Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > basic survival/emergency supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2375 Times on 1387 Posts
Likes Given: 1515

Default basic survival/emergency supplies

ok, apologies...i'm sure this has been covered a bzillion times. why not a bzillion and one?

i want to get together a very basic emergency pack. initially, i am thinking for a two week period, as a short term type of emergency pack. eventually, i will work towards some more long term emergency supplies.

for now, just so i don't overlook anything obvious.....

could you please list me the top 10-20 items that will be most useful for such an emergency pack? it will just be to help me make sure i cover most of the basics for short term emergency supplies.

thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6104 Times on 3348 Posts
Likes Given: 11734

Keep a stash of whatever medications you regularly take. Rotate them whenever you get prescriptions filled.

no offense and none taken

Old 06-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 276

The Mormons have some very extensive survival information available on line. They cover about everything from natural disasters on out.

No, I am not a Mormon. But they have some very good survival knowledge that is there for anyone to study.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #4

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts

Default basic survival/emergency supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty60 View Post
The Mormons have some very extensive survival information available on line. They cover about everything from natural disasters on out.

No, I am not a Mormon. But they have some very good survival knowledge that is there for anyone to study.
Never knew that. I will check it out, thanks

LOL,on a side note when I first read it I thought you said MORONS.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Just really quick off the top of my head (so I know I'm going to forget stuff), but things should include: bandages/gauze, rope, matches/lighter, lighter fluid, water, cutting tool, tape, medications (as previously mentioned), rubbing alcohol/peroxide...I know there's a bunch of other stuff, but this was just a quick off the top of my head list. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8449 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Water, food, shelter.

You can only pack so much water- weight and bulk. But you CAN pack a canteen (and canteen cup), and water purification tabs, or a water filter.

Food- again, bulk and weight. Freeze dried helps. Things like instant cocoa can pack a lot of calories.

Shelter- simple tube tent, space blanket, parachute cord.

Beyond that, items mentioned. A Leatherman or Swiss Army knife. Lighter AND waterproof matches. Candles. Flashlight.

Meds, basic first aid stuff, Immodium, sunscreen. Spare socks. Some cash. Mine has a mini AM-FM radio with earbud. Keychain OC pepper spray. Compass hooked to pack w/ lanyard. And this:

survival-kit-dr-strangelove-part-1-demotivational-poster-1268243110.jpg

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 06-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 445 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 144

I also have cordage and a sewing kit and safety pins in all of my kits,, I have several in vehicles, hunting pack, even one in the briefcase,, minus some certain hardware,,, great flick c3,,,,

Old 06-19-2014, 01:14 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1075 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2015

I apologize up front but I just over think things and I can't help it. So now I have a bunch of questions running through my head like what is the purpose of this bag? A get home bag or 72 hour bag is lite weight and it's purpose is to get you through a couple of days so that you can get home if you get caught out away from home. It's for a short period of time. A two week bag is entirely different. I'm not sure if you could carry enough stuff for two weeks so that means instead of supplies you need to be thinking tools. For example instead of canned food you would need some fishing line and hooks to catch fish. And where would you be going to and how long would it take to get there? What supplies would you have when you arrived at your location? Or is this more of an indefinite travel pack for whatever?

Old 06-19-2014, 02:27 AM   #9

Liked 2375 Times on 1387 Posts
Likes Given: 1515

thanks for the input and good questions, tlurk.

to a degree, i'm not completely sure. my first instinct was not a grab and go bag (yet). i was just thinking of some all around things to keep around (probably in a tote or such) in case of emergency weather or any other major concern. some short term items, some maybe longer term items as well.

i have started with a good water filter. not sure where to go from there. eventually i think camping and fishing equipment, etc. (i haven't had either in years i'm sad to say).

sorry, i don't feel like i'm giving you much to go off of....

Old 06-19-2014, 02:29 AM   #10

Liked 240 Times on 171 Posts

I have been drinking wine and watching Lone Survivor. All I have to add is a large caliber weapon and lots of ammo. 😁

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk