Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > BEST survival rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default BEST survival rifle

I'm sure that most people will disagree with me but I feel that a .22 magnum makes the ideal(actually there are NO ideal all purpose everything rifles)survival rifle. Before yall get the noose or cross out let me explain. I hunt edible small game with a .22 mag and solid fmj bullets. I've discovered that a .22 mag fmj bullet leaves exactly wound channel as a .22lr with hollow point but with more penetration and range. For close range varmits,(up to 150 yards) the .22 mag with hollow pointed bullets do a dandy job. I've even shot deer (crop protection and culling) with the .22 mag and it drops them like a rock with head shot. The .22 mag has snake shot that is lethal on snakes within 9-12 feet also.
You can carry enough .22 mag ammo to feel guilty,most firearms chambered in this cartridge are reasonably accurate,and ammo is reasonably priced. I've said my reasons that I think what makes a good survival gun,let's hear yall's.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Although I will agree with you overall, I think your deer are small... I certainly would not call the .22 Mag rounds to be inexpensive, they are not too bad. Yep, a pretty decent round. I have switched in recent years from that to the .17HMR, and for what I use it for, I like it better. Not the best survival round though.

For a survival gun, I would prefer a H&R Handi Rifle in .22 Hornet. A little more power, and I can reload it to what I want it to do. They are great simple rifles. Even one in .223 and some custom loads that are on the light side would do pretty good as well.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 10-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #3

Have you checked out the Henry U.S. Survival rifle? It is small, compact and will fit in a backpack.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaTactical View Post
Have you checked out the Henry U.S. Survival rifle? It is small, compact and will fit in a backpack.
I bought one recently. So far, so good. You can put about 100 rounds through it before it starts jamming up pretty good, so you'll have to keep it very clean. After a cleaning, it's fine again.

If you want a really compact rifle, this is a good choice. But I'd sure rather have my AR with me than this thing in most situations. Still, anything is better than nothing.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:33 AM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Survival rifle

Ideally,what I'm talking about is a take down version rifle whereas you will enjoy better accuracy than if from handgun. The ar-7s I've witnessed over the years ain't reliable. I'm basically referring to winchester 9422m,brno 611, among other top quality rifles. Sure they cost and weigh more,but if MY life depends on it-I'm getting the best I can.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:11 PM   #6

Default Survival Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I'm sure that most people will disagree with me but I feel that a .22 magnum makes the ideal(actually there are NO ideal all purpose everything rifles)survival rifle. Before yall get the noose or cross out let me explain. I hunt edible small game with a .22 mag and solid fmj bullets. I've discovered that a .22 mag fmj bullet leaves exactly wound channel as a .22lr with hollow point but with more penetration and range. For close range varmits,(up to 150 yards) the .22 mag with hollow pointed bullets do a dandy job. I've even shot deer (crop protection and culling) with the .22 mag and it drops them like a rock with head shot. The .22 mag has snake shot that is lethal on snakes within 9-12 feet also.
You can carry enough .22 mag ammo to feel guilty,most firearms chambered in this cartridge are reasonably accurate,and ammo is reasonably priced. I've said my reasons that I think what makes a good survival gun,let's hear yall's.
Stalking Bear; I think your Dead on, In my opinion the 22 Mag is one of the finest hunting rounds out there, as you said you can carry a boat load of ammo, and are more than fairly priced, compared to other centerfire rounds, there is no need to look for spent brass, the range is more than adequit, there is barly any recoile to deal with, the report is quite quiet, and in a quality rifle is deadly accurate, as you stated there is no one good survival gun as you are more than likly to encounter many differant sineros for diferant applications so to fill the gap something for longrange and a shotgun would be a must, but if I had to pick one and start walking in any one direction it would be the 22MAG HANDS DOWN!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 10-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If I were in a dire situation, I'd want something heavy like an RPK, M60, or M240B. I've humped ammo before and I'm not afraid of doing it again. A burst from a belt fed machine gun will take down anything, short of a heavily armored vehicle.

For game, in a survival situation, blood shot meat isn't going to be an issue. The larger round and high ammo capacity will allow to take a lot of meat in a short period of time. If you were to rake a herd of large game with a burst, you'd have enough meat to feed a small group of people for a month or so. This would free up everyone in the group to concentrate on other important things like shelter and water.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:45 AM   #8

One up to that!

The origin of civilizations were the result of a constant food source, giving more time to do things like manufacture guns, and make a government to make them illegal.

Can't say much on the topic, however.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:44 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am surprised that no one has gotten the hangman's noose! (the topic is always an opionated one for sure). Good mental exercise though.
Depends on what kind of "survival" we are talking I guess. My daily survival gun is a Kimber Pro Carry 1911. If it was a matter of surviving in the woods and trying to eat, think I would opt for my 870 (I know you asked specifically about a rifle, but I think this is the answer to the question...my apologies if I stray) . Slug to bird to buck, about as versatile as one can get in a single package. Somewhere in between the daily survival and the live off the land spectrum is the survival of the 2 legged threat (aka Katrina). Long gun with high mag capacity and common ammo. 2 choices here, 223 or 308. Neither are cheap anymore as we all know
IMHO

regards

Old 11-22-2007, 02:50 PM   #10

Default more

I have an New England arms break open in 410-45 Colt long. Just remove the choke. Found it at a garage sale in the box for $75. No rear sight though as it realy is a shotgun. Stores extra rounds in the stock.
Bob