BEST survival rifle - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > BEST survival rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 02:21 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 12 Gauge

I don't think things will ever get soooooo bad that I need to carry a thousand rounds. I may have that much back home, but I don't carry it, so ammo weight is not really an issue for me.
I like my Marlin .357 as a single rifle choice, but JeepeJeep is right about a 12 gauge being a good choice also. I have a safe full of guns, but the one gun that has actually shot the most non-paper targets is, drum roll please, a single shot 12 gauge.
I never really thought about it but that cheap New England Firearms 12 gauge is the long gun that I reach for most. It hangs on a wall in a garage utility room, always ready to go, ready to take on just about anything. Maybe I should change my vote.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:08 PM   #22
RED

Likes Given: 1

Default If shtf happens...

I would want a firearm that will provide food as well as defense. The .22 rim fire is THE choice because it also has stealth qualities. A subsonic .22LR will put meat on the table without alerting the bad guys. A 10-22 loaded with 30 rounds of the Aquila supers has the capability to quiet several bad guys if push comes to shove. Shoot a rabbit with your Garand or your AR... not much left to eat plus everybody within a mile circle knows you are there. Remember, just ONE firearm, make mine a worked over 10-22.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #23

I personally think a shotgun is the best choice. You have a variety of loads to kill certain things, bird and varmint shot, buck shot, slugs. Its all purpose if you are good with it.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:52 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I could only have one rifle in a survival situation, I'd have to go with the Savage 24F Predator Over/Under Combination Gun. Chambered for .223 and 20 gauge.

Last edited by Defender; 02-17-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #25
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

The kind of survival situation would determine what firearm is most appropriate. Are you defending your stockpile of food from others? Or are you depending on your firearm to get you food? A shotgun might be a good choice for both scenarios, but it still depends on the specific situation.

Defender, do you have a 24F? The Savage site says the .223 twist is 1 in 14, which is pretty long for a Remington .223. Any idea how accurate it is? It looks like a pretty interesting design.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:45 AM   #26

I would have to agree with red, a worked up 10-22 is my choice if i only had one gun to choose from.I have a 22mag that I personally love to shoot,and is the most accurate long gun i have out to 125yds. it be a hard choice, but it would be one or the other. love those rimfires.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:11 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
The kind of survival situation would determine what firearm is most appropriate. Are you defending your stockpile of food from others? Or are you depending on your firearm to get you food? A shotgun might be a good choice for both scenarios, but it still depends on the specific situation.
I was figuring in both factors, self-defense and hunting. Since SHTF situations are highly unpredictable, I think it's wise to have a weapon that covers both bases.

Since the OP specified survival RIFLES in the thread title, I named a weapon that fires rifle rounds, as well as the added benefit of shotgun shells.

Quote:
Defender, do you have a 24F? The Savage site says the .223 twist is 1 in 14, which is pretty long for a Remington .223. Any idea how accurate it is? It looks like a pretty interesting design.
To be honest, I've never owned one. However, I have fired a few of them over the years. Also, I've worked the gun show circuit in a two state area since the 1980's, and talked to a number of dealers and owners of the weapon.

I have yet to hear anybody condemn it. Virtually everybody I've talked to gives it a thumbs up. From everything I've gathered, it's a quality weapon for a reasonable price. I believe the MSRP is somewhere around 650, which means you could pick it up for a good bit less at a gun shop or show.

As far as accuracy, it's plenty good enough to hunt various varmints with, which is what it was basically designed for. It's not going to replace anybody's sniper rifle, but it wasn't meant to be a sniper rifle. It serves the purpose it was designed for quite well.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've decided to change my vote to a Mk. 19.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #29

All of you are set on what you fancy but not one you will survive the onset without the most important thing of all, and that is TP

If you can't get behind our Troops
Feel free to get in FRONT OF THEM.

The idea of an automatic weapon is to set up a wall of fire accuracy is not the objective.
http://www.3rdhowitzerbattery11-acr.com/

Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 AM   #30

My 10-22 and parts for a rebuild and plenty of ammo and then some of that TP cause I'll have room to carry it all.