay far away from Voodoo "tactical" stuff. Not the best made gear.

ATS rocks the box; cant go wrong with a RAID pack (what I use for mine) and use a second one for work.

MAX is good stuff too. For durability will need to go with a "mil style", they are the most bombproof. If you want to blend in though, will need to look for a balance between durability and non mil looking. Still some good choices (Mtn Hardware makes good stuff at a decent price).

Old 06-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

This bag from LApolicegear with a Maxpedition medkit bag on the side. That covers food, water, shelter, fire, navigation, medical and some comfort. Clothing and arms are separate bags (both Maxpedition, if memory serves).

Old 06-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
In all seriousness, what about an Alice pack?
Took your advice and have been looking at Military Surplus stuff like the Alice pack and came across this. What are your thoughts?