Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   blow gun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/blow-gun-22379/)

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe 01-20-2010 01:11 AM

blow gun?

Do you guys think that with some practice a blowgun would be worth placing into the bob? What kind of range cld i expect with one of the cold steel 2 piece 5 foot blow guns with the razor hunting tips? I really think this would answer all my silent hunting needs.

Gojubrian 01-20-2010 01:30 AM

I use to kill little birdies all day with blowguns. :)

An airgun would be more practical, but a blowgun will work..or a slingshot.

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe 01-20-2010 01:35 AM

yea, my girlfriend wants a wrist rocket for her bob... i might add a fold able one as well. but wldnt a kill be more guaranteed with a razor tip broad head hunting dart?

Gojubrian 01-20-2010 01:50 AM

More penetration with a razortip, but shot placement in key. :D

Leavingplatoscomphycave 02-22-2010 05:40 AM

cold steel let me down on this one

I went to the shot show in zoni when i was like 14 and talked my father into forking out 20 bucks for a black piece of metal tubing and i never used it till recently and it was a big let down, you kinda have to have the lung capacity of a cow to make that lil "razor tip" dart go far (they call it a razor tip but its not that sharp to my disapointment). Dont get me wrong i love cold steel and have a few of there knifes (only factory seconds because i cant afford the brand new ones) and i actualy met lynn thompson at that shot show in arizona (i didnt know who he was being a little kid and i kinda got in his face about the crappy sheaths they sent me when i purchased some factory second knives my dad was beat red XD haha)

Leavingplatoscomphycave 02-22-2010 05:44 AM

one last thing

if you guys have read the book Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse their solution to silent hunting is a crossbow, it seems much more affective than a blowgun because you can probally take down something bigger than just "birdies"

saviorslegacy 02-25-2010 05:18 AM

Hey, something I know a little bit about.
I do not use a standard blow gun and darts, I make my own (there is something special about tying your own darts). I do, however, have a friend who uses one so I am aquatinted with it.

I would expect maybe 100' of range. After that it gets incredibly hard to hit stuff accurately and consistently.
Some plus's about a blow gun is; silent, dependable, little movement when operating (with a slingshot you have a very large motion that you have to go through before shooting), darts are reusable and usually not that hard to find again, the ammo is small, because you use natural aim to operate it, it is very accurate... that is if you practice a lot and the whole unit isn't that big.

I am no expert, but I would use it before I would a sling shot. Of course, I am kind of obsessed with blow guns. lol