Believing in a SHTF situation - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Believing in a SHTF situation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
You have, in this life, seen what happens when society breaks down, right?

Rodney King Riots?

Katrina?

Things like that?

People WILL lose the sense God gave them when SHTF and the infrastructure they rely on is compromised.

You want proof?

Review the police blotter from anywhere that lost power for more than three days.

JD
This....

Prepare for this with food, supplies and means to protect yourself. Most people can't last a couple of days without going to the store or restocking themselves in some way. Once they're no longer comfortable they're upset and without a social structure they freak out.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #12

Likes Given: 6

Yes we will have a major SHTF I hope it does not last for years but no way to tell so keep on prepping!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #13

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkinney1 View Post
Yes we will have a major SHTF I hope it does not last for years but no way to tell so keep on prepping!
I feel that a good rule of thumb is to prep for a minimum of 5 years survival. And then, just keep stocking. With a mind towards making it go even longer, like by having the know how and the information to do things like make your own fuel, clothes and shoes.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1325 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Think Katrina, people that stayed were in a world of hurt. Can that possibly happen on a larger scale? If it does, it will get very very ugly. I'm keeping a close eye on the mess with the Euro and the PIGS. that has the potential to cascade all the way back here.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1578 Posts
Likes Given: 810

When Yellowstone blows again, the disaster zone will be a 500 mile radius. That is 785,000 square miles. How do you evacuate an area that size with possibly a few days notice. How many will believe it is happening? What will happen to law and order when people panic? When it will blow is not known. It could be next week or 1000 years from now. We can not predict when cataclysmic events will happen. We only know they will happen because they have happened in the past.
We know the San Andreus fault in CA will break loose yet people still live on it. We know Cascadia (OR & WA) is overdue for a major earthquake but life goes on as usual. We know there will be another tsunami but for now the coast is alive and bustling. When Mt St Helens blew, some people did not believe how bad it would be and stayed/died despite plenty of warning.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #16

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
When Yellowstone blows again, the disaster zone will be a 500 mile radius. That is 785,000 square miles. How do you evacuate an area that size with possibly a few days notice. How many will believe it is happening? What will happen to law and order when people panic? When it will blow is not known. It could be next week or 1000 years from now. We can not predict when cataclysmic events will happen. We only know they will happen because they have happened in the past.
We know the San Andreus fault in CA will break loose yet people still live on it. We know Cascadia (OR & WA) is overdue for a major earthquake but life goes on as usual. We know there will be another tsunami but for now the coast is alive and bustling. When Mt St Helens blew, some people did not believe how bad it would be and stayed/died despite plenty of warning.
What's the ground swell in Yellowstone up to now? Last I heard I think it was something like 37 feet.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You never know what is just around the corner. Think "your" neighborhood. We in mine have to worry about wildfires, the 2 tons of chlorine stored over at the water treatment center and a spot called Santa Fe Junction where 2 interstate high pressure gas lines merge. Every time the terror threat is elevated we have to post a police officer there. But even on a smaller scale, wife forgets to pay elect bill and it is after hours when you discover you have no power, yes she did it. Or how about a tornado or flood in a section of your city and family members show up at your home battered and bleeding by the storm and power is out area wide. These are all SHTF. Even if it's just your fan, it is better to be prepared. The world is on shaken ground but the bottom may not fall out. There are a lot of us who are not on the nightly news who still believe in America. Find a 90 yr old Greek person that lived through the revolution. Let them tell you the stories of living 2 years under rocks. Working all day hard labor for 1 or 2 shotgun shells just so you can attempt to shoot a bird for the family meal. Miss your target and no one eats. What the communists did to you when they caught you? True stories of real a SHTF event. Know some old Jewish people with tattoos? I'll bet their home is filled with hidden stashes of food and a gun with enough rounds for each member of the family, their not going through it again. So if your waiting on Yellowstone, an EMP or FEMA you may miss the real SHTF in your life.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1948 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 4362

I don't think an all out SHTF situation is likely anytime soon, but I could be wrong? I also think everyone should make every attempt to be as self sufficient as possible regardless of SHTF. You can never be free if you can't provide for yourself.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker
I don't think an all out SHTF situation is likely anytime soon, but I could be wrong? I also think everyone should make every attempt to be as self sufficient as possible regardless of SHTF. You can never be free if you can't provide for yourself.
Has anyone thought about another major economic depression?

While we are currently in a pretty bad recession, some folks think that we will come out of it unscathed.

The reality is this:

A few countries around the world are completely broke. Our country is borrowing money left and right and scrambling to pay it back. Hell, a few months ago, I had to worry about not receiving a paycheck while deployed to Afghanistan!!!

Another Depression, like our depression in the brig inning of this century would devastate and quite possibly end our country. Here's why:

1- Population...... There are nearly 5 times more people in this country now than there were back then. That means there would be more outs to feed, more cars to fuel, more households to heat, and more criminals and/or vagrants that will try to rob, steal, and hurt people for what they have.

2- Less natural resources. During the first depression, there was MUCH more petroleum, water, and even fresh air!

Many experts believe that if the stock market fell and everyone lost all their money/savings, there would be widespread pain and crime.
Marshal law would be enacted as law enforcement would not be able to control the population.

Back then, people were brought up better and had better values and morals instilled in them. Nowadays, sadly, it is not so.

Even the military, it is expected, four lose up to 44% of its ranks as soldiers, who would not receive a paycheck, would simply quit and go AWOL. (I wouldn't, but I can assure you that many would.)

So, in essence, another depression could likely be our next SHTF scenario.....

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant!....... Not the skunk smellin' stuff in your BugOut bag!!! The stuff that makes you hit that target

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #20

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The basic societal safety net is the power/gas/water supplies and the ability to "go down to the local grocery store" and/or order pizza or other delivery.

Take that away for one day, no problem. Make it three, people begin to panic.

A week and people start to lose their god damn minds!!

2006 - Here in Washington State some folks were out of power for as long as 11 days. On day 5 we had to hire off duty police to monitor the parking lots and "employee" entrances because people went bananas!

If you think you ARE NOT 72 rough hours away from urban chaos I urge you to watch the news during the next big flood, power outage, Hurricane's impact or earthquake.

When SHTF - the people who are prepared will be the ones making, and keeping, the rules/laws.

YMMV, but I kind of doubt it.

JD