You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

best baked bean recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #31
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13148 Times on 7530 Posts
Likes Given: 19746

Home made are the best. But in a pinch, Bush's canned beans aren't too bad. The Steakhouse flavour ones are pretty yummy.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22419 Times on 12500 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Home made are the best. But in a pinch, Bush's canned beans aren't too bad. The Steakhouse flavour ones are pretty yummy.
dang it Winds! you gonna make my grandmother turn over in her grave hearing talk like that!

Old 01-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1933 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Aged............

I'm down to my last jar of cane syrup, It was the light type when it was given to me, now five years later its darkened and really has some kick. Never seen the inside of a frigerater................Look out flap jacks and butter............... If I get the itch to try and type out the page and a half about the beans I'll get your goat on this one...............
Old 01-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #34
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 855 Times on 496 Posts

As to adding meat to beans: it makes available protein. The beans don't have enough balanced amino acids to form complete protein. Adding the meat adds the rest of the amino acids.

Also, when serving beans that don't have meat in the recipe, you can get the necessary proteins by serving them with any of the cereal grains besides wheat. Not surprisingly, corn and rice are the best at adding the correct amounts of amino acids.

This lead to traditional pairings like, beans and rice, beans and cornbread, and succotash.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1933 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default A fart in the night. Or wind.................

If, my dear Rural, you should ever wish For breakfast or dinner a tempting dish. you must read the rules I here lay down. And around you fall the shades of night, A large deep dish you prepare; a quart of beans select with care. And pick them over, untill you find. Not a speck or mote is left behind...............stop............
Old 01-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #36

Liked 2389 Times on 1497 Posts
Likes Given: 6129

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post
As to adding meat to beans: it makes available protein. The beans don't have enough balanced amino acids to form complete protein. Adding the meat adds the rest of the amino acids.

Also, when serving beans that don't have meat in the recipe, you can get the necessary proteins by serving them with any of the cereal grains besides wheat. Not surprisingly, corn and rice are the best at adding the correct amounts of amino acids.

This lead to traditional pairings like, beans and rice, beans and cornbread, and succotash.
I remember the first time I heard that (at this site I believe) and the first thing I thought about was how so many people have eaten beans and cornbread for generations. It always made me wonder how they figured out to eat the combination of the two when they didn't have a clue as to what proteins were? Did they just crave the corn bread with beans because the combination was nutritious or did the people that ate the two together just end up being healthier and thus encouraging others to eat it? Regardless it made me realize that there was more wisdom to some of the old ways than many of us will ever realize.
People Like This 
Old 01-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #37
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 13148 Times on 7530 Posts
Likes Given: 19746

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
I'm down to my last jar of cane syrup, It was the light type when it was given to me, now five years later its darkened and really has some kick. Never seen the inside of a frigerater................Look out flap jacks and butter............... If I get the itch to try and type out the page and a half about the beans I'll get your goat on this one...............
My sorghum and molasses never sees the fridge, either. And every rare once in a while, I get a craving and just eat a small spoon full of sorghum. YUM!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I remember the first time I heard that (at this site I believe) and the first thing I thought about was how so many people have eaten beans and cornbread for generations. It always made me wonder how they figured out to eat the combination of the two when they didn't have a clue as to what proteins were? Did they just crave the corn bread with beans because the combination was nutritious or did the people that ate the two together just end up being healthier and thus encouraging others to eat it? Regardless it made me realize that there was more wisdom to some of the old ways than many of us will ever realize.
Not to start up another evolution debate, but I think it was just kind of 'instinct' that people and animals know what a body needs. And yes, cravings. When I was pregnant, I craved cheese and milk. I'm sure it was my body's way of telling me I needed calcium. Even though we are humans, we are still very much 'animal'...just with more reasoning power, self control and free will.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #38
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22419 Times on 12500 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
TL, i asked my granny many, many years ago when i was a youngster why she put that salt pork in the pinto beans when she cooked them. her answer. because it added flavor and my papa like the flavor of her beans!

but seriously, i think alot of people who grew up on beans and cornbread and rice and turnip greens and other such foods was that they were cheap, easy to fix and would go a long ways in feeding a large group of hungry people. plus it was filling.

eat a big mess of beans and cornbread, fried taters, some fresh onion and a big glass of sweet tea, and you will be plumb worthless the rest of the day because you're full as a tick!

Old 01-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
My sorghum and molasses never sees the fridge, either. And every rare once in a while, I get a craving and just eat a small spoon full of sorghum. YUM!!!!

Not to start up another evolution debate, but I think it was just kind of 'instinct' that people and animals know what a body needs. And yes, cravings. When I was pregnant, I craved cheese and milk. I'm sure it was my body's way of telling me I needed calcium. Even though we are humans, we are still very much 'animal'...just with more reasoning power, self control and free will.
I had a similar experience. I was really sick for a long time and I was constantly craving chicken for every meal, and I had never really cared for chicken before then. It turns out I was allergic to beef and pork and they were making me sick. I never conscientiously realized they were making me sick but my body knew something I didn't and it wanted chicken. I agree completely with your thoughts on "instincts" and that was one of the things I had in mind when wondering how people came up beans and cornbread.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
TL, i asked my granny many, many years ago when i was a youngster why she put that salt pork in the pinto beans when she cooked them. her answer. because it added flavor and my papa like the flavor of her beans!

but seriously, i think alot of people who grew up on beans and cornbread and rice and turnip greens and other such foods was that they were cheap, easy to fix and would go a long ways in feeding a large group of hungry people. plus it was filling.

eat a big mess of beans and cornbread, fried taters, some fresh onion and a big glass of sweet tea, and you will be plumb worthless the rest of the day because you're full as a tick!
I agree completely with them being cheap and easy which is why they were a favorite among poor people, but I think there is more to it? I think that feeling of being full and satisfied comes from getting all the nutrients you need, and then some? If beans and cornbread in combination didn't form a complete protein along with some calories from fat in the seasoning then I don't think we would get that full feeling and I don't think beans and cornbread would have ever become such an important part of our diet. But they also had to be cheap and easy to grow which is why we are talking about beans instead of caviar.
Axxe55 Likes This