Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Best SHTF Pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Well am a little late to the thread but here is my analysis based on what I consider likely SHTF requirements:

1) Firearms should be extremely solid and as close to maintenance free as possible

2) As few small parts as possible

3) Fire a common caliber that can reliably take down game and a man but not recoil so bad as to make practice difficult.

4) The Ammo should be cheap enough to stack deep pre SHTF.

5) Must be Accurate: Since ammo will be at a premium in SHTF it must be accurate so you don't waste precious ammo!
Expect Ammo to be even more at a premium than now!

One handgun system meets all these requirements , a 357 magnum revolver.

It meets or exceeds all those requirements with the bonus that you can also shoot cheaper 38 spc AND a revolver is MUCH more tolerant to poorly done reloads such as may be available in a TEOTWAWKI.

Its more tolerant to overpressure (harder to break, nearly just one chunk of steel) and more tolerant of underpressure as well, as it is your finger and not the charge, chambering the next round.

A revolver will generally be more accurate as well, this due to fixed non moving barrel, no moving slide, more weight up front.

So if you are up against a man with a 9mm or similair autoloader and all other things are equal (skill, ammo quality, price class of gun) he will be in your range before you are in his and the fight is yours.

Huge magazine capacities while nice, will not be nearly as useful as the other requirements listed above.
This is because as history has shown a real SHTF is not likely going to involve a lot of James Bond-esque fights against overwhelming odds of Dr No's henchmen.

SHTF will dominated by resources shortages and that very much includes ammo.
The ability of a.357 Mag revolver to shoot "off" and low quality loads, and anextra caliber (38 spc) and be economical in their use due to better inherent accuracy is a winner.

Like everybody else, I agree a autoloader like a 1911 or a SIG is cooler and sexier than any revolver.

But a rational examination of likely SHTF requirements overwhelmingly points to a .357 Mag Revolver.
I like the famously indestructible GP100's (built on a 41 Mag thickness frame they often shoot HOT loads that have nearly the energy of a 44 Mag with no ill effect)

Also the modern 4 inch barrel on a GP 100 or S&W 686 is as accurate as the a 6 inch barrels on the previous generation of 60's revolvers.
In other words, yes, you can hunt with the handy 4 inch barrel.

Also unlike some Smith and Colt revolvers the little "hand" (forgot the proper nomenclature) that moves the cylinder is not a wear item. As a result they dont need regular retiming.

The common "counter" argument : "But, but, the military and police use only autoloaders so they must be "better" !" means nothing as they are in a completely different requirements set (pre-SHTF + generous logistics support)

Here are some pics

100_1588.jpg   100_1587.jpg   100_1586.jpg   100_1599.jpg  

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 07-27-2013 at 12:33 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #192
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2701 Times on 1854 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez
Well am a little late to the thread but here is my analysis based on what I consider likely SHTF requirements:

1) Firearms should be extremely solid and as close to maintenance free as possible

2) As few small parts as possible

3) Fire a common caliber that can reliably take down game and a man but not recoil so bad as to make practice difficult.

4) The Ammo should be cheap enough to stack deep pre SHTF.

5) Must be Accurate: Since ammo will be at a premium in SHTF it must be accurate so you don't waste precious ammo!
Expect Ammo to be even more at a premium than now!

One handgun system meets all these requirements , a 357 magnum revolver.

It meets or exceeds all those requirements with the bonus that you can also shoot cheaper 38 spc AND a revolver is MUCH more tolerant to poorly done reloads such as may be available in a TEOTWAWKI.

Its more tolerant to overpressure (harder to break, nearly just one chunk of steel) and more tolerant of underpressure as well, as it is your finger and not the charge, chambering the next round.

A revolver will generally be more accurate as well, this due to fixed non moving barrel, no moving slide, more weight up front.

So if you are up against a man with a 9mm or similair autoloader and all other things are equal (skill, ammo quality, price class of gun) he will be in your range before you are in his and the fight is yours.

Huge magazine capacities while nice, will not be nearly as useful as the other requirements listed above.
This is because as history has shown a real SHTF is not likely going to involve a lot of James Bond-esque fights against overwhelming odds of Dr No's henchmen.

SHTF will dominated by resources shortages and that very much includes ammo.
The ability of a.357 Mag revolver to shoot "off" and low quality loads, and anextra caliber (38 spc) and be economical in their use due to better inherent accuracy is a winner.

Like everybody else, I agree a autoloader like a 1911 or a SIG is cooler and sexier than any revolver.

But a rational examination of likely SHTF requirements overwhelmingly points to a .357 Mag Revolver.
I like the famously indestructible GP100's (built on a 41 Mag thickness frame they often shoot HOT loads that have nearly the energy of a 44 Mag with no ill effect)

Also the modern 4 inch barrel on a GP 100 or S&W 686 is as accurate as the a 6 inch barrels on the previous generation of 60's revolvers.
In other words, yes, you can hunt with the handy 4 inch barrel.

Also unlike some Smith and Colt revolvers the little "hand" (forgot the proper nomenclature) that moves the cylinder is not a wear item. As a result they dont need regular retiming.

The common "counter" argument : "But, but, the military and police use only autoloaders so they must be "better" !" means nothing as they are in a completely different requirements set (pre-SHTF + generous logistics support)

Here are some pics
Bluez: just glad you didn't cook your ammo on the stove there!
I too, Love the old stuff, Esp. our Rugers & Colts. But while we will have a .357 or 3 around,..I'll be packing 2 or 3 .9's..including either an AR frame and/or a MAC-11 or MPA...
Hope to get a SEMI-AUTO M-11 soon in fact, as a dealer about 90 Mins from me has a huge stock....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 07-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #193

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

image-3285159868.jpg
Id like either a glock or this ak pistol

Old 07-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #194
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 624 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357
Id like either a glock or this ak pistol
The ak doesn't count, it may be an ak pistol but it is still a rifle.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 07-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #195

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

image-1051358644.jpg

It certainly does count as a pistol because it has no buttstock or fore grip, if it was a rifle it would be illegal to have a short barreled rifle unless you paid the proper tax stamps and such. look at these here pistols you can use an arm brace to stabalize the pistol id want an ar pistol for shtf you can use some of the same parts as the rifle version so you can easily repair it or find parts for it.

image-3118505163.jpg

i win.
image-1327361273.jpg   image-565904179.jpg  

Old 07-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #196

Liked 57 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Whatever dude. I'm done with you. You basically just questioned mine and every other Marine's integrity. I don't take kindly to that.
I don't either. Got your back JW

Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #197
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedUSMC View Post

I don't either. Got your back JW
Semper Fi

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #198