Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Been on the site for a little while.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Been on the site for a little while.......

first time on this forum. I have always read with real intrest as to other peoples thoughts as to what they would do if the shtf. Some people like to sit back and laugh and say some of us are way to parnoid. Perhaps some of us might be but Id rather have a parnoid prepared neighbor than some unprepared fool who comes to me because he did not think ahead. With the way things have been going for the last year or so Id say we have plenty to be concerned about. In terms of bugging out I have changed my thoughts some. Living in NW Ohio there isnt really anywhere to go to. We already live in the country as mentioned there really isnt anywhere that I know of (within about 100 plus miles) to go. I decided our best bet would be to hunker down and see what happens. I do keep a warm and cold weather BOB packed along with web gear, ammo, mags, etc. in case we had to vacate in a hurry. But given the chance to defend what we have and I felt we could come out on top Im staying where I am.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm glad you decided to speak up. To my way of thinking, it's much better to bug in. Refugees are victims waiting to happen.

As far as being prepared for SHTF, natural disaster or whatever, it only makes sense. It's good insurance and if it's not needed, no harm, no foul.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #3

Better being in NW Ohio then Columbus! I have to make good bug out plans, you don't!

Stocking up on canned goods never hurt anyone. If I look like a nut I'll at least be a well fed nut when SHTF.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:27 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

GMACK,

Having spent alot of time in NW Ohio, I concur. There is nowhere to go, except maybe Canada...You could maybe try to hide out in the middle of a corn field.

Seriously, I think you have the right idea. Hunker down and have a plan for keeping your family safe, warm and fed. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Do you have a generator? If not, then put one on your shopping list. Stay strong, brother, and follow your plan.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #5

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

My wife always keeps a pantry full of food. We buy stuff in bulk at Sam's Club. Cans of tuna, chicken breast and turkey breast. They are great for salads and stuff like that. We use everything that we have. We just keep it replenished. In a pinch you could live a long time on canned goods. I have a generator. But I don't like to keep more than an extra 10 gallons of gas around the house. I guess if it came down to it we could syphon it out of one of the cars. We also have a water cooler that uses the 5 gallon bottles. We never have less than 15 gallons of water as a back up.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:08 AM   #6

I like corn I think we are doing the same thing two we should be able to live off what we have we live in remote NM anyways.

Admiral Yamamoto: "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
- Dalai Lama

Old 07-07-2010, 02:14 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

I've been through a couple of hurricanes, and learn more each time. No electricity for 5 days, looters in the area, food shortages, neighbors needing assistance, fuel shortages, water shortages, streets blocked by trees, will teach a lot.
We used to evacuate, but with the traffic deadlocked so one can only go 10 miles distance in 7 hours, you learn the best place is the one you know best.
I have my safe room, extra fuel, food, water, ammo. I feel comfortable staying put.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

I forgot to mention, that ATM's and check cashing is out of the question. While the gas stations may have fuel, there is no electricity to work the pumps. People with gas water heaters laugh and say that they have hot water, but forget that electricity is used in those too.
Now, put all these together and do it for the whole county. With National Guard, Deuce and a half's running around, patrols not letting you onto your street without "papers" to show you live there, you have the basic SHTF.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Welcome to the forum.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #10

ill stay at home no way to pack all that i think i need