Been on the site for a little while....... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Been on the site for a little while.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hit the store today. More rice, beans, spam. Packed it away wife dosent even know its here. She might complain now but I will bet if we were out she would like it. Unless you have been really hungry (starving) or been in the military under less than perfect circumstances you dont now how to enjoy simple stuff like beans and some salt.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

^^^ Ramen noodles are cheap enough that your spouse probably wouldn't complain if you picked up a case or three; watch the sodium though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I have a generator. But I don't like to keep more than an extra 10 gallons of gas around the house. I guess if it came down to it we could syphon it out of one of the cars.
My parents told me after hurricane Katrina that they bought a neighbor's fuel from their crushed Expedition/Shortbus. They used it in the generator & did their best to cook & eat all of the frozen veggies ASAP.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3369 Times on 1929 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Pizza on a propane grill is quick and tastes better than made in an oven.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just curious, in a ****f situation, and when there are no supplies to be had and the mobs start hitting house to house to find supplies, if you just hunker down in place, are you going to have enough people to perform guard duty 24/7, then if you don't, you wont be able to keep what you have or probably your life or your families.Remember there is safety in numbers that you can trust, and don't count on the Military and Leo to keep you safe, because they will only be interested in keeping the infrastructure in place, food and fuel will be one of the items and it is rumored that that will be for the LEO and Military and the officials of said area, it will not be released to the consumer.
I have a 7x18 foot cargo trailer with 3months supply with every thing I will need to survive with the people going with me, the reason of 3months, it might take that long to get where my cache is, once there, I have about 4 years of food along with a good supply of ammo, as of right now there are about 200 that will be there, and more are deciding to go every day.If you do decide th just hunker down, at least try to get people you can trust the hunker down a a group, that is the only way you will have a chance.

Layton

Old 07-08-2010, 04:25 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good point layton.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-08-2010, 05:08 AM   #16

Liked 1434 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
Just curious, in a ****f situation, and when there are no supplies to be had and the mobs start hitting house to house to find supplies, if you just hunker down in place, are you going to have enough people to perform guard duty 24/7, then if you don't, you wont be able to keep what you have or probably your life or your families.Remember there is safety in numbers that you can trust, and don't count on the Military and Leo to keep you safe, because they will only be interested in keeping the infrastructure in place, food and fuel will be one of the items and it is rumored that that will be for the LEO and Military and the officials of said area, it will not be released to the consumer.
I have a 7x18 foot cargo trailer with 3months supply with every thing I will need to survive with the people going with me, the reason of 3months, it might take that long to get where my cache is, once there, I have about 4 years of food along with a good supply of ammo, as of right now there are about 200 that will be there, and more are deciding to go every day.If you do decide th just hunker down, at least try to get people you can trust the hunker down a a group, that is the only way you will have a chance.

Layton
Layton, where ya been?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Layton, where ya been?
I been stocking up on ammo,food and supplies for what we all should know is coming, also been going to the Hill Country and trying to get in shape and remember what and how I survived in the previous life so long ago.

Thanks for asking

Layton

Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3369 Times on 1929 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

What worked for us during after hurricane was relying on neighbors who were in the same situation and had the same concerns at the time.
We figured out that for at least three days, we were on our own. No outside help at all (including medical). Our "little community" may not work in Kansas or New York City, but for the hurricanes we have been through, it works for us.
The other "Plus" is that you do not have to rely on one person alone to think of everything. Everyone has input.
There may not be one answer to each situation, but one has to learn to adapt. Plan for the worse, and hope for the best.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #19

We have Mastiffs in the house that I can split the guard duty with. I do have one really good neighbor who Im sure we would watch out for each other as we do now. I dont depend on LE now so that wont be a concern of mine.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
What worked for us during after hurricane was relying on neighbors who were in the same situation and had the same concerns at the time.
We figured out that for at least three days, we were on our own. No outside help at all (including medical). Our "little community" may not work in Kansas or New York City, but for the hurricanes we have been through, it works for us.
The other "Plus" is that you do not have to rely on one person alone to think of everything. Everyone has input.
There may not be one answer to each situation, but one has to learn to adapt. Plan for the worse, and hope for the best.
Here in Houston after the last Hurricane, the ones on our street did basically the same thing, we got together and more or less patrolled the street to keep ck on the ones houses that did evacuate, we finally after about 2 1/2 weeks did see a patrol car, they stopped and thanked us for helping us out, they said they were just overwhelmed and could no answer all calls that came in.It was a little over a month that we were without electricity.

Layton