Best SHTF Pistol? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Best SHTF Pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
please don't go there as suggested! next he'll cloud the issue with all his skills and then start posting all his videos of him shooting and then bring a bunch of useless knowledge that further clouds things and confuses everyone, and we still never get a clear and direct answer.
"Useless knowledge" like here? Another Dead Bushnell

There is a lot of evidence of trolls there too.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #82
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21193 Times on 12039 Posts
Likes Given: 52911

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
"Useless knowledge" like here? Another Dead Bushnell

There is a lot of evidence of trolls there too.
i knew you wouldn't disappoint us Kid!
and you weren't the troll i was refering to!
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 05-04-2013, 04:00 AM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1044 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 434

S&W M&P 9 or Glock 17

- You don't need a hand cannon. The only "hunting" you'll be doing after a disaster is hunting other people with handguns who are trying to hunt you to take what you have. Can someone please pull up the news story about the man found hunting after a hurricane to feed his family? I can't seem to find any of those.

- It doesn't matter how common or uncommon your ammunition of choice is, assume that you only have and will use what you purchased before the disaster and what you can easily carry with you if your vehicle breaks down or you have to leave your home on short notice.

- All the internet handgun snipers out there are going to need as many rounds as they can carry when they start missing in an actual gunfight were people are shooting back at them.

- No matter the caliber of handgun you use, if you don't make solid hits then you can expect poor results. Bigger is better sounds great until you start having to carry it with you.

- Having to reload your handgun in a gunfight would mean having a really bad day, but having to slowly reload your handgun in a gunfight would be tantamount to suicide. That's why we invented semi-autos. Revolvers are old technology. Speaking of old technology, you can kill someone with a baseball bat if you need to but why bother when you can accomplish the same thing with a pistol without breaking a sweat?

- There are no magic handguns out there, well maybe in some peoples' heads, but the Glock and M&P have been abused in just about every conceivable way and they tend to work more often than not and don't require much in the way of operator maintenance.

- Invest in a quality tactical light like a SureFire X300 and a set of tritium sights. If you have cash to burn, you can purchase a red dot and a laser as additional targeting aids.

- Invest in a quality plastic holster. Leather, like revolvers, was great technology for its time. That time has now passed.

- Invest in some quality training so that if the survival fantasy du jour comes to pass you have some chance of escaping the incident with your life.

All those criteria pretty much add up to is a simple, modern 9MM semi-automatic pistol with 1 or perhaps 2 spare magazines, a weapon light, and a good holster. Strangely that seems a lot like an ordinary concealed carry weapon, SHTF survival and zombie apocalypse be damned.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #84

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There is a reason police recruits were required to be armed with revolvers that were of .357 magnum caliber. (A.) They were extremely reliable and (B.) they were easy to shoot. Police recruits start off kind of rough and need to train hard to become accomplished shots. The revolver worked well for such novice shooters and also let the recruit use either .357 magnum ammo or .38 special ammo when desired. So a good Smith and Wesson revolver or a sturdy Ruger revolver with a 6 inch barrel became every rookie's dream pistol to carry and rely upon in time of need.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:08 AM   #85

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

some 1911 smiths will guarantee a 5 shot, 2" group at 50 yds. that translates to 5 shots into a bit over 1" at 30 yds. so it's feasible that now and then, 3 shots might group into 3/4". I've seen the occasional cloverleaf at 50 yds. all top match shooters have, on occasion.

If shtf, everyone still alive after a week or so will be carrying a longarm of some type. If all you have is a handgun, you will have no choice but to use it to ambush somebody and take a longarm, then use that to get a real fighting rifle.

Under such conditions, the pistol will have almost no role at all. It is so inferior to the longarms, beyond about 5 yds, that it's just a joke. Make that 5 ft, if the enemy is using cover properly. Yes, I, too can stand there, taking all day and with ear protection, hit 10" gongs at 100 yds, with a match 1911. but that aint what you can do with someone shooting at you! So, if shtf, I will just go with my EDC, a Keltec PF9, because the AR carbine will be either in my hand or on the assault sling.

The pistol is for use from your sleeping bag, while crawling a tunnel, rappelling or climbing a ladder (say, in a city's water tunnels) or climbing a tree, confined inside of a vehicle, while riding a motorcycle, steering a boat, something bouncing too much for a rifle's accuracy to be of any real use. I won't bother with more ammo for it than my EDC, either. 2 full mags. A big heavy clunk of a handgun is pointless when others all have longarms. I'll put that extra weight into another canteen of water, or another magful of ammo for the rifle, or another 200 rds of .22lr for the conversion unit for the AR.

Last edited by ttsl; 05-31-2013 at 04:10 AM.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:25 AM   #86

Shoobee's Back!

Old 05-31-2013, 04:33 AM   #87
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsl View Post
some 1911 smiths will guarantee a 5 shot, 2" group at 50 yds. that translates to 5 shots into a bit over 1" at 30 yds. so it's feasible that now and then, 3 shots might group into 3/4". I've seen the occasional cloverleaf at 50 yds. all top match shooters have, on occasion.

If shtf, everyone still alive after a week or so will be carrying a longarm of some type. If all you have is a handgun, you will have no choice but to use it to ambush somebody and take a longarm, then use that to get a real fighting rifle.

Under such conditions, the pistol will have almost no role at all. It is so inferior to the longarms, beyond about 5 yds, that it's just a joke. Make that 5 ft, if the enemy is using cover properly. Yes, I, too can stand there, taking all day and with ear protection, hit 10" gongs at 100 yds, with a match 1911. but that aint what you can do with someone shooting at you! So, if shtf, I will just go with my EDC, a Keltec PF9, because the AR carbine will be either in my hand or on the assault sling.

The pistol is for use from your sleeping bag, while crawling a tunnel, rappelling or climbing a ladder (say, in a city's water tunnels) or climbing a tree, confined inside of a vehicle, while riding a motorcycle, steering a boat, something bouncing too much for a rifle's accuracy to be of any real use. I won't bother with more ammo for it than my EDC, either. 2 full mags. A big heavy clunk of a handgun is pointless when others all have longarms. I'll put that extra weight into another canteen of water, or another magful of ammo for the rifle, or another 200 rds of .22lr for the conversion unit for the AR.
You DO realize that your not taking human reaction time into account, don't you? At close distances like that, a rifle is not a great choice. It takes longer to aim a rifle than it does a handgun, and a rifle is much clumsier in close quarters distances.
A rifle is best suited for longer distances. A hand gun is best suited for shorter distances.
In reality, if I'm in a true SHTF, TEOFWAWKI situation, I'm going to be carrying a rifle and a handgun. BOTH are essential.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:35 AM   #88

Quote:
Shoobee's Back!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:44 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
what? you don't believe in alternate personalities? jeez!

Old 05-31-2013, 04:57 AM   #90

Quote:
what? you don't believe in alternate personalities? jeez!
Nope, just fearful that it could ever return.

I don't think he is another Shoobee though, just a little misled about a handgun's role in SHTF.