Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Best SHTF Pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1073 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
I agree with you on the semi-auto pistol.

I also agree that a 357 revolver is a close choice as well.

As to which one I would ditch if I had two of them at the same time, I would ditch the 357 and keep the semi-auto.

Regarding hunting, a 44 rem mag is awfully lite compared with the other heavy hunting guns, such as 454 casull or 45-70 govt. So I would not want to drop down even more to a 357 for hunting. Having said that, the 357 and the 44 rem mag are fairly similar in all respects except for a slightly different diameter.

The pistol and the revolver (handguns as they are lately often called) have always been self defense weapons, similar to a sword in ancient times.

Whereas a rifle or shotgun (long guns as they are lately often called) have always been offensive or hunting weapons, similar to a spear or lance in ancient times.

For combat, therefore, your rifle is your primary tool, and your handgun is your backup. That's how they serve soldiers and marines.

For hunting dangerous game, such as big bears, lions, or boars, they serve in the same capacity and relationship. One of the super heavy revolvers, like the 45-70 gov, or the 454 casull, or the 44 rem mag, would be your backup, and a 300 or a 338 or a 375 or a 458 etc would be your primary rifle.

For defense against people, it seems like a semi-auto pistol is your best and quickest bet. And the rifle or shotgun would be your natural "backup" in this case. Note that this is how LEOs are organized and equiped. They carry a shotgun and/or combat rifle with them in their vehicles, but they wear a pistol (or revolve in some places, still) as their primary defense. The same thing applies to civilians.

I keep my 45ACP loaded and chambered with the hammer down (condition 2) at all times. My revolver is in my gunsafe unloaded waiting for hunting and scouting season (not far away now -- mid July in Calif). My bolt action scoped rifle is also in my gunsafe unloaded waiting for opening day. My shotgun is in my gunsafe unloaded but with shells attached to it in case I do need to load it.

I have done neighborhood watch for years and walked foot patrols in the military and on many occasions had my 45ACP with me, loaded & chambered in condition 2 in open carry mode. Late at night after midnight if you are going outside to check on odd metallic sounds around your home, I think open loaded carry is the fastest way to get to your weapon, short of condition #0.

But I have only needed to load the shotgun once, while waiting for the LEOs to arrive due to my 911 call. It was after midnight and there were half a dozen perps in our parking lot who had just disgorged out of a minivan, and they were working over the cars in the parking lot.
I don't have to worry about large game so anything past a .357 isn't really needed. I would primarily be shooting small and medium size game with deer and wild hogs being the biggest thing I would see. Anything that will put down medium game would also work for defense if need be. And the smaller the caliber the better because I could carry more ammo. A .22 would be great but I just don't think it would be enough for medium size game. A .22 could potentially work in a rifle for medium size game with head shots, but that would be tough to do with a pistol. So I'm back to thinking a .357 would be the way to go, and then use .38's on small game (if it can shoot them accurately enough) and .357 on medium game.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #12

Liked 127 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I don't have to worry about large game so anything past a .357 isn't really needed. I would primarily be shooting small and medium size game with deer and wild hogs being the biggest thing I would see. Anything that will put down medium game would also work for defense if need be. And the smaller the caliber the better because I could carry more ammo. A .22 would be great but I just don't think it would be enough for medium size game. A .22 could potentially work in a rifle for medium size game with head shots, but that would be tough to do with a pistol. So I'm back to thinking a .357 would be the way to go, and then use .38's on small game (if it can shoot them accurately enough) and .357 on medium game.
Then you are correct, the 357 is probably your best bet.

A semi-auto 10mm might work as well. Both of these rounds are similar in power.

And the 10mm gives you more capacity, 10 vs 6.

But you need to try them both and see which feels better.

Surely the 357 with a longer barrel will be more accurate, and that will make it better for hunting.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #13

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default High Cap .357 Revolver

One gun? Any one of these 2 lb seven or eight shot 5" S&W .357 revolvers. The 686 Plus would be my personal choice...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766340_-1_757767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_781530_-1_757767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765661_-1_757767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765757_-1_757767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
sw-686-plus.jpg   s-w-m-p-327-trr8-8-shot.jpg   s-w-m-p-r8-8-shot.jpg   s-w-686-talo-3-5-7-7-shot.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-19-2012 at 01:38 AM.
dango Likes This 
Old 05-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #14
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

TLuker
One advantage to a 357 mag is ammo availability and the ability to shoot 38 special.

Many of the powerful pistol calibers mentioned above: 10mm, 50ae, 357 Sig are not common or cheap. If your thinking of long term shtf you are more likely to find 38 special or 357mag.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #15

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

For a true SHTF scenario, I'd have to go with one of the extremes. Either a .22 revolver, like the type most pilots (Going off of what I've been told, and shown an older model) have in case they get downed. For a SHTF scenario where you only have a handgun, you're probably not going to be hunting big game. You can survive comfortably on rabbits/birds/squirrels, and a .22 is just fine for that. If it comes time to shoot at a man instead, I don't think many people want to stand and fight, so stopping power isn't much of a necessity. I'd be just as happy to squeeze of 5 accurately placed shots into somebody's center mass and run like hell. Or even 5 almost accurate shots near somebody would be enough for most people to decide to leave you alone.

On the other hand, a USP .45 would be nice. Big, accurate, designed with German efficiency. Certainly would get the job done. HK makes some pretty "tactical" guns, too, with noise suppression and whatnot, and all the attachments you could need. Blow a small hole through anything you aim at, and there's the psychological factor of a big gun with a loud bang.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

dango Likes This 
Old 05-19-2012, 02:07 AM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Regarding a handgun since mobility would be a major consideration in a SHTF situation. One would not want to be packing an arsenal around with him. I would go with a Glock, Springfield HD, Sig or other good semi auto for SHTF. All in either 9mm or 45 ACP. I also like the 40 Cal. But thinking of availability in the field! The reason for the 9mm at all is that military presently carries the 9mm Beretta M-9s which could also be a source of ammunition. The 45 ACP would obviously be one of my top choices.
As far as hunting I would not be doing it with a pistol at all other than maybe a 22 cal Suppressed for hunting small game like rabbits as well as the shotgun. For other hunting an AR Rifle and 22 pistol for stealth purposes!
So basically stating, I would have a pistol in 9mm or 45 ACP for protection and tactical applications, a shotgun and an AR. and a 22 suppressed semi-auto pistol stealth applications including hunting and situations where I need to not be detected.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

dango Likes This 
Old 05-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1073 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Regarding a handgun since mobility would be a major consideration in a SHTF situation. One would not want to be packing an arsenal around with him. I would go with a Glock, Springfield HD, Sig or other good semi auto for SHTF. All in either 9mm or 45 ACP. I also like the 40 Cal. But thinking of availability in the field! The reason for the 9mm at all is that military presently carries the 9mm Beretta M-9s which could also be a source of ammunition. The 45 ACP would obviously be one of my top choices.
As far as hunting I would not be doing it with a pistol at all other than maybe a 22 cal Suppressed for hunting small game like rabbits as well as the shotgun. For other hunting an AR Rifle and 22 pistol for stealth purposes!
So basically stating, I would have a pistol in 9mm or 45 ACP for protection and tactical applications, a shotgun and an AR. and a 22 suppressed semi-auto pistol stealth applications including hunting and situations where I need to not be detected.

I agree with every point you made if I had a pistol along with my rifle. My concern is the pistol as a backup for my rifle. If SHTF and my rifle were then to malfunction for whatever reason and became inoperable I would be SOL (assuming I was on foot and away from home). In that case the pistol would become my primary survival weapon. I would never plan on using a pistol for hunting rather than a rifle but I wouldn't have a choice if my rifle became inoperable.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what one pistol I would go with if I could only have one pistol and no rifle? I would never choose a pistol over a rifle for anything and I wouldn't plan on only having a pistol, but that is exactly what I would have if my rifle became in operable. With that being the case, I should be choosing a pistol as if it were the only weapon I would have?
Old 05-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #18

Liked 692 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 703

*Ahem* One word... Medusa...

dango Likes This 
Old 05-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #19

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez
*Ahem* One word... Medusa...
Hell yeah, i'd like to get my hands on one with a 6" barrel
Old 02-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Wrong

You are all wrong. The BEST shtf pistol is a reliable 9mm, preferably a Sig p226 or Beretta M9 that can hold a minimum of 15 rounds.

In a SHTF scenario, you need a weapon that sports a common universal ammo size and is easily found. You need it to be lethal and have a magazine capacity to hold many.

115 gr fmj ball ammo is my preference. It is cheap and you can carry more of it than you can .40 0r .45. No medical help in SHTF and so any hole will be potentially lethal. People bash the 115 gr fmg ball ammo but I will tell you this: Ball ammo has been killing people, and quite well, a lot longer than hollow point has. 9mm stays on target better for follow up shots.

In a SHTF scenario you will reasonably be protecting your ass from numerous threats, both civilian, law, and military. You will be protecting your ass until you lose the fight. A .45 may say you have a big dick but your gonna be carrying less of it on you, have fewer rounds in the mag, and it will be damn hard to find. You may be able to put someone down with one shot, but I will tell you this. If I put a 9mm round in someone in a SHTF scenario, they are gonna go away, and then they are gonna die from lack of medical attention.

The next best caliber is the .40 because you will be able to get the ammo from felled cops and such.

In a SHTF scenario, everyone is a potential enemy, but the ones wearing uniforms are absolutely your enemies. (Katrina - never forget)

Hoard Federal 115 gr 9mm fmj ball ammo from Walmart. It's the best SHTF ammo IMO.