Best SHTF Pistol? - Page 17
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Best SHTF Pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #161
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperSC View Post
A Glock would be your best bet in a SHTF situation. Most simply built, low maintenance, reliable, and rugged handgun on earth! The only thing it lacks compared to other handguns is 'elegance'.

LOL. Ya, but what if you run into some Kryptonite? Everybody knows that only Kryptonite can stop a Glock.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #162

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

image-3876639183.jpg

Pictures can sometimes speak louder than words.

Why can't I remove the shotgun picture? I tried. Sorry.
image-3549555814.jpg  
Old 07-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #163

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

You can guess what I would want....

Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #164

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

u gotta have a rifle, man. U gotta keep it on the assault sling. Pistols vs rifles dont hack it and have not been able to do so since the bad guys got AK's. Even if all I had in the way of a rifle was a Marlin Papoose .22, I would not bother with more pistol than a pocket 9 (I favor the CM9 Kahr) with just 2 mags of ammo. There just better not be much use for your gun at all, much less your pistol. Bulk and weight carry huge penalties when you are afoot. You end up trying to carry way too much, and turn an ankle or bung up a knee. then you are done.

You've got to carry at least a gallon of water all the time. That's 8 lbs and the means of carrying your gear is probably at least 5 lbs (backpack,harness, hydration bottle, etc). so a really fit man can (maybe) have another 40 lbs of gear, a woman maybe another 20 lbs of gear. Rough, wet, terrain, and needing to maintain vigilance, is much harder on your than just walking down flat, open road with that same gear load, with your head (ahem) where the sun is dim, just foot slogging along, trusting to logistics to have what you need, when and where you need it, the way our soldiers have done for about 100 years now.

Last edited by bildee; 07-24-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #165

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you want .357 I would say a smith 686 or ruger gp series. I don't agree with ditching the semi auto but my preference would be a sig sauer 226 or maybe 229. If you don't want to spend that much money I guess a glock is fine, try m&p as well, it's really all about what you are proficient with.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #166
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildee
u gotta have a rifle, man. U gotta keep it on the assault sling. Pistols vs rifles dont hack it and have not been able to do so since the bad guys got AK's. Even if all I had in the way of a rifle was a Marlin Papoose .22, I would not bother with more pistol than a pocket 9 (I favor the CM9 Kahr) with just 2 mags of ammo. There just better not be much use for your gun at all, much less your pistol. Bulk and weight carry huge penalties when you are afoot. You end up trying to carry way too much, and turn an ankle or bung up a knee. then you are done.

You've got to carry at least a gallon of water all the time. That's 8 lbs and the means of carrying your gear is probably at least 5 lbs (backpack,harness, hydration bottle, etc). so a really fit man can (maybe) have another 40 lbs of gear, a woman maybe another 20 lbs of gear. Rough, wet, terrain, and needing to maintain vigilance, is much harder on your than just walking down flat, open road with that same gear load, with your head (ahem) where the sun is dim, just foot slogging along, trusting to logistics to have what you need, when and where you need it, the way our soldiers have done for about 100 years now.
That's great but... The thread isn't about the merits of pistol vs rifle (I don't think anyone was trying to say a handgun is a more useful tool than a rifle - I could be wrong, haven't read thru the thread in awhile)... Or a lecture on carrying stuff around...

So I guess your CM9 is your SHTF pistol in a theoretical SHTF situation...? The backup gun that you'll be carrying in the off chance your rifle breaks, or you lose it, or someone steals it, is your CM9? Alright, fair enough.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #167
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Pistols vs rifles dont hack it and have not been able to do so since the bad guys got AK's.
Umm also rifles have been more powerful than sidearms since firearms were created. It has nothing to do with AKs and "bad guys."

Quote:
You're saying a "really fit man" can only shlug around 53lbs of gear and a woman 33lbs? Clearly you haven't spent time in the military. As Marines, we hump 15+ miles with 80-100lbs of gear, regardless of gender, in about the least hospitable terrain you can think of. And I'm talking about non-infantry. Grunts routinely march double that distance with comparable gear weights. We're fit but were certainly not the cream of the crop in terms of athletes or fitness.

I have enough faith in most civilians of reasonable physicality that they can easily walk around for a couple miles with easily more than 60lbs on their back if they have to. I'm not talking "really fit" either. You'd be surprised what the human body can do when pushed, even the most slovenly of specimens.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 07-24-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #168

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

i"ve spent more time backpacking in rough terrain/condions than you, obviously. Put 80 lbs on, in brush, hills, mud, and you'll get hurt, You'll also do or not do things (out of fatique) that will cost you dearly. I don't care if you're a Spetnaz commando, that is a fact. Stumbling along with your head up your butt, COUNTING on extraction, resupply, etc, by others is not what I am talking about.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #169
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
i"ve spent more time backpacking in rough terrain/condions than you, obviously. Put 80 lbs on, in brush, hills, mud, and you'll get hurt, You'll also do or not do things (out of fatique) that will cost you dearly. I don't care if you're a Spetnaz commando, that is a fact. Stumbling along with your head up your butt, COUNTING on extraction, resupply, etc, by others is not what I am talking about.
Haha. Alright brother. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you about how much I have hiked and with how much gear, especially since you making a claim like you've spent more time hiking than me (obviously) is impossible to quantify. We don't know each other so I'm not going to start arguing with you about whose epeen is bigger. I was simply pointing out inconsistencies with some of the things you said.

I agree weight reduction is important when walking around. My point was if people who are not professional athletes (meaning normal people) can walk for 30+ miles n the deserts of Iraq or the mountains of Afghanistan with 80-100 lbs of gear on their backs, there's no reason why normal people can't walk for just a few miles with the same amount of gear, if the situation called for it.

I'm not sure why the Spetznatz were brought up. Second out of place reference to something Ruskie related. I'm starting to think you're a Russian equivalent to a mall ninja.

Maybe coining a new phrase is necessary? Woods ninja? Woods Spetznatz? Yeah I like that one.

Whatever. I'm not gonna start arguing with you. You don't know my experience level and I don't know yours.

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #170
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
. Stumbling along with your head up your butt, COUNTING on extraction, resupply, etc, by others is not what I am talking about.
Ok so your point is in a SHTF situation you cannot count on resupply, right? Then I really don't understand the weight limit? Shouldn't you want to carry as much stuff as you need, as is possible, because you're counting on not getting help from anyone?

And just so there's no misconception out there: Marine infantrymen do not "count" on resupply or extraction. They fully expect to be outside of the wire for months at a time with limited to no help from HQ.

Matter of fact, that's exactly what happened in the initial push into Afghanistan and Iraq.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 07-24-2013 at 11:46 PM.
People Like This