Believing in a SHTF situation - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Believing in a SHTF situation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 05:13 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

i can trace my kin back to civil war confederate states, to my grandfather in WW2 to my father in Vietnam what we must remember is we will prefail many good men will die in honor but we will survive we have been threw hard times before and we can do it again keep that mind set and not the doom and gloom that the end is near

Old 11-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #22
JLM

Hmmm... What a question. Yes, Yes I do Believe the SHTF. The question is how and when? I think just by looking at the way politics around the world are "regulating" and "solving" problems that maybe it might happen sooner rather then later.

My generation (Me being 25) Have't really seen any hard times like my father who was of age for the end of WWII and the food rationing that occurred during that time period, and my grandparents who were part of WWII, WWI for the older generations. I guess I would have been a child during the end of the cold war but that didn't affect me personally or anyone I know. Being Canadian, I haven't seen too many hardships, but you can see and feel with the economy the way it is around the world something is a brewing. I believe this to be something that will affect the world.

The population is higher then ever! what 7Billion now? How many more people can this planet support? Something is going to give at some point in time to set the balance again. We have seen a lot of natural disasters in the past few years, more so then any other historically documented time period. If nothing ells this is putting more pressure on the government. Eventually all the small things will accumulate and there will be a collapse in civilised society.

I know in my area we are starting to see more homelessness because wages are staying the same but the cost of living is increasing. Two years ago i could buy a good 3 bedroom home for 150,000 to 200,000. My folks got there place 30 years ago for 10,000. Now im lucky if i can buy a small town house for 300 000, and that same 3 bedroom home sold not long ago (belonged to a friend of mine) for 600 000... Some thing is going to give... It's only a matter of time. I dont know what, but I think if things keep going the way they are, it will be a collapse in government.

Just my 2c

Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #23
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2227 Times on 1202 Posts
Likes Given: 802

SHTF is happening everyday somewhere in this world. Although here in the US it may not happen as often as someplace like Haiti, it still happens. Last time that comes to my mind was Kartrina.

Years ago a friend of mine told me about a study done by the Pentagon about SHTF scenarios. The study indicated that society will continue to work for only about 3 days if the basic civic infrastructure breaks down (electric, water, health care, food). After 3 days, it's every man for himself. If you see that happen, get out of Dodge. For my wife and me, I'd probably head to my parents place about 25 miles away in a small town. That environment would probably be easier to "control" than hear in the metro area where we live.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 11-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #24

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The fact that SHTF doesn't happen as often on a large scale here in the US is part of the reason I think it will be even worse when it finally does happen. Remember too that most of the worlds smallest countries combined will easily fit within the CONUS, therefor, what we consider to be a local event (likey katrina) could be a nationwide catastrophe almost anywhere else in the world. How bad would it have been if the state of LA were a country into itself when katrina hit, without the support of the rest of the US (however flawed that support may have been)?

Old 11-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Forrest Gump...

Mother Nature is coming to pay a visit, she's already sent you a heads up of whats to come in the very near future, wait for it and be prepared if you do survive the hell in store for the whole world, not just the U.S. What you gonna do when the lights go out........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 11-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum
Mother Nature is coming to pay a visit, she's already sent you a heads up of whats to come in the very near future, wait for it and be prepared if you do survive the hell in store for the whole world, not just the U.S. What you gonna do when the lights go out........
I think I'll light a candle, load some guns, grab a loaf of bread, and hide under a blanket in the corner.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #27
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2125 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM View Post
Hmmm... What a question. Yes, Yes I do Believe the SHTF. The question is how and when? I think just by looking at the way politics around the world are "regulating" and "solving" problems that maybe it might happen sooner rather then later.

My generation (Me being 25) Have't really seen any hard times like my father who was of age for the end of WWII and the food rationing that occurred during that time period, and my grandparents who were part of WWII, WWI for the older generations. I guess I would have been a child during the end of the cold war but that didn't affect me personally or anyone I know. Being Canadian, I haven't seen too many hardships, but you can see and feel with the economy the way it is around the world something is a brewing. I believe this to be something that will affect the world.

The population is higher then ever! what 7Billion now? How many more people can this planet support? Something is going to give at some point in time to set the balance again. We have seen a lot of natural disasters in the past few years, more so then any other historically documented time period. If nothing ells this is putting more pressure on the government. Eventually all the small things will accumulate and there will be a collapse in civilised society.

I know in my area we are starting to see more homelessness because wages are staying the same but the cost of living is increasing. Two years ago i could buy a good 3 bedroom home for 150,000 to 200,000. My folks got there place 30 years ago for 10,000. Now im lucky if i can buy a small town house for 300 000, and that same 3 bedroom home sold not long ago (belonged to a friend of mine) for 600 000... Some thing is going to give... It's only a matter of time. I dont know what, but I think if things keep going the way they are, it will be a collapse in government.

Just my 2c
It is called a housing bubble. Ours burst a couple of years ago and prices are still dropping. Phoenix is expected to drop another 10%. Your fellow Canadians are buying up houses here at bargain rates and I cant blame them. They are probably the mainstay of the housing market.
Government propaganda is saying everything is getting better but I dont see it. Food prices have jumped. Utilities are trying to raise rates. Property taxes that should have dropped have actually gone up. Medical costs are quadrupling. Our medical insurance is up 50%. If Obamacare is not repealed it will be 3 times higher. My wife needs eye surgery and this year the co-pay would be $100. Next year it will be $400. The vets are getting screwed also. Obamacare was deliberately written to deny health care to the seniors and veterans. We are an unproductive burden to the New World Order.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #28
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2125 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
SHTF is happening everyday somewhere in this world. Although here in the US it may not happen as often as someplace like Haiti, it still happens. Last time that comes to my mind was Kartrina.

Years ago a friend of mine told me about a study done by the Pentagon about SHTF scenarios. The study indicated that society will continue to work for only about 3 days if the basic civic infrastructure breaks down (electric, water, health care, food). After 3 days, it's every man for himself. If you see that happen, get out of Dodge. For my wife and me, I'd probably head to my parents place about 25 miles away in a small town. That environment would probably be easier to "control" than hear in the metro area where we live.
I would have thought a week or two. Maybe because we live in a relatively small city. We have a lot of snowbirds in town until May but a lot of them are in RV's and could be fairly self sufficient. Still it would put a much larger strain on the food supply and things could get ugly quickly as people try to buy up food. The City would have to enact emergency rules and I doubt if our mayor and city council are up to that.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I would have thought a week or two.
I know someone that either shops everyday or gets takeout everyday. If the shelves were suddenly wiped clean (aka Katrina), she'd be screwed. The thing most everybody forgets about, electricity and water. you lose those, all bets are off.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default When the lights go out........

When the last storm blew thru La. It was hell for those that stayed. Unless you were PREPARED.....My small generator kept my ref. and freezers going. and a fan to keep me from sweating whilst trying to sleep in the heat and humidity..... bathing was out of the question, flushing toilets no, no running water. We were lucky that the natural gas wasn't shut off because thats what the generator ran on for two weeks straight.... My gas bill ran about $750.00 God Bless Natural gas........Canned food and MRES kept me fed. My wife and grand kids were stuck in Houston untill the O K was given to return home..... I'll never leave un less the water rises above my home, an then I'll think about it while it's rising..........Remember, Water, food, guns, an AMMO..........And the ability to make fire with out matches..... Be safe my friends.........For ever V..........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........