Best SHTF Pistol? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Best SHTF Pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Yeah, the Holy Grail of survivalists at really high altitudes. If handled a little carefully they are reliable. Their real drawback is they can only be carried in saddle-holsters...
...on unicorns!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #52

Liked 1142 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

The question here is "What is the best SHTF" handgun. I take this to mean not the best COMBAT handgun (which, as we all should know, is the 1911), but what is the best handgun for overall survival. My considerations would be:

1. Is it reliable and able to withstand tough conditions and hard use?

2. Is ammo readily available?

3. It is versatile -- can be used for both hunting and self defense?

When I look at these questions, I come up with two choices: a .357 magnum revolver (simple, rugged, can shoot the widest variety of ammo -- from light target .38 to heavy, Buffalo Bore type hunting rounds); accurate at longer distance; and simple to operate. Okay, GI Joes, it ain't sexy, but it makes sense.

My other choice would be a good .22 revolver for most of the same reason listed above, but with the added benefit of being able to carry a ****load of ammo. 1000 rounds of .22 is do-able to carry around. I'm not so sure about 1000 rounds of centerfire ammo.

The issue as I see it are what will best help keep me alive, not what can I kill the most people with.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:00 AM   #53

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Then the 9-shot .22 Mag, 6-1/2" barreled, Taurus* may be for you! Or one of the other more common 8-shots...

By the way, a .22 Mag from a 6" pistol is more powerful than a .22 LR from a rifle.

*Taurus revolvers bite it these days!

taurus-941-22-mag-9-shot.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 03-13-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #54

Liked 1142 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Then the 9-shot .22 Mag, 6-1/2" barreled, Taurus* may be for you! Or one of the other more common 8-shots...

By the way, a .22 Mag from a 6" pistol is more powerful than a .22 LR from a rifle.

*Taurus revolvers bite it these days!
I have a three-screw Super Single Six Convertible with both cylinders, and, now that my fiancee's father has passed away, I'm trying to get her mother to sell me the Smith and Wesson Model 48 (.22 mag) with the aprox. 8 1/2" barrel.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3409 Times on 1917 Posts
Likes Given: 19202

After reading all the replies , I'm goona think small..! A nice little semi , with pistol grips 22 rifle with scope. I will scale it down as much is possible and think ,
humbly "small game". Most things are eatable so after the "Deforestation" of all large game . I'll still have easy pickens with the smallish creatures.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 517

It kind of depends on what SHTF situation you are talking about. If it is just somthing that will only last a month or so like a natural disaster, then anything as long as it is reliable.

But if you are talking about a mad max type scenerio where you will have what you have and make due with what you can find I have 3 choices.

1. 1911 This is my first choice, because it has a great history of relability and uses a very good round .45 also the 1911 is one of the most popular guns out there and being so you will find plenty if parts and magazines.

2. My second choice would be a Beretta 92fs. This gun has proven it's relability for over twenty years being used all over the world by many different governemnts ans civillians. I holds a standard 15 round 9mm magazine. This gun also will be easy to find replacment parts for since many military and law enforment agencies use this firearm. Also the 9mm round is so common you would be able to find it much easier than many other rounds, as so many firearms take the 9mm.

3. My third choice would be the glock 17. I am not a glock fan, but it fits the same criteria as my top two picks. The 17 is widely used by law enforcment aganices, so parts and magazines will be easier to find. The gun has proven to reliable. Again it ueses the 9mm round which will be easy to find.

I think in a SHTF type scenerio you should have firearms that you can find parts and ammunition for. Also the pistol should be reliable without extensive care.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #57

Liked 795 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post
In terms of versatility, it would be the Medusa revolver, provided it doesn't break.
HEY!

In its defense... The bullet that broke it woulda blown up any other gun....

Last edited by Trez; 03-15-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

In Germany, handgun designed submachine guns are called Maschinenpistole. So, technically they are pistols. So, in my opinion, a good SHTF pistol would be an uzi or shortened mp5.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #59

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez

HEY!

In its defense... The bullet that broke it woulda blown up any other gun....
I'm not sayin its fragile, hell its quite the opposite.
I mean the little "fingers" in the cylinder. If you don't know how to properly extract some cartridges (with a pencil), you can break the irreplaceable fingers.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
In Germany, handgun designed submachine guns are called Maschinenpistole. So, technically they are pistols. So, in my opinion, a good SHTF pistol would be an uzi or shortened mp5.
Ok for real,
An Hk USP, please refer to my other posts to see why.