BEST survival rifle - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > BEST survival rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 111 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default My 2 cents.

Survival guns were ment to be broken down to stuff in a aircraft or in a survival bag (aboard ship?) they were ment to be fill the need in a temporary survival situation the problem was they wernt all that great a hunting arm, I had two different ones AR-7 and a M-6 survival gun in 410/.22H (bowed from a sno-go crash) i had used them as primary hunting guns because thats what they were ment to do and they dident measure up.
In the end you will be hunting to sustain yourself and a hunting arm is what performs best.
In a survival situation not much will be going your way, Handycapping your self intenionly with a inferiour firearm?
Instead you should be getting the best you can afford its paramount to your survival isant it?

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 03-04-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #92

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex in OTZ View Post
Survival guns were ment to be broken down to stuff in a aircraft or in a survival bag (aboard ship?) they were ment to be fill the need in a temporary survival situation the problem was they wernt all that great a hunting arm, I had two different ones AR-7 and a M-6 survival gun in 410/.22H (bowed from a sno-go crash) i had used them as primary hunting guns because thats what they were ment to do and they dident measure up.
In the end you will be hunting to sustain yourself and a hunting arm is what performs best.
In a survival situation not much will be going your way, Handycapping your self intenionly with a inferiour firearm?
Instead you should be getting the best you can afford its paramount to your survival isant it?
Cant agree more with your comment on cheap firearms for defense and survival. It always amazes me that the only reqirements is it has to be cheap and it has to be purchased at Wallmart. As stated I also have had poor to useless results from the AR-7. If you must survive you want only the best period, nothing else will do. If a 22 rifle is wanted nothing better in the takedown semi autos is better than a Browning 22 auto.All steel and no plastic or recycled milkjug construction. There are other takedown quality 22's out there as well ( marlin 39, winchester 06, 90, 61, 62, and 63 models remington models 12, 121, 24, 241's). These were made to last multiple lifetimes.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #93

Liked 111 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The taurus copy of Winchesters 1903 is right up there as one slick takedown semi auto .22
All them Taurus .22 rifles Ive seen have machined steel receivers only plastic on them is the butt plate's!!
My 73C-SS is awesome! lucky i grabbed one last fall when they were offerd for less than $270 FOB NorthWest Alaska. today that very same model on the dealers rack is in excess of $315!

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 03-05-2009 at 02:09 AM.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:12 AM   #94

Default best survival rifle

in my opinion, i would probably take an fn-fal, ak-47, or maybe a polish tantal. the only problem with the tantal is that the ammo is becoming scarce. i guess that the 22 mag. would probably be your best bet for survival hunting, though.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:15 AM   #95
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalfan View Post
in my opinion, i would probably take an fn-fal, ak-47, or maybe a polish tantal. the only problem with the tantal is that the ammo is becoming scarce. i guess that the 22 mag. would probably be your best bet for survival hunting, though.
Wasn't the Tantal designed to be fired through the screen doors on their submarines?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:36 AM   #96

i am not sure.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:48 AM   #97
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Seriously? Screen doors on their submarines. Think about it for a minute.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 03-13-2009, 03:15 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
Horsefeathers!! MattG and I have both humped a 23 pound weapon and thousands of rounds of ammo out of a high performance aircraft in flight. I would leave clothes behind to make space and weight for ammo. I told a UH-60 pilot I weighed 430 pounds (instead of my real 180). Most of that was ammo I was loading for my door gun. Belt fed weapons are game changers in certain situations, period.

Depending on the survival issue, preconceived threats, and many other issues, I want a 12ga. End of the world my $70 Kmart NEF would be the business. If things are good enough get ammo, I want to send them in 3 to 6 round bursts.
Let me take a guess ''THE PIG'' 23 Pound's of pure excitement !!!!!!!! carried one for 6 year's.....in some of the worst S***holes on the planet

Old 03-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I'm sure that most people will disagree with me but I feel that a .22 magnum makes the ideal(actually there are NO ideal all purpose everything rifles)survival rifle. Before yall get the noose or cross out let me explain. I hunt edible small game with a .22 mag and solid fmj bullets. I've discovered that a .22 mag fmj bullet leaves exactly wound channel as a .22lr with hollow point but with more penetration and range. For close range varmits,(up to 150 yards) the .22 mag with hollow pointed bullets do a dandy job. I've even shot deer (crop protection and culling) with the .22 mag and it drops them like a rock with head shot. The .22 mag has snake shot that is lethal on snakes within 9-12 feet also.
You can carry enough .22 mag ammo to feel guilty,most firearms chambered in this cartridge are reasonably accurate,and ammo is reasonably priced. I've said my reasons that I think what makes a good survival gun,let's hear yall's.
i would have to agree. Even a .22 LR can be very deadly. Its mainly all about the shooter, not always the round/gun......................

Old 03-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #100
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill-Zone View Post
Let me take a guess ''THE PIG'' 23 Pound's of pure excitement !!!!!!!! carried one for 6 year's.....in some of the worst S***holes on the planet
But, holy crap, when you hit the on button on that puppy, it's one of the best feelings on the face of the earth.

When you've got 3 or 4 of them, on line, "talking", you know, good and well, that there is nothing in the world that is a threat, short of enemy CAS.

Roger Waters