Best SHTF Pistol? - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Best SHTF Pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 05:06 AM   #91
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Nope, just fearful that it could ever return.

I don't think he is another Shoobee though, just a little misled about a handgun's role in SHTF.
clearly misled in many matters!

Old 05-31-2013, 05:18 AM   #92

Liked 69 Times on 37 Posts

My survival gun

survival-gun.jpg  

Old 05-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #93

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk View Post
My survival gun
Identity, please...

Old 05-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #94

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

it's you who are a LOT misled about what guns can do, friend. The pistol is only faster than the rifle to about 5 yds, and only if the enemy is fully exposed. The short barreled carbine can be "wearing" a sound suppressor that makes the rifle much more likely to be hit with, due to the lack of flinching. That's not feasible with a powerful pistol. "Cans" for powerful pistols are so large that they make the gun a non-holster item.

Reaction time for the rifle and the pistol are the same. Reaction time is how long it takes your brain to change the signal from don't fire to fire. That doesn't change from gun to gun. :-) It has nothing to do with the time involved in GUNHANDLING. There is a lot more variance in man to man than in the diff in speed of hitting between rifle and pistol. For instance, I can react, go from low ready, rifle across my thighs, safety engaged, finger outside of the guard, to a chest hit at 25 yds in less than 1.0 seconds, on an electronic shooting timer. If I am shouldered, rifle at the down angle, I can raise it and hit the chest at 10 yds in .70 second. How fast can you react, raise your pistol and hit at 10 yds, hmm?

If the situation was such that I'd have my pistol in my hands, you can believe that if the distance is more than 5 yds, I'd instead pull up the carbine from the assault sling. :-) So, if you want to kid yourself for a week or so, after shtf, until somebody kills you, go ahead and consider the handgun the equal of a longarm. shtf will be all about cleansing the gene pool of those who shouldnt be breeding.

Last edited by ttsl; 05-31-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 PM   #95
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6574 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsl View Post
it's you who are a LOT misled about what guns can do, friend. The pistol is only faster than the rifle to about 5 yds, and only if the enemy is fully exposed. The short barreled carbine can be "wearing" a sound suppressor that makes the rifle much more likely to be hit with, due to the lack of flinching. That's not feasible with a powerful pistol. "Cans" for powerful pistols are so large that they make the gun a non-holster item.

Reaction time for the rifle and the pistol are the same. Reaction time is how long it takes your brain to change the signal from don't fire to fire. That doesn't change from gun to gun. :-) It has nothing to do with the time involved in GUNHANDLING. There is a lot more variance in man to man than in the diff in speed of hitting between rifle and pistol. For instance, I can react, go from low ready, rifle across my thighs, safety engaged, finger outside of the guard, to a chest hit at 25 yds in less than 1.0 seconds, on an electronic shooting timer. If I am shouldered, rifle at the down angle, I can raise it and hit the chest at 10 yds in .70 second. How fast can you react, raise your pistol and hit at 10 yds, hmm?

If the situation was such that I'd have my pistol in my hands, you can believe that if the distance is more than 5 yds, I'd instead pull up the carbine from the assault sling. :-) So, if you want to kid yourself for a week or so, after shtf, until somebody kills you, go ahead and consider the handgun the equal of a longarm. shtf will be all about cleansing the gene pool of those who shouldnt be breeding.
Actually, at 5 ft (as you said in your earlier post), a rifle is a horrible choice. Even a carbine is going to have the muzzle within arms length of the person your aiming at, which gives them the opportunity to grab the barrel, push it away from them, and use their pistol. In other words, your screwed.

at 5 yards, I'd still give the advantage to the handgun. I can be on target with a handgun at this distance MUCH faster than a rifle. If you add tight corners, or narrow halls to this equation, even a small rifle becomes unwieldy.

Using a can? Adds even more length to a rifle, and is not needed to stop flinching. Practice stops flinching.

Many consider reaction time the time between when the start of a threat, to the end of your reaction.

Up to about 10-15 yards, I can be on target and have a shot fired with a handgun faster than I could with a rifle. At distances much farther than that, I'd go with the rifle.

So, let me get this straight. If there is a threat 5 yards away, you would take the gun already in your hands, holster it, and then get your rifle? Yeah, that would work out for you in a life and death situation. I'm sure the bad guy would wait for you.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 05-31-2013 at 11:46 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #96
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Actually, at 5 ft (as you said in your earlier post), a rifle is a horrible choice. Even a carbine is going to have the muzzle within arms length of the person your aiming at, which gives them the opportunity to grab the barrel, push it away from them, and use their pistol. In other words, your screwed.

at 5 yards, I'd still give the advantage to the handgun. I can be on target with a handgun at this distance MUCH faster than a rifle. If you add tight corners, or narrow halls to this equation, even a small rifle becomes unwieldy.

Using a can? Adds even more length to a rifle, and is not needed to stop flinching. Practice stops flinching.

Many consider reaction time the time between when the start of a threat, to the end of your reaction.

Up to about 10-15 yards, I can be on target and have a shot fired with a handgun faster than I could with a rifle. At distances much farther than that, I'd go with the rifle.

So, let me get this straight. If there is a threat 5 yards away, you would take the gun already in your hands, holster it, and then get your rifle? Yeah, that would work out for you in a life and death situation. I'm sure the bad guy would wait for you.
well said Aaron! i couldn't agree more.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #97

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Identity, please...
+1

Remintgon Rolling Block pistol but that's where everything else is blurred. .22 with a rib!?

Original .50 military was a kick. Very common target pistol back in the day and (re)chambered in just about anything you can dream up. So?!

Old 06-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #98

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker
I want to start by saying I am not a pistol guy, but pistols do have their purposes. First and most important purpose, which I believe someone else here stated, is to allow you to get to your long gun. Second is to serve as a back up in case your primary weapon fails. So what are some opinions as to the best pistol(s) for those purposes?

At the moment I'm thinking the best pistol to fulfill the first purpose is a high capacity semi auto probably in 9mm or 45acp.

For the second purpose I'm thinking .357 revolver with a decent length barrel. A .38/.357 would be useful for hunting if absolutely necessary. I can't imagine a semi-auto ever being useful for hunting, and any gun that is going to serve as a backup for my rifle has to be useful for hunting.

So for the moment I'm thinking keep a semi auto in the truck just to make to sure I can get home. Keep a .357 ready to go with my rifle and BOB. If I'm ever on foot and have my .357 then I can ditch the semi-auto (I'm not carrying two pistols).

So what are some thoughts on pistols and SHTF?
I wouldn't say every semi auto isn't goo for hunting. I hear of a lot of fellows using the g20 for hunting and beat defense and say that they wouldn't use anything else.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:47 AM   #99

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Can't find the edit button lol... I meant good and bear.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #100
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 502

I'm not sure about everyone else, but if SHTF I'll take a carbine over a pistol any day of the week.

Anybody who wants to grab my carbine is welcome to try. They'll get punched in the mouth, but they can certainly try.

Grabbing at guns might work against people who have no hand-to-hand training, but it's not very smart. If you're going to get that close to someone with any type of firearm, be smart and use a knife.

Better yet, use better judgement and better tactics and steal them when everyone else is asleep. The superman complex wears off once everyone is tired, cold, and hungry.