best baked bean recipe - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > best baked bean recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Yes, That was in the days when people enjoyed smooth whisky fine tobacco and black bitter coffee. A can of bacon grease and ham dripping set on a wood range. I can still smell that old kitchen. The sweet smell of hickory smoke cured pork and sour dough yeast. That was before people were taught to fear their food and water.
Gees! How many people with low fat diets will live as long as are grandparents.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:51 AM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1846 Times on 1264 Posts
Likes Given: 673

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
A little bit goes a long ways, I got a buddy of mind that puts grape jelly in his red fish and or alligator sauce picante..............Who'd a thunk it...........
Sweet and sour is a great taste and it doesn't always come from a bottle labeled LaChoy. I like grape/blackberry jelly with sausage biscuits. People rave about my cornbread. I always put a pinch of sugar in my cornbread.

You need a bit of jelly in any form of picante. It gives it a nice color and the gelatin makes the sauce thicker.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

willshoum Likes This 
Old 01-21-2014, 03:07 AM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I once.........and only once.........made molasses cookies with the blackstrap molasses and real lard. Yes, LARD!! The cookies were out of this world delicious. Not only did I think that but all the co-workers I shared them with. I never made them again, though, because of the guilt of using real lard. But I'm salivating just thinking about those cookies.
Lard is essential to making great cookies and biscuits. Research is beginning to turn around, again. Some doctors are saying lard is healthier than shortening. My doctor sees nothing wrong with lard in moderation.

My wifes family is known for being long lived. All of her ancestors born after 1900 lived into their 90's. They buy lard by the bucketful. They have a family cemetery. All her ancestors on her mothers side have been buried there since the 1830s. Long lived isn't just talk, you can take a short walk to see how long they lived.

People Like This 
Old 01-21-2014, 03:27 AM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 238 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
When buying "Black Strap" molasses or 3rd boil of sugar make sure it is non-sulfured. "Black Strap" molasses is a product resulting from the 3rd boiling process of sugar cane or beets. If the label reads sulfured it means the product is made from early or green sugar cane. The non-sulfured product is made from sun ripened cane and has more nutrients and flavor. The Black Strap product is also more commonly used in industrial products and livestock feeds.
The best and most flavorful product is made from the African Sorghum Grass. Sorghum has been used in sweeteners in America since the 1850s. Sorghum is an acquired taste and is very popular in Ante-Bellum Southern cooking.
Actually the sulphur is added to the hot molasses to enhance sugar crystallization as the percent of sugar in the molasses decreases during the processing. You boil down the initial squeeze then let it cool, which causes most of the sugar to crystallize. You then reboil and condense the solution further and cool it again, crystallizing more sugar out. By the third boiling/condensing it is getting harder to get sugar to crystallize because the sugar content decreases every time. The sulphur is added because it is more soluble in water than the sugar and promotes the sugar crystallization. This results in a bitter molasses that contains about a third to fourth of the sugar of unsulphured molasses.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:43 AM   #85

Well maybe in your world. But the sulfur was added long before anyone new about the chemical process. Green Sorghum grass needed the sulfur for taste. To this day sun cured Sorghum grass does not need the sulfur. If you ever cooked with it you will buy the non-sulfured. Lets just leave these old recipes simple.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:42 AM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Going to put bacon on the shopping list for tomorrow.

In the South, it is still possible to buy LARD by the bucket but in the East, it's harder to come by. I'll put it on the shopping list as well.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:15 AM   #87

Gonzilla you can go to some ethnic markets like Mexican and others. They will have pork lard. During world War II Lard was rationed very closely. It was needed for making explosives. It was a source of Glycerin.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:40 AM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Going to put bacon on the shopping list for tomorrow.

In the South, it is still possible to buy LARD by the bucket but in the East, it's harder to come by. I'll put it on the shopping list as well.
IGA, Aldis and Moss's carry lard by the bucket.

You can order a 64 oz bucket from Walmart online.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Armour-Lard-64-Oz/10449262

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-21-2014 at 05:43 AM.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:44 AM   #89

Gonzillia is up in the North East the big chains do not carry lard.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #90
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Cholesterol scare tactics from both the media and the medical community. They have the people feeling guilty over their breakfast choices.

They used to breed Hogs for Lard. Cajun Chef was giving a class on gumbo and he said Lard had less saturated fat than butter. He was making roux. No idea if it's true.

Remember the moive, "My Cousin Vinnie ?" There was a scene where they are ordering breakfast and the cook floats a brick of Lard over the flat top. The actors react in horror. (Typical of East Coast Elite)