BEST survival rifle - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > BEST survival rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Oh how do I like the the conversation of the "Best Survival Rifle"...my ears are alway's open cause once in awhile you can learn from someone. Only you know what you can and can not do. Someone who buys and pimps out their weapons for the range w/out the experience and skill probelly won't do so good when S**** happens. Reality is reality! You have to backwards think and start with what is one of the worst SHTF!
Forget about transportation after a few days...GAS! The safest place is the woods and hills. OK...now how much can you carry, essential gear??? What is in your AO to eat? Two important questions out of many but two at the top of the list.
Now for my 2 cents.... The 22 is the overall best choice. You can carry thousands of rounds. But I would not limit myself...I would also carry my 12 guage w/ game shots and a few slugs. Fits perfect acroos the top of my backpack....great camp security! This is just my opinion!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellolab94 View Post
Forget about transportation after a few days...GAS!
I'm glad you mentioned this, as I've thought about it as well. Survivors better have some bicycles or hope some horses and mules survived, because vehicles aren't going to be running for too long after civilization falls.

The Lost King of Scotland

Old 04-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #43

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The .22 magnum is a pretty good round but most people have gone with the .223 caliber rounds because they are "a little bit better" than the .22 mags. I thought about going with a Ruger 10-22 carbine in the .22 magnum format but decided against it. For all intents, the .223 is nothing more than a glorified .22 magnum any way. The thing that got me was that the .22 magnum ammo is really not all that much cheaper than some .223 ammo.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:29 AM   #44

i prefer the pitch fork for my survival weapon. you can catch and eat a lot of babies with a pitch fork!!!!
just kidding. i live in a semi-urban area so i'm more concerned with 2 legged predators that will be out if the shtf. i trust my AR with trijicon acog, and surefire mu light. if were in the woods, .22lr or .22 mag would be my choice.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #45

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Best Survival Rifle?

Hello all

Ron L here =SERESURPLUS

I use and still Prefer the AK design for many applications, Survival is one of them, but as my Falily has other members in it, I see the wisdon of Useing an AR platform, and perhaps adding a 22LR Conversion stashed along with it? I'm not a big Fan of .223, but do see the Modular Nature of AR as Viable, as well, the adaptability to use .22LR makes it a 2 in one gun and it's worth consideration! Would anyone ever have thought that they would hear that from me?

Old 05-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post
Hello all

Ron L here =SERESURPLUS

I use and still Prefer the AK design for many applications, Survival is one of them, but as my Falily has other members in it, I see the wisdon of Useing an AR platform, and perhaps adding a 22LR Conversion stashed along with it? I'm not a big Fan of .223, but do see the Modular Nature of AR as Viable, as well, the adaptability to use .22LR makes it a 2 in one gun and it's worth consideration! Would anyone ever have thought that they would hear that from me?
i hear what your saying. the ak has many advantages over the AR platform. for one thing it's much less fussy and has better terminal ballistics. i spent 11 years in the army so i'm hardwired to my AR. i wonder if those gas piston variants resolve the problems with the impingement system. also, i can't get comfortable with the safety catch on the AK. if i put together an AK in the future i might opt for one made by krebs. i heard they're really good.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #47

Mr Flint Rock....I used to own two of those 1894c carbines and have to agree with you. They are one of the most vesatile guns ever. I also got a few rabbits with the 38 loads. A shotshell in that bad boy makes a mess out of a copperhead. I also note that it will do with 357 loads what most people THINK a 357 will do in a pistol. It is very massively destructable combo. It has an 18 inch closed breach barrel. Put a factory 158 grain load in there and you can get about 1600 fps out of that. I have not chronographed, but it is an uneducated guess. I just know when I shot a plastic milk jug with the remington 158 JHP it tore up the jug so bad there was pieces of plactic sticking in the wood of the plank the jug was sitting on.

I miss that little carbine. Anybody know where I can find one again?

Dave

Old 06-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #48

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My RRA Ar-15 with a .458 Socom upper will cover all bases!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-15-2008, 03:06 AM   #49

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Such specific answers. When I think of survival, I think of not only providing food for the table, but defense against man. I can't see a .22 being such a great defense there.

I like nearly any high powered rifle (not necessarily AR) for this job. But as I am not in possession of a lot of money, I have to live on the one weapon I have..my SIG P220. Not great for hunting, but it will discourage people from breaking in.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #50

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post
Hello all

Ron L here =SERESURPLUS

No..........!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"