BEST survival rifle - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > BEST survival rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 12:15 AM   #81

Patroling pourposes my AR with my .308 remington in it's drag bag... (survival my AR and my T/C PISTOL in .308 nothing on the lower 48 will be much of a bother....with a heart/lung or well placed cranium injection.....(which i like best)

Old 02-17-2009, 06:31 AM   #82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I believe there is no perfect survival rifle or any gun for that matter. A survival firearm will 1. put food in your stomach 2. stop any threats to yourself or close friends/family etc. So, everyone has an opinion on a which is "best".

Now for what I think. If I got to choose ONLY 1 firearm for getting food and protecting myself and others, I would not hesitate to grab my 12 gauge. However, I dont think I could leave any firearms behind. 12 gauge is a great all around gun. Plenty of power to take down an animal or any threat to you.

Just my humble opinion. Take it how you wish. To each his own.

S.S.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:26 AM   #83

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have to humbly dissagree with the shotgun crowd. Not all survival situations are at close range. If you do actual tests on buckshot the max range is just 30 yards in most guns. To get any hunting range with slugs from an iron sighted smoothbore is reputed to be 150 yards at best. 00 buck is one of the most over rated loads around for big game stopping power even on light skinned game, just ask any proffessional hunter in africa, these people have actually used it. Ammo is very heavy so alot less can be carried. Noise report is loud letting everyone in 1/2 mile know where you are. The perfect senerio would have 2 guns the most important would be a very accurate 22 pistol. then a high power rifle in a very common round like a 308 win. Make it very light and short with both scope and iron sights backup.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #84

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
I have to humbly dissagree with the shotgun crowd...Noise report is loud letting everyone in 1/2 mile know where you are.
The perfect senerio would have...a high power rifle in a very common round like a 308 win.
Is a .308 or .30-06 really any quieter than a 12g?

My survival gun is my 10/22, for the following reasons.

1) On average I shoot about 200 rounds a week with it. At best, I could shoot about 20 rounds of any rifle-caliber for the same amount of money (which is largely a limiting factor in my practice). This means over the last 6 months, I have shot about 5000 rounds through it, as opposed to only about 500. On top of that, because the limited range and noise report, I can more safely practice more "practical" scenarios. I can hit 3" targets at 50 yards, about one every second. I have practiced shooting from behind cover. I have practiced dumping all the rounds into an upper torso in quick succession from very close ranges, and I have practiced shooting at those same steel torso targets at 200 yards with my red-dot sight. I believe I am far more comfortable and familiar weapon than if I had chosen a higher-powered weapon.

This is the main reason I choose it.

2) Ammo size and capacity, as stated before. I have a plastic container that is about 6" tall and 2" diameter, that holds almost 300 rounds of .22lr ammo. I keep it in my BOB, but I could just as easily stuff it in any of my pants' pockets, whereas maybe fifty .223 or twenty 12g would fit in the same spot. The four 25rd TI25 mags I have give me lots of available rounds, while still taking half the space of AR mags.

3) In a survival situation, the less attention one draws to himself, the better. We all know the .22lr is about the quietest viable round, and when I get my suppressor it will be even better.

Though, I will stress that I wouldn't and don't recommend a .22lr weapon unless practice is frequent and extensive, and only if that practice would not be possible with a larger caliber. This follows my situation because the type of practice and its frequency is limited by the cost of ammo and the type of ammo (I couldn't shoot .223 in the places I shoot .22lr).

Now, really, I'd have my Model 92 9mm, and my soon-to-be-acquired 8" .357mag revolver with me. The rifle would most likely stay in the pack.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #85

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd like to have an old Savage .22 / 410. I remember a number of pilots asking which was the best handgun for them if they had to bail out over Indian Territory, because despite official decree that they had to carry the Beretta, these kids had money and connections (Me). Most wanted more firepower.
I told them all that their best choice was a high-capacity .22, since never in the history of aviation has a downed pilot single-handedly won a war using a handgun. "A Wrist-Rocket and a pocket full of marbles" wasn't greeted with much enthusiasm.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #86

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Is a .308 or .30-06 really any quieter than a 12g?

My survival gun is my 10/22, for the following reasons.

1) On average I shoot about 200 rounds a week with it. At best, I could shoot about 20 rounds of any rifle-caliber for the same amount of money (which is largely a limiting factor in my practice). This means over the last 6 months, I have shot about 5000 rounds through it, as opposed to only about 500. On top of that, because the limited range and noise report, I can more safely practice more "practical" scenarios. I can hit 3" targets at 50 yards, about one every second. I have practiced shooting from behind cover. I have practiced dumping all the rounds into an upper torso in quick succession from very close ranges, and I have practiced shooting at those same steel torso targets at 200 yards with my red-dot sight. I believe I am far more comfortable and familiar weapon than if I had chosen a higher-powered weapon.

This is the main reason I choose it.

2) Ammo size and capacity, as stated before. I have a plastic container that is about 6" tall and 2" diameter, that holds almost 300 rounds of .22lr ammo. I keep it in my BOB, but I could just as easily stuff it in any of my pants' pockets, whereas maybe fifty .223 or twenty 12g would fit in the same spot. The four 25rd TI25 mags I have give me lots of available rounds, while still taking half the space of AR mags.

3) In a survival situation, the less attention one draws to himself, the better. We all know the .22lr is about the quietest viable round, and when I get my suppressor it will be even better.

Though, I will stress that I wouldn't and don't recommend a .22lr weapon unless practice is frequent and extensive, and only if that practice would not be possible with a larger caliber. This follows my situation because the type of practice and its frequency is limited by the cost of ammo and the type of ammo (I couldn't shoot .223 in the places I shoot .22lr).

Now, really, I'd have my Model 92 9mm, and my soon-to-be-acquired 8" .357mag revolver with me. The rifle would most likely stay in the pack.
No as a matter of fact the 308 or 30-06 is louder, this is why i suggest a 22 pistol to go along with the high power. If only one rifle then a 308 or 30-06 can use a cartridge adapter that allows you to use 32 acp's in your rifle and they are quiet.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #87

Liked 77 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Whats this thread supposed to be about?

If its a survival rifle that basicly boils down to a lightweight/takedown hunting rifle/carbine I would think that in hunting for small game in a survival situation a good accurate and none too heavy .22 rimfire would suffice.
marlin makes the Papapose, or the nice little browning take down auto.22 or the Norinco copy, a lever action takedown like a Winchester 9422 trapper or the Model 63 semiauto or the model 62pump or Taurus/Rossi copies.
The little ar-7's arnt as good as compaired to the Browning for shure!

The thread started off as a survival rifle? if its some sort of SHTF urban battle weapon then that could be anything that goes bang according to all the replys from a 50 cal which is a killer but not practical to haul around in a shifting battle SHTF situation.
Loud reports announce ones location alerting unfriendly people who may ambush you & take your stuff, I'd think stealth & avoidence would be best as one wouldent be able to carry enough ammo to win a firefight if caught in a un-defendable position or caught crossing a open area.
and who would mount a multi man patrol to subsistance hunt?
Anyone caught hunting would be compition for limited food recources in your area and eliminating others would assure your food supply so strangers would be eliminated automaticly, anyone wandering into your area of operations would most likely be hunted down and eliminated .

In a survival situation I would hold up some where (defend with a shotguns and a couple repeating rifles) and check my snares and traps at dusk rather than risk being a target for some trigger happy SHTF survivalist.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 03-03-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #88

well now that we got a huge bunch of gun-bunny's out there in the wood's... either with friend's or alone.... do any of you know how it is when the sun goes down , nothing will drive a 6 foot 6 muscle-bound person totaly mad (scared ****tless) as being alone in the wood's at night..... maybe some of you need to start spending night's in your back yard before the crap does hit the fan.... ( Id hate to see some of ya go whinning to momma soon as it gets dark and the wood's start's making noise (which it does ) just my opinion !

Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill-Zone View Post
well now that we got a huge bunch of gun-bunny's out there in the wood's... either with friend's or alone.... do any of you know how it is when the sun goes down , nothing will drive a 6 foot 6 muscle-bound person totaly mad (scared ****tless) as being alone in the wood's at night.....
I broke into a full sprint once at the sound of a mule; i could've sworn it was a PO'd cougar at the time. I LOL'd when i finally saw what it was.

As far as a survival rifle, if i was just looking to stay fed & not so much for self-defense against hordes of gun-toting survivalists , i'd want one of those folding over-under guns they gave pilots back in the day. My cousin had one that had a .410 up top with a .22 hornet on the bottom & room for a bit of ammo in the stock. I think it was one of these, surplus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M6_Aircrew_Survival_Weapon

If i had to thin the competition for food or fend off invading city folk, i'd want my 12 guage & some wire & if at all possible some decently-walled steel pipe & nails.

edit* I'd get over the not-eating-meat thing fairly quickly, but there are plenty of edible plants & tubers for those of us who don't particularly like the taste of meat (no, i'm not a PETAer). Around here, though, fish would be too easy of a food source to pass up considering the calories & protein in your average catfish. I guess i should add some small diameter (1/8") dark-colored rope & hooks for a trotline or set lines. You dog lovers considering how much dog food to carry should remember that catfish love it too, even the cheap stuff.

Last edited by orangello; 03-04-2009 at 10:00 PM.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #90

you said ''Orangello'' firearm's just aint gonna cut it... knowledge is a wonderfull thing when it comes to wood's-living.... aint to many people out there gonna be friendly that you''ll meet..... they will be wanting what you got.... you'd better be prepared... Pilgrim !