Best SHTF gun pair. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Best SHTF gun pair.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

the best SHTF rifle is one you shoot well and have plenty of ammo for i have many

let no talents go unused

Old 07-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #12

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

080617n3857r003lg5.jpg   twin38s.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-10-2010, 04:00 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I would have to go with my Remington 870 Marine Magnum and my KimberCDP Procarry on my hip. I would be as comfortable and confident as the late John Holmes on a nude beach.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 07-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #14

Mine our a 20" iron sighted AR-15 and a 4" XD in 9mm. For me its a simple choice. My go to gear is set up for these two firearms. There are no optics to go inop on me. I can carry a decent amount of ammo for both. They might not be ideal hunting firearms but they will work for the animals in this area. Both are very easy to maintain and I spent quite a few years carrying and M16 so Im familiar with it.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Interesting and thought-provoking thread. I suppose if you are as proficient as Lucas McCain, you could survive quite well with one Winchester '92 in .44-40, but for me, it is difficult to narrow this down to two weapons. I think the original post was about 2 weapons, 1 ammo---a long gun and a hand gun. My first thought was one of survival against another armed predator, so availability of ammo and high capacity mags lead me to a semi-auto combo of 9mm guns. If two types of ammo are to be carried, I might go with either the 7.62 x 39mm or 5.45 x 39mm in an AK-style rifle and augment that with a high-capacity 9mm sidearm. But it would be highly useful to also have a 22 around for small game, and the versatility of an old fashioned scattergun is hard to beat as well.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #16

I was looking into arsenal AKs to they don't seem that expensive I was looking at one of these earlier
K-VAR Corporation :: Rifles & Shotguns :: SLR-106 Series – 5.56x45 Caliber Bulgarian Stamped Receiver AK-74 Variant Rifles :: SLR106-33 I don't have any experiernce with AKs But I like this one because it was chambered in .223. Looked at ARs too Still making up my mind so many choices.

Admiral Yamamoto: "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
- Dalai Lama

Old 07-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #17

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

For me, it would depend on which SHTF situation. And then I also don't want to go pie in the sky since I actually think S could HTF soon.

1) natural disaster, most people not hurt, but help ain't coming soon. Rule of Law will return sooner or later.

9mm handgun like Glock 19 with at least 4 mags in my pockets, concealed.
Shotgun on a sling behind me.
"How can I help you? Oh don't mind this big gun...it's just in case."

2) Marxists take over after total monetary collapse (they caused), marauding gangs of browncoats coming into my town.

.45 ACP handgun like XDm45 with 4 mags on a thigh holster.
.223 AR-15 with as many mags as I can carry on a vest.
"Where's the militia mustering?"

3) Total collapse after major population die-off.

Shotgun with 00-buck, slugs, and birdshot
.22lr semi-auto like Ruger 10-22
"Where's that pesky wabbit?"

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #18

Ha I understand but the ar-15 scene is so controversial.

Admiral Yamamoto: "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
- Dalai Lama

Old 07-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The idea of "battlefield pickups" always seems to come up in these types of threads. I agree that is a very real possibility. Don't overlook the possibility that YOU may be the source of the "battlefield pickup"! You may/will need guns that are better suited to putting dinner on the table than an AR or AK, but you will have to be able to dominate the battlespace around you. A Marlin 1894 and a S&W 19 with a 6" barrel is a great combo ( my .357 tag team) but I sure would want something else if the rabbits and deer were likely to shoot back.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:12 AM   #20

thats cheating

- Clint Eastwood

- Dalai Lama