Best long term ammo storage
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Best long term ammo storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Best long term ammo storage

Hey everyone,
I have a few boxes of Golden Sabers .45 (230gr) that I'd like to store safely, what do you guys recommend that provides a good seal and can be opened easily? I have some silica gel packs I can throw inside.

Thanks!

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Uhh...stick 'em in an ammo can? Ammo lasts a long way that way. If you want, throw in a silica gel water absorber.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #3

Ya that's what I'm asking for, any links? There is an overwhelming amount of mil surplus cans online and it's hard to tell what's best.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 04-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #4

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

All mine's in ammo cans...10 bucks at any mil-surp store...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 04-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #5

I'm gonna see if I can find a store nearby.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #6

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Check the seal, make sure it's not dried or cracked. Just dump in the loose ammo, the cardboard attracts moisture...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 04-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
Ya that's what I'm asking for, any links? There is an overwhelming amount of mil surplus cans online and it's hard to tell what's best.
Buy some that are in relatively good condition - no rust, good seals. That isn't hard to do and they shouldn't cost you more than $6 or $10 per can depending on the size. I don't have any links handy because these things are literally everywhere. Google it and yell if you have any questions.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #8

I'm thinking of ordering from there:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/used-us-military-30-cal-ammo-can.aspx?a=769380

Old 04-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #9

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Any reputable army surplus store should have plenty in all sizes laying around.

Ive got several .50 cal cans i got for 8 bucks a piece at a store near fort knox. Also got a .30 cal can i found and a 60 mm mortor can my dad gave me.

They are great for storing ammo, if the seals are good you dont have to worry about moisture. They are stackable and have thier own carry handles. In a bug out situation grab them and throw in the back off the truck and go, do that with plastic cans and the ribs in your bedliner will be full of loose rounds.

.50 cal cans are the perfect size for stacking 50 round boxes of .45 acp in. One of my cans is full of nothing but .45 ammo

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 04-12-2012 at 01:15 AM.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #10

Thanks a lot dragunovsks!